SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you mess with scammers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you mess with scammers? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I keep getting scammers texting me wanting me to do landscaping jobs on random houses. They always want it done before they get home from the hospital. They’re always being treated for lung cancer. They always have a ridiculous budget ($5000 for a landscape on a house that may be worth $9000) The script is terrible.

This current scammer hasn’t pitched the “I’ll pay extra because I owe the previous owner $2500. So you cash the check and pay him for me and keep the extra” but I know it’s coming.

The one before this, I told him I accidentally burned his house down while doing the estimate. But I’m out of ideas for this guy. Hmmm.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
You could tell him you went to pay the guy but a forensic team was digging up his back yard while they had him in handcuffs so you didn't want to get involved. Big Grin

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
nah, just hang up and block. I still mainly use a landline phone and get very few legitimate calls - mostly scams/spam. My old Panasonic wireless phones are about 10 yrs old but still work and hold a charge but they don't have a block feature so I replaced them with the latest and greatest.

Costco advertised a 4 pack of Panasonic phones for $99 and they have over 1000 known spam #s programmed in to auto block and if a call gets by it's one button to block a #.

I was skeptical but they do work, often we get no spam calls in a days time and have yet to get over a couple.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sometimes Wink

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Every time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on my day.

If it's slow I keep them on the phone.

All the time wasted on me stops them from scamming someone for real.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Every time. Entertains the hell out of me - I feel like I ‘win’ if I get transferred to a supervisor to ‘validate’ my information.

Last week I got called by a female robot voice saying, “Hi! This is Joan, I’m just calling to follow up on the insurance info you requested!”

I was in a hurry and responded with “F-off C-word”. The robot replied, “you don’t need to speak to me like that” and hung up.

The robot ones piss me off the most. I always think about my mom and how easily she would fall for this kind of stuff. It’s one thing to pick on the gullible, but when you are targeting the elderly and mentally disabled, that’s a whole other level of hate from me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I used to, but got bored with it so I just ignore them now.

When I did, I always thought it was fun to respond with, "No hablo ingles", and if they switched to spanish, I would reply with, "Sorry, I don't speak Spanish." Just keep switching languages until they get frustrated and go away. Don't know that many languages? Don't worry, Google Translate has you covered.

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mainly I don't but a few years ago I got a call from the "IRS".
Indian gentleman as expected and I was in my office. He gave me a case number and some other information. I read it back to him but screwed up the numbers purposely. He got irritated at me and hung up.
Well, I called him back. He never answered and it went to a Magic Jack voicemail system. I politely asked why the IRS uses Magic Jack instead of a real phone system.
Never got another call.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Kind of interesting how OP stated that these were text scam attempts, and almost every reply referred to voice calls.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Kind of interesting how OP stated that these were text scam attempts, and almost every reply referred to voice calls.
Yeah, these are text scams. The script is always the same.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Whenever I try to sell something using a local online marketplace I get almost nothing but scam texts. "Is your item still available?", and of course they'll send a check for more than the asking price.

It is to the level that I hate to even try selling anything. When practical I donate the item and take the tax break instead even though it is a slight dollar loss to me.

I block and ignore scammers. It is not worth my time to mess with them.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I don’t waste my time. At home I’ll pick up the phone and immediately hang it up if I don’t feel like listening to the telltale four rings then stop.

My cell, well it announces “Scam Likely” and once in a while I’ll pick it up just for a laugh.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tik tok worm hole has some great vids of scammers getting caught and effed with

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I tell them yes, I do want to sell my house. I am asking $1,700,000.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No. Their calls and texts are not answered, period.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If I'm in the mood answer an obvious bogus call with "Detective Winston, fraud section.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you have discovered a serious biohazard/toxic waste dump on the property and had to call in the EPA? You will of course need the name of their lawyer for the authorities to contact to post the necessary bond for remediation. And, oh yeah, what are they going to do about the junkies that are squatting on the property?

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a big phone scam for a while. Here is the script: "Department of the Social Security Administration. The reason of this call is to inform you that your Social Security number has been suspended for suspicion of illegal activity. If you do not contact us immediately, your account will be deactivated." Then they say dial an extension for more information. If you do, they tell you your SSN has been used for illegal activity and you may be subject to arrest. They then ask for money to process the correction and resolve it or you will be arrested.

I got these calls a few times and i always hung up, except once. I guess it was just my mood at the time. I dialed the number and listened to the guys rant. I told him that I wanted to turn myself in and they could come arrest me. I said I was feeling very guilty because some phone scammer had tried to rip me off. I agreed to meet with the scammer to give him the money, and I shot him, killing him.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
No, I do not bother to waste my time ... whether it be text, phone call or email I do not respond or hang up and then I block.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post