Backyard chickens?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7380068724

July 26, 2017, 08:30 PM
striker1
Backyard chickens?
I'm almost done with this small (8 x 6) unit:

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

July 26, 2017, 08:33 PM
H&K-Guy
Chick threads usually wind up with naked pics. Not good.

Oh, wait... Never mind.

Nice coop!

H&K-Guy
July 26, 2017, 08:44 PM
recoatlift
Agreed, nice henhouse, I like the color scheme also.

Further down the road, I see eggs & crispy fried chicken! Mmmmmmmmmm!
July 26, 2017, 08:47 PM
mr kablammo
Very nice. Are snakes or racoons in the area?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
July 26, 2017, 08:47 PM
cgode
I had chickens, then I had a fisher cat......I no longer have chickens!
good looking coop!

July 26, 2017, 08:54 PM
ffips
Looks good. Be careful, it's a slippery slope. It's relaxing to watch them fritter about. Smile
July 26, 2017, 08:58 PM
striker1
We do have coons, possums, the occasional chicken hawk. I will need to beef up the base of the yard with some hardware cloth in the ground, possibly some heavy pavers around the perimeter. The sides are all hardware cloth. The coop proper is 2x3 frame, 1/2" plywood sheath with the T1-11 over that.

Still a few issues to work out. Winter will see a heated water dispenser and also some low watt panel-type heaters in the coop.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

July 26, 2017, 09:14 PM
sigmonkey
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Chick threads usually wind up with naked pics.

H&K-Guy

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
July 26, 2017, 09:16 PM
H&K-Guy
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Chick threads usually wind up with naked pics.

H&K-Guy

HA! You are one sick monkey. Get help. Get help now.

H&K-Guy
July 26, 2017, 09:22 PM
jhe888
A hot chick:

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
July 26, 2017, 09:25 PM
PR64
Your chickens

Have come home

to roost Smile

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat
July 26, 2017, 10:37 PM
mark_a
Looks eggcellent. I love it that more and more folks are keeping small flocks around

Mark
July 27, 2017, 04:46 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Still a few issues to work out. Winter will see a heated water dispenser and also some low watt panel-type heaters in the coop.

I've been keeping layers for almost 30 years here in Maine.

While the heated water source is obviously necessary, supplemental heat in the coop is not. The birds do just fine through our Maine winters with just a little extra corn in their diet. Even more so in a small coop like that. Mine is 10 x 12 with 8 foot walls, uninsulated and unheated.

With the dust and the bedding, heat lamps and such are more of a fire hazard than a benefit IMHO.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
July 27, 2017, 05:39 AM
msfzoe
Be sure to recycle the manure.
Does a wonderful job in your vegetable garden.
July 27, 2017, 06:30 AM
ryan81986
quote:

Word of advice, don't add heaters to the coop unless it gets very, very cold. The birds will become dependent on them and if you lose power the birds will freeze. If there is no heater they will get used to the cold. The key is to avoid drafts while having adequate ventilation to remove humidity.

July 27, 2017, 06:59 AM
striker1
This is the heater I was thinking of using for extreme cold. Runs about 60w, about 4" x 3", clips to a DIN rail. But, yeah, they're birds, so I agree that they can manage well inside a box away from direct exposure.

RB

July 27, 2017, 07:16 AM
Bassamatic
Studies have shown that blue and yellow color combinations are relaxing to chickens and they will lay twice as many eggs.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Hey, I like it though. Smile

I thought they just used good old heat lamps during the winter months?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
July 27, 2017, 07:34 AM
striker1
My wife handled the paint. I think she did a great job.

RB

July 27, 2017, 08:12 AM
ryan81986
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I thought they just used good old heat lamps during the winter months?

Nope, the only time heat lamps are necessary are when they are young chicks and haven't feathered out completely yet.

Heat lamps are an extreme fire hazard. Especially in a chicken coop that is filled with wood shavings and dust.

July 27, 2017, 08:25 AM
Ronin1069
quote:
We do have coons, possums, the occasional chicken hawk. <snip>

Chickenhawk - one of my favorite Looney Toons Characters!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ