SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another vehicle thread - Talk to me about Ford Transit van experiences…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another vehicle thread - Talk to me about Ford Transit van experiences… Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
We have retirement on the horizon and it entails moving from Washington state to almost anywhere else.

We will still need to return to Wa. For family visits along with trips to Iowa for family and trips all over for travel. After looking at an acquaintance’s Ford Transit van and talking at length with him it seems like it might be the perfect solution for affordable road tripping.

I’ve thought about a small trailer, but my wife would never feel comfortable towing anything, no matter the size and while I generally do all of the driving, if there was a reason I couldn’t drive we would be stuck. There is also storage concerns and cost effectiveness since it would likely only see use 2-3 times a year.

A Transit van (or similar) would provide plenty of room for comfort on the road, room to sleep, carry camping equipment and “stuff” while not feeling cramped with a months worth of stuff that would fill an SUV to the gills. While not as comfortable as an trailer with bed kitchen, etc. we both think it would be fine for 2-3 days on the road followed by a night at a motel for proper shower and such.

Can be parked in regular parking spaces, much better gas mileage, and additional utility as a “regular” vehicle for store runs, etc. throw passenger seats in it when people are visiting, et., etc., etc.

Currently we have a Ford Ranger (2019), Ford Mustang, and Ford Escape. My wife drives the Escape, could drive the Ranger and has driven an F150 in the past. She is afraid to drive the Mustang, but has always wanted a convertible and loves being driven in it. One of these vehicles would have to go, my thought is to get rid of the Escape and keep the Ranger.

Ranger has more “utility” than the Escape to me, once I retire wife will drive even less than she does now and while she loves her Escape, she could handle the Ranger.

So, would like to hear from anyone with experience with Ford Transit or similar large vans and if you have used as I am thinking for a “budget/frugal” RV. Gentleman I talked to has had his for ab0ut a year and done several trips, up to 30 days on the road and they absolutely love it.

I know it wouldn’t be as polished or plush as a trailer/RV but I am looking for most bang for the buck and function over fashion.

Dropping $20-$30K on a travel trailer and having to buy a bigger truck (another $15K or so) to tow it would be considerably more dollars than I would want to spend as well as create additional complications (storage, insurance, maint, etc.)

Discuss…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a 2017 Ford Transit 250 work van. I've slept in the back a few times, there's plenty of room. I have the cargo van version, not the passenger van version. Mine is equipped with the 3.7L V6 and just about nothing else, it's quite spartan, but it's a work van after all. Visibility is good considering I have a windshield and a window in each of the front doors, the rest are all solid panels. Driving is easy and it surprisingly agile for a large van.

With that said, my van, being a cargo van, lacks the infrastructure for rear seats. I don't know if the seats are removable in the passenger van, but when I looked at the Transit connect, the passenger version seats were removable but the floor board was not level. I'd assume the same could be said of the full size transit, but now I'm assuming.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9697 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
following.. I had the same Idea and I refuse to buy an expensive camper

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should sell both the escape and ranger and buy a sprinter van. I do not think the rig you are considering will be a suitable rig to travel comfortably long distances.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
something like this would be cool to add

https://www.instructables.com/...ersion-Build-Part-1/

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I bought this 2015 Transit 150XLT in 2016. Great van. towed a bassboat easily and mine was pretty loaded with carpet, insulation on walls/ceiling, xm, all power and 2 rows of bench seats. I took the 2nd row out for more storage and I never had 5 people in it at once. I'd buy another but I got great trade in value on a 2015 Toyota Sienna awd that my wife likes better. No problems at all but it had less than 40k when I traded it.

Lots of info on this forum
https://www.fordtransitusaforu...ransit-ownership.202

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
A good friend owns a plumbing business and he has several fullsize vans. Mainly Ford E-250 and E-350s but earlier this year he picked up a pair of 250 Series Transit vans. So far he's very happy with them.

I recently rode in one of his Transits and I do think they ride better than and E-250/350.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If in your 50's or older you are going to want something you can stand up in and has some amenities if you are going to travel in it any distances imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
... I have the cargo van version, not the passenger van version. Mine is equipped with the 3.7L V6 and just about nothing else, it's quite spartan, but it's a work van after all. Visibility is good considering I have a windshield and a window in each of the front doors, the rest are all solid panels. Driving is easy and it surprisingly agile for a large van.

With that said, my van, being a cargo van, lacks the infrastructure for rear seats. I don't know if the seats are removable in the passenger van, but when I looked at the Transit connect, the passenger version seats were removable but the floor board was not level. I'd assume the same could be said of the full size transit, but now I'm assuming.

I am leaning toward the passenger version for the “finished” interior and yes, all seats behind driver are removable. Cargo version is an option though, I would just have to do more to “finish” the interior. Could possibly save some money that way and you can get a combo of sorts with the “crew” version which is a cargo model but has a single row of (removable)passenger seats as well.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Maybe you should sell both the escape and ranger and buy a sprinter van. I do not think the rig you are considering will be a suitable rig to travel comfortably long distances.

The Transit is similar vehicle style to the Sprinter. Don’t see how a Sprinter would be any more comfortable. Either would be similarly equipped. My guess is the MB is more money and less options for service than Ford.

As for selling both Ranger and Escape, I wouldn’t want it to be my daily driver and the Mustang is a fair weather car.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
something like this would be cool to add

https://www.instructables.com/...ersion-Build-Part-1/

Yes, would be thinking about doing a “custom” DIY conversion. Set up that could be put in for road trips and then removed when not on the road. Platform for bed with storage underneath, small boat/RV type marine ports-potty, “shore power” hook up for microwave and such.

quote:
If in your 50's or older you are going to want something you can stand up in and has some amenities if you are going to travel in it any distances imho.

The Transit comes in three different roof heights and three lengths. I can stand up in the mid-height model with room to spare. Here is a pic of what I am thinking of. The mid-roof, mid-wheelbase model (pic might be the high roof model though)

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, and the Transit comes in much larger versions. I've rode a bit it a big Transit set up as a Church van. Lots of seats and tinted glass. Silky smooth ride and the thing climed hills like flat land. Pretty impressive for a ecoboost. This is the larger Sprinter size Transit. Stay away from the Dodge van. An actual MB Sprinter can be very expensive. A 170 inch wheel base cargo is near 80 grand. There is a 144 inch model. December 2021 the last of the Freightliner Sprinters roll off the S. Carolina MB assembly lines, shame. They are a rebadged MB. That MB Bluetec engine is a fine machine if you dont mind deisel. Its best oil is blended in Germany and aint cheap. You cannot let maintainance slip on this MB 6 cylinder. Oil and filter changes are 12,000 miles and will hit you $200.00 if you do your own. The high top Sprinter or Transit may seem larger until you drive them for a while but you'll be pleased with the extra space. Heck, add a few grand and you can have a onboard Onan generator for air, heat and lights.

Posts: 17910 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
My wife and I bought one earlier this year. It is a 2017 with only about 30k miles on it. I would not say cheap but it works well for 2 people and couple small dogs. We are a few years away from retirement and I also prefer only a Van instead of a truck and trailer.

We have a queen bed across the width of van. Sink Sink with 25 gallon tank, heater, roof fan, 200 watt solar, freezer/refrigerator and a heater. The front seat swivel around for when we are camping.

It works well for 3 or 4 day outings. Have not taken it on any long trips yet. 200 watts of solar is perfect to run everything we need.

Only thing I really don't like about it is if there is a crosswind while driving over 70mph it is not fun to drive. Slow down to 60mph and it is not too bad.

I would be happy to answer any other questions in email or in your post.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My minor user end 2¢, we have a bunch at work. My right knee bangs into the corner of the center "hump" painfully and it makes me glad I don't have to drive them very often.

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have worked on a number of Transit 150s (various clients, one of whom had three). The major weak point is the brakes. They are (IMO) under-sized, don't last long in heavy stop & go traffic and are difficult to service because the rotors are "captive," i.e., are on the inside of the hubs/axle shafts, as well as the park brake mechanism built into the rear calipers. Too bad they don't make the Econoline any more. Well, they do, but only in a 350 "cutaway," i.e., a stripped chassis.

Posts: 27983 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Gas mileage sucks. Our Civil Air Patrol squadron has a 2020 12-passenger with only 2k on it and it's averaging 19 mpg highway.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by james_1234:
My wife and I bought one earlier this year. It is a 2017 with only about 30k miles on it. I would not say cheap but it works well for 2 people and couple small dogs. We are a few years away from retirement and I also prefer only a Van instead of a truck and trailer.

We have a queen bed across the width of van. Sink Sink with 25 gallon tank, heater, roof fan, 200 watt solar, freezer/refrigerator and a heater. The front seat swivel around for when we are camping.

It works well for 3 or 4 day outings. Have not taken it on any long trips yet. 200 watts of solar is perfect to run everything we need.

Only thing I really don't like about it is if there is a crosswind while driving over 70mph it is not fun to drive. Slow down to 60mph and it is not too bad.

I would be happy to answer any other questions in email or in your post.

Could you post some pictures?

Posts: 5749 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Send me an email and I will forward you some. I don't have a photo service to post photos any longer. My email address is in my profile.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak for a Ford Transit, but stay away from a Dodge ProMaster or Mercedes Metris. Although I’ve used both for employment purposes, they are absolute garbage. Both had major problems with less than 3,000 miles. Not only with my vehicles, but a nationwide vehicle fleet. Tires are shot at 3,000 miles, cargo doors falling off. Metris sucks in winter weather conditions, the Dodge didn’t do much better.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Look at the Nissan NV200

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I can understand not getting rid of the Mustang. Of the Escape, which your wife loves, and the Ranger, which has more overlap of utility and ability with the van? What does the Ranger do the the van cannot?

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
passenger versions usually = much better sound insulation.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post