SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cloths dryer replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cloths dryer replacement Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
My natural gas cloths dryer has died and needs to be replaced.
I don't need any fancy settings as we only use the basic dryer setting.
The largest capacity would be our main concern.
Who is making the most reliable cloths dryers now.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
Maytag is probably going to be the most reliable. I bought an LG washer and dryer set a couple of years ago that has been great so far and have a 10-year warranty.

The best is subject to personal opinion and everyone has their favorite. The due I went with had great reviews, that's why I picked them.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen, made in the USA. Check them out during your search.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I just recently replaced our washer and dryer both with Speed Queens. Washer is front end loader and dryer is electric, but I am beyond happy with Speed Queen as a product and it’s results. Customer service is also great! I never would have known about them if it wasn’t for the forum and best purchase I made. If Speed Queen makes a gas dryer, then I would highly recommend to go with them. Don’t get scared by price. The versions we bought are commercial use quality but just made for home use.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I just noticed in my sons college dorm they have Speed Queen!! If they can handle the dorm, I'm sure they can handle households!!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife absolutely loves her new GE Smart gas dryer and front-load washing machine. They're both high-capacity.

But, as the model line name suggests: They're smart. She didn't think she'd use that, but I set them up on the network for her, anyway, and she's finding the status notifications useful Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:
Maytag is probably going to be the most reliable.

Maytag isn't what they used to be...

Speed Queen should be towards the top.

Maytag and Speed Queen used to be the two commercial players.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
The new Speed Queen dryers are E Star.
You may be able to get a rebate from your power company.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've had my analog Speed Queen set for maybe 10 years now and they're still going strong for what that's worth. I'm hoping they outlive me and wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen all the way followed by Maytag/Whirlpool (same manuf.). GE appliances are owned by the Chicoms.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3975 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just replaced our 28-year-old washer and gas dryer with LGs from Best Buy, so far both work fine. Best Buy did not have any gas dryers in stock and they were (I think) $100 more, so we went with electric.

Some cites no longer allow gas appliances to save the planet. Roll Eyes

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Last year we replaced our washer and gas dryer with Speed Queen analogs. Wife is happy with both, hopefully they hold up to their reputation.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
We fixed ours for the price of an eight dollar electro-magnetic solenoid.

YouTube is rich w information on repairs.

It would’ve cost us $200 just to have the dude come out and look at it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I was stunned at the cost of new dryers so I decided to see about fixing the one I have.

I bought a thermo fuse and a new belt for about $30. I will replace those parts and see what happens, maybe save $1000+ dollars.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto on looking at a DIY repair. Very often, a $30 or $90 part will get your dryer up and going again for years. Most of your dryer is probably quite serviceable. But “for want of a nail” as the saying goes. Check out YouTube for your specific model and symptoms of the errant machine, if it’s broke already, no harm in giving it a go.

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
We replaced our Bosch washer and dryer with Speed Queen analog models about 5 years ago.
The Bosch washer had a few problems over the years, but I was able to fix it, until parts were no longer available.

So far, no issues with the Speed Queens. Coincidentally, In the apartment building I used to live in, the coin-operated machines in the building's laundry room were all Speed Queens.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 40-year-old side-by-side Kenmore/whirlpools were replaced with Whirlpool stacked front loaders.

The guy who delivered the new ones asked if he could keep them I said yes.

No problems so far.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post