SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Off to Yellowstone in a couple of days...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to Yellowstone in a couple of days... Login/Join 
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
Take a drive on Chief Joseph Highway. One of the best drives in the country!

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just sit back and enjoy the view. There's no place like Yellowstone. NO PLACE. It is incredible. The wife and I make a trip up there every fall and we don't worry so much about the amenities and food but more enjoy the scenery. We usually come in from the west entrance, hit yellowstone lake (going through Canyon Village), then head to the south entrance headed for Jacksonhole. It's a bit of a drive. [sarc]Oh, the bison and moose look harmless but they're not[/sarc]. Don't try to take a selfie with oneBig Grin

I agree with Harleysbluff, hit Jackson if time allows. It's a nice drive from anywhere in the park.

My wife and I are still sending you good thoughts Bigboreshooter. Have a great trip.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
A truly wonderous and beautiful place.

Old Faithful Inn

Old Faithful

Why they call it Yellowstone

TR himself dedicated the park here at the Arch, the North entrance. Don't forget the old army post that was once here.
Roosevelt Arch

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old Faithful Lodge is awesome, next to the geysers and fun to watch from the balcony. Jackson Hole is a great community to visit and as mentioned the South entrance I feel is most stunning. There is a fun cookout out of Roosevelt accessed by horseback or wagon.
One word of caution- as temps drop, the animals will get on the roadways at night to stay warm. Shops/restaurants close somewhat early in the park. Have what you need or you'll be waiting for breakfast.

Posts: 283 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
If you get the chance, go through Cody. Buffalo Bill built the Irma hotel here and named it after his only surviving daughter. More than that, the Cody Historical Center is a world-class museum that shouts NOT be missed if you're that close.

Hotel Irma

From the Historical Center which also has an extensive firearm collection on display.

Buffalo Bill's Embroidered Jacket

Tom Klinger - Fifer - 7th Cavalry: Found on the ground at Little Bighorn

Wild Bill Hickok's Colts

Hoss Cartwright's Colt 1873

Sitting Bull's Tomahawk- BBHC- Cody

The painted robe behind the tomahawk is Sitting Bull's personal painted recollection of Battle at Little Bighorn.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuhlShooter:
Take a drive on Chief Joseph Highway. One of the best drives in the country!

If you are driving in from the East this is an excellent recommendation.

Posts: 2065 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
We will be staying in a cabin on the Yellowstone River, about 4 miles from the north gate.

Drive the Beartooth Highway if you can. Amazing!! Starts just outside the North gate.

Have a great trip. Yellowstone must be seen to be believed.

RMD

The Beartooth Hwy starts from the Northeast Entrance, it is a great drive. We stayed at Cooke City for two nights, drove to Red Ledge one day. It would be a long day from Gardiner but worth it IMO.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post