SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Asking for prayers...I was admitted to ICU on Tuesday for a stroke...UPDATE...I'm back at home!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asking for prayers...I was admitted to ICU on Tuesday for a stroke...UPDATE...I'm back at home! Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
Tuesday afternoon at about 5:30 I started having weakness on my left side and took a pretty good fall getting up to get to my phone...I was still on the floor unable to get up when my oldest daughter and my grandchildren stopped by and found me in my predicament...she kept her cool and called 911 and EMS got there in a very few minutes...did the stroke assessment and determined I was indeed having a stroke and needed treatment ASAP
The leading stroke trauma hospital in our area is Erlanger in Chattanooga about 35 miles away so our EMS requested a Lifeforce helicopter be sent and it met the ambulance at the soccer fields about a mile from my house and had me at the stroke center at Erlanger hospital in 10 minutes...
A CT scan showed a had a large blockage of my right carotid artery...they used the TPA "clot buster" meds and went up through the artery in my groin and was able to safely remove the clot and install a stent and I'm getting to feel somewhat normal again...I'm up walking and my speech has improved dramatically...
The doctor that oversaw the whole procedure said that "I dodged a bullet" and getting proper treatment quickly probably saved my life...and in the least kept me from permanent neurological damage (my mom had a stroke at age 46 spending the last 25 years of her life bedridden in a nursing home until her death in 1998...I feared that scenario much more than death)...
One reason my daughter was stopping by was to see how I was doing because on this date in 2017 my wife and her mother passed away from blood clots in her heart and lungs at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio...
I feel that there are a lot of small miracles that when put together form one big one that saved my life...praise God for this!...

UPDATE...I am back home!...after more CT scans and in hospital evaluations, I have been released back into the wild Big Grin...my sister in law will spend a couple of days here with me and my youngest daughter is coming down from Johnson City next week...I also having home PT rehab starting Monday...but overall, with the exception of being tired and worn out, I seem to be doing good overall...
I want to thank SIGForum for the prayers and well wishes Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thank God you're okay! I'm very sorry to hear this happened. Keep getting better!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
praise the Lord & best wishes for speedy recovery

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Wow. Very happy to hear your OK, got immediate treatment, and hopefully won't have any long term effects from the stroke.

My Mom had several strokes,and like your Mom, never recovered. That is a very hard life as you know.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Done! Please keep us posted.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got through this with minimal damage. Hope you’re back to normal quickly.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow, you really did dodge a bullet. I'm glad you are making progress in your recovery.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent - hoping for a speedy recovery!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wow! The almighty was surely looking out for you. I'm happy to hear you are recovering.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wow! They don't get much closer than that. Glad to see it looks like you're going to be ok.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
praise God for this!

Indeed!

Glad to hear you are ok. I will be sure to keep you in my prayers.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Scary! Thank God you got the care you needed.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
PTL buddy! let us know if you need anything. Hug that daughter and those children!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are well on the road to recovering. Hoping for a full recovery.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of good news in that. Praise the Lord, indeed. You sound good based on what happened. I think you do have an Angel (your wife) looking down upon and keeping you.

Prayer sent for thanks and for a complete recovery.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Truly glad that everything has worked out so well. Prayers for a continued recovery back to unimpeded life style.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Get well, prayers for a full recovery,
Spunk

Posts: 2776 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Prayers for complete recovery. Very glad you received treatment as quickly as you did.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Wishing you a fast and complete recovery!

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got assistance. The TPA is no joke- I was in ICU for three or four days after my last one. (ps..ICU means you will not be getting any sleep)

Praying for a full recovery.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post