SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for vacation Rum recommendations.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for vacation Rum recommendations. Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Pretty much a Bourbon guy, but want to get some recommendations for RUM for our upcoming trip to Michigan.

For the last 23 years, this has been primarily a Corona trip. You have probably gotten sick of seeing Corona, knife and SIGforum coin pics on the beach.

I am thinking Rums this year.

Not looking for anything allocated, but those that will be readily available.

Love coconut and pineapple flavor, but not sure what is available.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We have only one bottle of rum in the house, we just don't drink it much. It is a Zaya Gran Reserva, a dark rum and quite good.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16734 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed Appleton Estate 12 year.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6091 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Papa’s Pilar is some really good tasting rum named after Ernest Hemingway’s boat. Hemingway’s connection to N. Michigan make it a perfect choice for your trip.

Posts: 2978 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Papa’s Pilar is some really good tasting rum named after Ernest Hemingway’s boat. Hemingway’s connection to N. Michigan make it a perfect choice for your trip.

I really like Papa's Pilar. Get whatever you're getting before you go to Michigan. I was looking while in a Costco in Wyoming, Michigan last week and the same bottle of Kirkland Anejo no was $46 there vs. $31 in Indiana. I'm told by my Michigan connections that they heavily tax liquor. Ironically the wine I bought was normal price. Go figure.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:

I really like Papa's Pilar. Get whatever you're getting before you go to Michigan. I was looking while in a Costco in Wyoming, Michigan last week and the same bottle of Kirkland Anejo no was $46 there vs. $31 in Indiana. I'm told by my Michigan connections that they heavily tax liquor. Ironically the wine I bought was normal price. Go figure.

This is perfect, as I am a Hemmingway fan.

Is this readily available?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Pilar and yes it is readily available.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6344 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pampero Aniversario - Great rum! Doesn't need a mixer. Pour it over ice and let the ice melt a bit. Goes down like a good scotch.

Posts: 301 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Appleton Reserve, and Ron Brugal.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12807 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Vacation Rum?

Cruzan or Kracken

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34158 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I got hooked on this when I lived in Puerto Rico. Good stuff!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30769 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhum Barbancourt 8 yr or 15 yr.

Posts: 1079 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have probably gotten sick of seeing Corona, knife and SIGforum coin pics on the beach.

Well, not yet…

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Cruz an Estate single barrel. You will not be disappointed

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11312 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Myers’s Rum

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Rum.

Amazing stuff, when properly distilled, and absolutely disgusting when not.

If it has a “flavor”, it’s not very good rum. The following are Rums (made from molasses), and not French style Rhums (made from sugarcane juice):

Top quality - these don’t need to be mixed

- Zacapa 23
- Santa Teresa 1796
- Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
- Pampero Aniversario
- Appleton 12
- Zaya 12
- Mount Gay XO

Good rums - suitable for mixing or drinking neat

- Flor de Caña 12
- Appleton 8
- Mount Gay Black Barrel
- Plantation XO

By the way, if you are ever at a bar and want a rum, stay away from Bacardi (swill), but generally bars at least have a bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse. It’s a great affordable rum.

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Appleton Rare Casks is pretty good. Fair bit of that Jamaican rum funk without being overpowering.

I like Eldorado and Pussers, but it’s pretty clear they add sugar. Same with Diplomatico and Zacapa.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
My wife and I enjoy Flor de Cana. The older the better.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 421 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on a rum journey. Kind of depends on what you’re looking for.

For a sipper: Plantation XO or Appleton 12. Barbancourt 15 if you can find it. It’s not available in Ohio, only the 8.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8809 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doorly’s 12yr and RL Seale 10yr are both excellent for the price and friendly for those coming from bourbon.

Posts: 4286 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post