SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Northeast, a potential storm Wed/Thurs
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northeast, a potential storm Wed/Thurs Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Yup, I too lived in Endicott untill about 13 years of age. Not a lot there now after the shoe factory and IBM closed.

Yeah, my Dad was transferred there by IBM, and then transferred to DFW TX about 6 years later.

During WW2, most of IBM's parts for their M1 Carbines were produced at the Endicott facility, although actual assembly of the guns was done at the IBM facility in Poughkeepsie. My Dad said that there was a display case of IBM M1 Carbines in the lobby of the building he worked at in Endicott.

I wonder what IBM did with them after closing the Endicott facility.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Endicott was the birth place of IBM. Early on they relied on Universal Instruments for precision machining of gun part fixtures. The original IBM Office building is still there on North Street. The huge manufacturing facility is now leased out to other companies. Owego, NY IBM is now owned by Locheed. I knew a retired IBM employee, a FFL who had a IBM carbine. A large section of Endicott now has a cloud of pollution beneath the ground going all the way to the river.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Just got through clearing 300 plus feet of driveway with blower.....a foot or so of that white stuff here.
Last year I didn’t even have to start up the snowblower...I hope this isn’t an indication of how our winter is gonna be!

Yep. My Virginia yard covered with acorns this fall, the squirrels told me a helluva winter coming.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Universal Instruments Corp. Opened in Vestal, NY. I've seen images of horse drawn wagons in front of a small building. I have seen a image and purchase receipt for their 1st precision machine tool. Some of the earliest Swiss jig bores are still running at Binghamton, NY. Universals 1st product to market was Nuhead safety pins. I believe many were sold for military use. They progressed into pick and place machinery. In time, they advanced into circuit board populating equipments, both through hole and on serters. I worked in their manufacturing facility both as precision sheet metals and, CNC machining. All now owned by a Canadian company who I also worked for, CMP-AMS. Should at least add the word snow here.. Big Grin

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post