SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for mounting a Picatinny rail on a telescope?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for mounting a Picatinny rail on a telescope? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I have a project in mind that involves attaching a Picatinny rail section to a Swarovski spotting scope. My first thought was to modify something like one of the rings pictured below, but nothing in that particular line is small enough (my scope’s outside diameter at the front is 80mm).

Something like hose clamps or zip ties would probably work, but I’d like something a little less inelegant and, ideally, easier to remove and adjust. I’m familiar with the KDG Optics Hub scope housing, and I’m looking into that as a possibility, but I believe it would be difficult or impossible to use the scope’s focus ring. Badger Ordnance has something similar for the Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope as does Spuhr, but the OD of the Leupold objective lens is significantly smaller, plus the BO offering is outrageously expensive.

Suggestions?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
What are you planning to put on the scope?

One idea: if the second object you want to put on the scope is lightweight and/or has flat bits, maybe something like a 3M Command picture hanger?

link

The basic idea is two 3M pieces with mating Velcro. You'd stick the first on the Swarovski and the second on the rail, or maybe directly on the other object. You'd assemble scope and object together Velcro-to-Velcro.

Removal of the assembly for storage or adjustment would be simple (gotta love Velcro.) And removal of the 3M pieces from the scope or rail/object would be simple and clean, using the classic '3M pull'.

That wouldn't be as elegant as a custom-made metal clamp/housing, but would be way classier than duct tape, which (living here in the South) I do feel obliged to mention. Smile

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Hmm ....
Gluing actually crossed my mind, but I didn't want anything that permanent.
The plan is to be able to mount a red dot sight on the scope for hasty alignment on the "target" as discussed in the below thread. Because the spotting scope isn't used for precise aiming, though, something with Velcro might be adequate for the purpose.

Thanks for the idea; something to consider and experiment with.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8850037974

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
This place has aluminum round clamps over 3inches. But you'll have to find a way to mount your rail section. Local machine shop may be able to help. The chart shows #9 that is over 3 inches, but then above its says 2.5 inches ? Might be worth a call.
https://www.tkoclamps.com/product/custom-hose-clamp/

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How about double sided 3M tape? Link You use dental floss to saw through it to remove it.

Posts: 10999 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Those custom clamps look like they could be drilled and tapped for screws, but the inside diameter of 2.5 inches wouldn't be enough. Might be worth checking, though.
And double sided foam tape is another possibility.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.

6.4/93.6

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What about Command Strips?

Some of those are pretty heavy duty and you could use as many as would fit the underside of the rail. Then when you’re done, you remove them and no damage or residue.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'd still give tko clamps a call.
They probably make them on a wire edm and a in couple minutes the size could be adjusted.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Couple of appropriate length hose clamps, and a couple U-nuts. No need to get complicated.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What are those rail mounts that you used to see NFL sports photographers use? Maybe look into one of those?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18026 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do realize that Swaro spotter bodies have a gross aiming tube already on the scope??

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My Kowa spotting scope has filter threads. I’ve bought a lens hood that screws on to the threads; and a very cheap Stellarvue F1001 red dot finder, along with a curved base (F1001B). This finder was recommended in cloudy nights.com due to its lower brightness—appropriate for astronomy—compared with pistol-type red dots.
But if you will be using it for terrestrial things during the day, a regular, brighter red dot sight would be appropriate.

I also have a screw-on lens hood for my Questar 3.5, and could use a similar RD finder on it.

Does the Swarovski have pre-objective filter threads? I would think so.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
You do realize that Swaro spotter bodies have a gross aiming tube already on the scope??

Yes, but it is somewhat gross (imprecise) ( Wink ), and not always convenient to use.

The idea about attaching the sighting device to a lens hood is really good. I haven’t explored separate hoods for the scope because it has a built in sliding hood. But the objective ring is threaded and I did look into getting a solar filter for the scope, which was available, so that must be an option. Now to determine what the filter size is and whether lens hoods are available in that size. I also like the idea of a really inexpensive sighting device and base.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

6.4/93.6