SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you mess with scammers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you mess with scammers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
From time to time, I do. The scumbags use dialers that have numbers that would indicate they are local to me. So I answer on the off chance it's a legitimate call from a local business. And when it becomes clear it isn't:
Me: So where are you located?
Scammer: I am in greater metropolitan Bumfuck!
Me: I wont do business with people who lie about or conceal their location. Why do you do that?
Scammer: Hangs up.
There should be a law prohibiting spoofed caller I.D. information.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
From time to time, I do.

Same.
I usually get the sense they know I'm going to start fucking w/ them. Almost like I'm on list, which doesn't explain why they call me. Unless they know how useless their call program is.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never get text scams thankfully. But I do get calls often. I still have a CA cell # and live in FL. Always to sell my ca house. Any other scam I play along as long as they do. To waste their time.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Text scams are great because you can play the long game with them.

Demand more money up front
Demand more money as "issues" crop up
You can't start because you have not received the check. Send a new one.
Give them your bank info using a Nigerian bank number.
Tell them you paid the previous homeowner in person when you ran into him at the property.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Text scammers or people trying to sell things via text get deleted immediately but telephone scammers always get played with. My favorite are the ones seeking donations. I let them go through their whole routine and when they try to close it out by getting me to commit to a donation, I always tell them "NO!" and wait for their response. Some are a little brighter and hang up, but some are a little dense and go into a recovery routine. A few are so dense that a second "NO!" doesn't clue them and away we go with some even getting a little put out but eventually even the thickest heads get the message, and they hang up.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget that classic scam the scammer from days of yore: Wendy and Willis

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I had a guy with a Middle Eastern accent calling every day a few years ago, telling me that I had to send him money, or my Social Security would be cancelled forever. I hung up at first, but one day I asked him how much I owed, where I needed to send the money & a few other questions that I totally ignored the answers to.

Finally, I said, "One more question. Are all you goat fuckers child molesting little bitches?" And the rude asshole hung up on me! Never called back either.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Honestly don't get much in the way of scam texts, a few each year and with T-Mobile on the iPhone I just mark it as spam and delete.

Not worth the time to mess with them and I don't want to respond letting them know it's a valid phone number they texted.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to until a few years ago. I had one call me and I really went off on him. A few days later the jerk calls me back a couple times in the wee hours on the morning, waking me up, asking how I liked him now and adding some expletives. I figure it’s not wise to kick a skunk, and these folks have my telephone number, so I just don’t answer numbers I don’t recognize, even if it looks local. If it’s a legit call and important they can leave a message and I’ll call back. And my phones caller ID seems to do pretty good at ID’ing numbers that are scam or telemarketers.

Posts: 751 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
This was a big phone scam for a while. Here is the script: "Department of the Social Security Administration. The reason of this call is to inform you that your Social Security number has been suspended for suspicion of illegal activity. If you do not contact us immediately, your account will be deactivated." Then they say dial an extension for more information. If you do, they tell you your SSN has been used for illegal activity and you may be subject to arrest. They then ask for money to process the correction and resolve it or you will be arrested.

I got these calls a few times and i always hung up, except once. I guess it was just my mood at the time. I dialed the number and listened to the guys rant. I told him that I wanted to turn myself in and they could come arrest me. I said I was feeling very guilty because some phone scammer had tried to rip me off. I agreed to meet with the scammer to give him the money, and I shot him, killing him.

Ha ! You have my vote.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Yup. Whatever scam they trying to run, I play along with along the same lines. The other day I got the warrant one. I asked if since I was already a fugitive from justice if there was any reason for me to worry about yet another warrant.

Instant hang up Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
The main reason I do not mess with telemarketers is because I can not live up to the talent of Tom Mabe ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Phone solicitors/scammers : Sometimes I practice my Slovak on them Big Grin. They have no idea what the hell I am saying. One insolent Pakistani got sexually harassed. I wanted to know all about his toes. Eek

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's the robo-automated calls I hang up on.
I do like effing with the Microsoft or TV service Indians that call then start asking you questions.
Questions I never directly answer and then turn in on them to challenge their legitimacy.
They never know the answers then they eventually hang up on me. {the nerve} Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Depends on my mood. One time I had a guy named Michael (speaking with a HEAVY accent from India) was trying to pull the scam about being from Microsoft and needing access to my laptop to clean my Windows.

I spent 45 minutes talking him in circles about how he was going to clean my windows. He didn't catch on until I asked if he was bringing his own ladder as some of them are fairly high off the ground. That is when he realized "I thought" he was coming to clean the windows on my house. He told me that he meant my computer, Windows on my computer.

I told him I had a MAC... I swear I heard him say DAMN IT as he hung up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post