SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Green Energy Beaten Black And Blue: Video Shows Massive Hail Damage To Texas Solar Farm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green Energy Beaten Black And Blue: Video Shows Massive Hail Damage To Texas Solar Farm Login/Join 
posted
https://www.zerohedge.com/ener...age-texas-solar-farm

The March 15 storm battered thousands of panels with hail described as anywhere between golf ball- and baseball-sized.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
That’s bad!!!

Now when is the break even point with energy generation? Yes I realize a refinery can have a fire.

Replace the panels with a new supply from China, the old ones go in the landfill.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Who woulda thunk that Texas would have a hail storm. Hmm

Hail map TX

https://www.hailpoint.com/hail-maps-texas

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Maybe they could put a ground cover on rollers to be deployed over the field when incoming storms are reported, just like MLB!

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yikes. Those panels are typically impact tested, but baseball-sized may exceed those specs by a bit.

Or they went cheap on the panels. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The key phrase is THOUSANDS OF ACRES of solar panels these things eat up huge tracts of land. Much of it is agricultural. I drove by a lesser array of panels the other day that had eight inches of snow and ice on them with the sun shining brightly but not warm enough to melt the snow and ice coverage. They were producing zero or near zero with the sun shining.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
fun fact: Solar panels have to sit in the sun for 2 years minimum to recover the energy that it took to make/transport/install and eventually properly dispose of said solar panels.

For Older panels it was far worse. multicrystalline silicon are like 5 years or more

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
That place isn’t too far from me and I never knew it existed.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Didn’t something like this happen a year or two ago? I recall a similar story a while back but haven’t seen mention of it. Don’t think it’s Deja vu.

Edit:
Ah, it was Nebraska last year.
https://www.renewableenergywor...rough-nebraska/#gref

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^The 'Deja Vu' Nebraska Solar Farm destruction was referenced in the linked ZeroHedge article...And actually, ALL of the data regarding the number of solar panels damaged ('Of 14,000 panels, 13,650 were instantly turned into trash') pertains to that location and has nothing to do w/ the one in Texas! As such, I'm gonna assume you didn't actually read the article. Wink

Regardless, the specifics re: the 'Fighting Jays Solar Farm' are remarkably slim, but not surprisingly so, as that's the state of journalism today!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The article was good, but the Tweet is pretty misleading. That wasn't merely a round of bad weather. They had 2-3/4" diameter hail in that storm. It went through car windshields, blew out windows in buildings, ruined roofs, etc. Even though Texas gets a lot of violent thunderstorms that sized hail is pretty rare, and I've never had a replace a roof from hail in all of the years I've lived in Houston.

Heck, that sized hail is large enough to kill cattle so PETA could make a similar Tweet about the beef industry, pork industry, poultry industry, etc (i.e. Is it really wise to make ourselves dependent on food that can be killed by a bout of bad weather?).

I live in a different direction from downtown Houston, but where I live is a similar distance from downtown. The NWS had a large diameter hail warning out for all of Houston, and believe me I breathed a sigh of relief baseball sized hail didn't hit my house. I don't have solar panels, but roughly 10% of my neighbors have solar panels.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The pics from the storm were insane. The vehicles looked like they were in a war. I never thought hail could be that dangerous. From the pics I saw that stuff would have killed you if you ended up with a direct hit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
"Vast tracts of land..." Giggle... giggle giggle...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^ I'm gonna assume you didn't actually read the article. Wink
!

Ugh…. You are kinda right. I read a previous article that did not bring up Nebraska. When I started reading this one, I scanned but stopped before I got to the end.

I will do in the corner now and think about what I did…. Razz

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Like my wife just pointed out, if they would just install them vertically they probably would survive better. Wink

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The article was good, but the Tweet is pretty misleading. That wasn't merely a round of bad weather. They had 2-3/4" diameter hail in that storm. It went through car windshields, blew out windows in buildings, ruined roofs, etc. Even though Texas gets a lot of violent thunderstorms that sized hail is pretty rare, and I've never had a replace a roof from hail in all of the years I've lived in Houston.

Heck, that sized hail is large enough to kill cattle so PETA could make a similar Tweet about the beef industry, pork industry, poultry industry, etc (i.e. Is it really wise to make ourselves dependent on food that can be killed by a bout of bad weather?).

I live in a different direction from downtown Houston, but where I live is a similar distance from downtown. The NWS had a large diameter hail warning out for all of Houston, and believe me I breathed a sigh of relief baseball sized hail didn't hit my house. I don't have solar panels, but roughly 10% of my neighbors have solar panels.

True but it’s inevitable and not financially viable long term. The whole point is that wind and solar are not the salvation to energy as they portray them to be. The fact is that nuclear is our best option long term financially and practically and billions have been wasted on wind and solar.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I have wondered why these solar 'farms' couldn't have the panels on a motorized hinge system, such that during inclement weather the panels can be placed in a vertical position, then back to their correct angle afterward. Yes, it costs $$ to do that, but probably much less than replacing the whole farm.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Who woulda thunk that Texas would have a hail storm. Hmm

Hail map TX

https://www.hailpoint.com/hail-maps-texas

LOL

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Circa 2000 I was driving from Fort Irwin towards Barstow, CA and saw a huge smoke cloud in the distance. I found out later that it was from a nearby solar plant that had caught fire. I don't recall the cause of the fire. Anyway, so much for "'green' energy." In fact, every form of energy generation has some kind of environmental cost.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post