SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DB Cooper identified?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DB Cooper identified? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Sounds reasonably credible. I searched The Lounge, but couldn’t find any recent threads about this.

“An Army veteran from Indiana has told how he used his code-breaking skills to decipher two letters and reveal what he claims is the real identity of infamous 1971 airplane hijacker DB Cooper.

Cooper became one of the 20th century's most compelling masterminds after he took over a Boeing 727 at Seattle-Tacoma airport in 1971 and held its crew and passengers hostage with a bomb.

Once his demand of $200,000 cash - the equivalent of $1.2 million today - was reached and transferred onto the plane, he had the crew take off before he parachuted over the dense Pacific Northwest woods and disappeared.

Rick Sherwood, 70, of Wheatfield, believes the hijacker was an ex-military pilot called Robert Rackstraw, who lives in California. He worked this out by cracking a series of code, he explained to the Indianapolis Star on Friday…”

https://dailym.ai/2MenyhG

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We need Geraldo to check it out.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7292 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Or Infowars ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Eh, every few years someone comes forward saying they've 'solved' the case of Jack the Ripper. Then a couple years later someone else will do the same, saying it's someone else.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It's funny, all the DB Cooper identity claims.

DB Cooper was really a guy named...

... DB Cooper.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32051 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if it is not released on twitter, then we know it is not true,,,

[/sarcasm]

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Reading the click-bait-laden article the story is actually very interesting. Cool

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
Eh, every few years someone comes forward saying they've 'solved' the case of Jack the Ripper. Then a couple years later someone else will do the same, saying it's someone else.

They're all wrong. Everybody knows that Jack the Ripper was taken away by the Vorlons...

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Sounds reasonably credible. I searched The Lounge, but couldn’t find any recent threads about this.

“An Army veteran from Indiana has told how he used his code-breaking skills to decipher two letters and reveal what he claims is the real identity of infamous 1971 airplane hijacker DB Cooper.

Cooper became one of the 20th century's most compelling masterminds after he took over a Boeing 727 at Seattle-Tacoma airport in 1971 and held its crew and passengers hostage with a bomb.

Once his demand of $200,000 cash - the equivalent of $1.2 million today - was reached and transferred onto the plane, he had the crew take off before he parachuted over the dense Pacific Northwest woods and disappeared.

Rick Sherwood, 70, of Wheatfield, believes the hijacker was an ex-military pilot called Robert Rackstraw, who lives in California. He worked this out by cracking a series of code, he explained to the Indianapolis Star on Friday…”

https://dailym.ai/2MenyhG

He’s there in San Diego. Invite him to lunch at Point Loma Seafood and get the real scoops, will ya?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...-20180626-story.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/c...ers-identity-693912/

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing new. Rackstraw has been IDed as a suspect for years. One of the more recent theories I have seen is that Cooper did not bail out over heavily forested SW Washington state, but instead waited on the air stair until the plane began its descent into Reno. This theory would make the jump far more survivable. And I have yet to read anything that plausibly explains the finding of Cooper related cash on the Tena Bar.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is there a statute of limitations on skyjacking?

If not and considering nobody got harmed as far as I know, why not come out, tell your story and make bank on the book/movie deals etc.

I mean sure if your OJ you don’t go on TV with the “I killed the bitch” tour but if you are DB Cooper you are sort of a folk legend at this point.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Read about Richard Floyd McCoy Jr. He jumped out of a 727 money and all. Many think he was DB Cooper.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

How true...just like Al Capone’s safe...

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
DB Cooper got an evergreen up the ass. His bones scattered all over a Sasquatch's backyard, after his corpse rotted to nothing up in that tree.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17089 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As I recall, he didn’t even claim that his name was D.B. Cooper. That was evidently based on a misunderstanding among some of the people involved (media, law enforcement?). IIRC, he told someone his name was Dan, and that was it.

As for finding remains, I’m personally familiar with three cases in which someone died in a remote forested area. In one a skull was found a couple of years after the man was reported missing and an extensive search turned up a few scraps of clothing that might have been his, but far down a hill from where the skull was found. Nothing else, including any other bones, was ever located.

In another a car was located far down the steep slope from a switchbacked road several years after the owner was reported missing. No human remains were recovered from that site. (Yes, it’s possible that it was some sort of elaborate self-disappearance scheme, but very unlikely.)

In the last incident the remains were found in the early spring after the man disappeared in the fall. The bones were already widely scattered, despite the fact that they wouldn’t have been subjected to very much scavenger activity over the winter.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
DB Cooper identified?

Again? He gets "identified" about every couple of years or so.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
DB Cooper got an evergreen up the ass. His bones scattered all over a Sasquatch's backyard, after his corpse rotted to nothing up in that tree.

This. Dan Cooper was an idiot. Every skydiver with any experience knows you can bring parachutes on a plane. No big deal. This guy wasn't an experienced jumper. Dan Cooper had the FBI bring two parachutes to the plane with no requests on what type of rigs to bring. The FBI stopped by a local DZ and requested two parachutes. They gave him A pioneer and a military NB6. He jumped the military NB6 with no leg pads and he choose a reserve that was accidentally given to him that was a demo piece that had been sewed completely shut. Any experienced jumped would have brought his own rig. He would have inspected his equipment and couldn't have missed the reserve that had been sewn shut. Cooper wore casual slip on shoes and no socks. I don't care how slow that plane was going his shoes would be coming off as soon as he got his knees in the breeze. No one with half a brain would have worn that foot wear on a jump at the end of November when its cold on the ground and wicked cold at altitude at night in the Pacific northwest. It was a rain snow mix where they were when Cooper lowered the airstair. Cooper new nothing about Parachutes or how to dress for success. Yep, he fell out of the stupid tree and broke every branch on the way down. He may have been stupid but he did have some bowling ball sized testicles....

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
he did have some bowling ball sized testicles....

Umm ... I have never equated ignorance with bravery.

But I had never heard about the reserve parachute being nonfunctional. Any idea what the FBI said when they asked for them? I would have expected whoever supplied them to have asked if a demo was okay for whatever purpose the FBI had in mind for them.

Good point too about the footwear that I wasn’t aware of either. It seems to me that that’s something many people overlook when planning for the unexpected. Someone who has a Glock, a couple of extra magazines, a flashlight, and a serious knife, will still run around in sandals or, even worse, flip-flops.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
he did have some bowling ball sized testicles....

Umm ... I have never equated ignorance with bravery.

But I had never heard about the reserve parachute being nonfunctional. Any idea what the FBI said when they asked for them? I would have expected whoever supplied them to have asked if a demo was okay for whatever purpose the FBI had in mind for them.

Good point too about the footwear that I wasn’t aware of either. It seems to me that that’s something many people overlook when planning for the unexpected. Someone who has a Glock, a couple of extra magazines, a flashlight, and a serious knife, will still run around in sandals or, even worse, flip-flops.

A state trooper picked up the reserve parachutes from Issaquah skyport in Washington. The FBI borrowed the main chutes from a local pilot who had recently purchased them from a local rigger. I would love to know how the FBI made the request to "borrow" the gear. i have never been able to find that out. I'm betting that the FBI communicated as poorly then as they do now and they made their request with little information about what they would be used for. Should would like to know.

Almost all of the theories the FBI has include experienced jumpers both military and civilian. I think Dan Cooper had made a jumper or five but he wasn't acting like he knew anything about freefall parachuting in the medium high height range. He needed help from the stewardess to lower the air stair and he choose an older military style emergency parachute that was less steerable than its newer sport rig to jump into the heavily wooded terrain of the Pacific northwest barefoot during an early winters storm.

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good point about the footwear ....

Much to the TSA's dismay, I wear boots every time I fly. Well, except for the time I flew to Belize and they still had to sniff my feet.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post