SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backyard chickens?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backyard chickens? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I'm almost done with this small (8 x 6) unit:

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Chick threads usually wind up with naked pics. Not good.

Oh, wait... Never mind.

Nice coop!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, nice henhouse, I like the color scheme also.

Further down the road, I see eggs & crispy fried chicken! Mmmmmmmmmm!

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Very nice. Are snakes or racoons in the area?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I had chickens, then I had a fisher cat......I no longer have chickens!
good looking coop!

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Be careful, it's a slippery slope. It's relaxing to watch them fritter about. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
We do have coons, possums, the occasional chicken hawk. I will need to beef up the base of the yard with some hardware cloth in the ground, possibly some heavy pavers around the perimeter. The sides are all hardware cloth. The coop proper is 2x3 frame, 1/2" plywood sheath with the T1-11 over that.

Still a few issues to work out. Winter will see a heated water dispenser and also some low watt panel-type heaters in the coop.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Chick threads usually wind up with naked pics.

H&K-Guy

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Chick threads usually wind up with naked pics.

H&K-Guy

HA! You are one sick monkey. Get help. Get help now.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A hot chick:

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Your chickens

Have come home

to roost Smile

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3497 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Looks eggcellent. I love it that more and more folks are keeping small flocks around

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Still a few issues to work out. Winter will see a heated water dispenser and also some low watt panel-type heaters in the coop.

I've been keeping layers for almost 30 years here in Maine.

While the heated water source is obviously necessary, supplemental heat in the coop is not. The birds do just fine through our Maine winters with just a little extra corn in their diet. Even more so in a small coop like that. Mine is 10 x 12 with 8 foot walls, uninsulated and unheated.

With the dust and the bedding, heat lamps and such are more of a fire hazard than a benefit IMHO.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Be sure to recycle the manure.
Does a wonderful job in your vegetable garden.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:

Word of advice, don't add heaters to the coop unless it gets very, very cold. The birds will become dependent on them and if you lose power the birds will freeze. If there is no heater they will get used to the cold. The key is to avoid drafts while having adequate ventilation to remove humidity.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
This is the heater I was thinking of using for extreme cold. Runs about 60w, about 4" x 3", clips to a DIN rail. But, yeah, they're birds, so I agree that they can manage well inside a box away from direct exposure.

RB

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Studies have shown that blue and yellow color combinations are relaxing to chickens and they will lay twice as many eggs.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Hey, I like it though. Smile

I thought they just used good old heat lamps during the winter months?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
My wife handled the paint. I think she did a great job.

RB

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I thought they just used good old heat lamps during the winter months?

Nope, the only time heat lamps are necessary are when they are young chicks and haven't feathered out completely yet.

Heat lamps are an extreme fire hazard. Especially in a chicken coop that is filled with wood shavings and dust.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
We do have coons, possums, the occasional chicken hawk. <snip>

Chickenhawk - one of my favorite Looney Toons Characters!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post