SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Off to Yellowstone in a couple of days...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to Yellowstone in a couple of days... Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
My daughter and son-in-law have generously offered to take my wife and I on a trip before I begin chemo later this month. We leave on Sunday headed for Yellowstone.

I am looking forward to cooler weather, magnificent scenery, and abundant wildlife. We will be staying in a cabin on the Yellowstone River, about 4 miles from the north gate.

I have visited the park once, back in 1987. We were hunting pronghorn in Montana and worked in a couple of days at Yellowstone.

Any suggestions on "must see" features at Yellowstone? Anything that has changed in the last 30 years?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Potential for wildfire smoke obscuring viewing is possible, depending upon jet stream, and lower winds.
Hasn't been bad the past several days here in the Black Hills.
Be sure to have whatever medications you might need for allergies, sinus irritation, etc. just in case.
Color is starting here in the Hills, so you should see some on the way, Big Horn Mts., or other ranges along the way, dependant upon your routing.
Cody, Wyoming is always nice if you have the time or inclination.
https://wildfiretoday.com/2018...ap-september-6-2018/

Jim

Posts: 1354 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed a meal at the Yellowstone Hotel.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a motorcycle trip from Spokane, WA, to St. Cloud, MN, in early August. It was amazing.

In regards to Yellowstone, drive South out of the park and see the Grand Teton's and Jackson Lake. It was incredible.

I also thought Yellowstone Lake, on the East side, was fairly amazing as well.

Enjoy.

MDS

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recommend a visit to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyoming (where I live).
You won't be disappointed. It is actually 5 museums in one building. Entrance fee is good for two days.

PC

Posts: 1374 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in Yellowstone but the Beartooth Highway out of the NE gate is spectacular.

Posts: 2065 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Have lunch at one of the hotels in the Park; I prefer the Lake Hotel, but the Lodge at Old Faithful is cool as well. The Lake is sunnier in the dining area, and I just think it's neat. It's my idea of what a grand hotel back in Nantucket (or some place like that) would look like.

Pizza at Leek's Marina in GTNP, if you can be that far away from your lodging at supper time. Otherwise, since you're relatively close--make a point of getting down to the Lamar Valley as early in the morning as you can (sunup, if possible) for the best chance to see top of the chain predators

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visited the area in July. Strongly recommend you download a cellular phone park guide app from gypsyguide.com The app provides a narrated guide that points out interesting features and keeps you from gettin lost. Apparently utilizes GPS on your phone. Cost is about $10. Well worth it.

Also, strongly recommend the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum in Cody. Billed as Smithsonian quality, it includes a natural history section and an extensive exhibit on firearms history. Cost is around $15 per person and you will need at least a half day to see it all. You will not be dissappointed.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
Recommend a visit to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyoming (where I live).
You won't be disappointed. It is actually 5 museums in one building. Entrance fee is good for two days.

PC

This for sure. You can't see the whole thing in one day though. As PC noted, the admission price is good for two days and is needed. There are a lot of good eating options in Cody as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I was in Yellowstone in September 2014 and again in late May 2017 (and spent a summer there as a concession employee). Plus a few other visits, including one in January 1990s. Back when you could snow-mobile with reckless abandon. :-)

Both recent visits I exited out the Northeast Entrance Station. Love the drive through the Yellowstone Lamar Valley, but there is PLENTY to see in this area. It would be the road from Mammoth thru Beartooth to Red Lodge for tacos at Mas Taco.

Lamar Valley pre-season:
https://americantoolbox.files....lley-yellowstone.jpg

Mammoth terrace on a Sunday morning, the trail empty of tourists.
https://americantoolbox.files....ings-yellowstone.jpg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Be sure to visit 'The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone'. You won't be disappointed.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I went on a tour of National and State Parks in 2009 that included Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Custer State Park: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622664139564/. You'd be most interested in Days 8 thru 14.

If you visit the Grand Tetons NP you might want to do a rafting float on the Snake River. The Buffalo Bill Center in Cody is enormous--I only had time to "do" the firearms museum (one of 5).

Enjoy yourselves.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:

+1

One of the photos I currently have on display is a nighttime shot of the Cody Theater, across the street from the Irma Hotel.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
There is a road that splits off of the main loop road just north of tower junction called BlackTail Plauteu Drive. You can see on a map that it eventually takes you right back into the main loop. Its a great little detour for wildlife viewing and somewhat of a little “secret”. Ive seen more bear on that little road than anywhere else in the park. You can drive west to east or east to west on the road, doesnt matter- one lane dirt road but just about any car can handle it.
http://www.youryellowstonevaca..._id=37&member_id=221

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't you know you're going to be on one of the worlds most underground active volcano which could erupt anytime. Check it out.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
Don't you know you're going to be on one of the worlds most underground active volcano which could erupt anytime. Check it out.
IMO, there's a lot more danger in a road accident than in that volcano erupting while he's there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've been twice, this time of year, it's great!! Bring warm clothes, it tended to get cold and we had snow both times. Feel your way around and try to see as much of the park as possible. We gravitate to either Hayden Valley or Lamar Valley once a day for wildlife, we've seen bear, elk and wolves on all trips.

The road Medic451 noted is a must drive if you're going through that area. We were in Yellowstone for a while and never saw a Moose. On second ride on this road we got our Moose.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will be staying in a cabin on the Yellowstone River, about 4 miles from the north gate.

Drive the Beartooth Highway if you can. Amazing!! Starts just outside the North gate.

Have a great trip. Yellowstone must be seen to be believed.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Prepare for any type of weather. We were in Yellowstone this time last year and it snowed. I was expecting it to be cooler but not snow. Was awesome to be there while it was though. Didn't care much for the lack of guard rails along some of the roads. Canyon falls was an awesome sight to behold. Have a great time!

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1916 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
It might be a bit early but inquire about elk bugling. It’ll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post