SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    bifocal shooting glasses, advice please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bifocal shooting glasses, advice please Login/Join 
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted
Has anyone tried this or use them? What I really need is to see a focused front sight and not walk into a tree if I try to focus farther out.

In a dry fire environment with my normal specs it seems to work just fine, little tiny, sharp edged post up front instead of an amorphous blob and sad results down range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 6423 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My opinion and set up works. It was suggested to me by a great instructor, Bill Rogers.

My right eye lens is set to a focal length of the front sight. My left eye lens is set to a focal length for distance. Thus when shooting with both eyes open - the brain will "meld" the images together. It works, I swear it does.

You need to have an optometrist or ophthalmologist who can understand what you are trying to do. Mine asks me to bring my gear with me for my yearly checkups. And once we both verify the pistol is clear, he checks his planned prescription while I'm sighting the gun.

I have found that I need about 30 min or so for my eyes/brain to adjust to my "shooting glasses". So I put them on a bit before starting.

Hope this helps.
Andew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 865 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
posted Hide Post
that's not a solution I thought of, so with both eyes open you have a sharp picture of the front blade?

Posts: 6423 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It really depends on which shooting discipline. I'm guessing pistols since you said dry fire.

When I first got bifocals, I got my shooting/safety/sun glasses as bifocals.

It was great shooting:
  • pistols standing still
  • rifles from a bench

It was horrible:
  • shooting sporting clays. Damn clay kept going between my distance and my near portion of my glasses.

It was merely OK:
  • shooting rifles and pistols on the move. I had to keep my head angled down a little which was unnatural.

I very rarely need to read when I'm wearing them and my near vision correction is very minor (unlike my distance correction). I ended up having the optometrist order a pair of distance only lenses and having them installed in my shooting/safety/sun glasses. I'm much happier and plan to do the same when I need a new prescription.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23383 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I use bifocal safety glasses for shooting. The front sight is not sharp, but the target is clear.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by El Cid 92:
    My opinion and set up works. It was suggested to me by a great instructor, Bill Rogers.

My right eye lens is set to a focal length of the front sight. My left eye lens is set to a focal length for distance. Thus when shooting with both eyes open - the brain will "meld" the images together. It works, I swear it does.

You need to have an optometrist or ophthalmologist who can understand what you are trying to do. Mine asks me to bring my gear with me for my yearly checkups. And once we both verify the pistol is clear, he checks his planned prescription while I'm sighting the gun.

I have found that I need about 30 min or so for my eyes/brain to adjust to my "shooting glasses". So I put them on a bit before starting.

Hope this helps.
    Andew

Same, except mine are flipped as I am left eye dominant. Works great. Normally take them off and switch to my regular progressive sunglasses before leaving the range, but one day at Paducah I was on my way back after lunch before I realized I hadn’t changed before heading out.

Posts: 6945 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    I got my eye doc to make me a set of glasses(bifocals) like mechanics gleasses with the bifocal in the top of the lens...and it’s set for 26”(IIRC) the distance of my front sight for pistol...the lower lens is for distance so I can move about...I found I have a habit of tilting my face down when I sight in....and I couldn’t break it...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11335 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Main Thing Is
    Not To Get Excited
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks so far, I had no idea if it was even feasible.

I am looking for improvement with a pistol. I am shooting more bullseye and less action but I do participate in the occasional action-type (unsanctioned by anybody) match. Rifle works fine for me with ordinary eye-pro. Everything has optics.

Thanks for the direction here, I don't even know what I don't know about this topic.

I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Hope this helps.
    Andew

This is a variant on "mono vision", something I have been using for around 35 years in my contact lenses to start with and then glasses when I spent too much time staring at computer monitors.

It works perfectly and since my shooting glasses and my every day glasses have the same prescription, if I ever have to use my gun, there won't be a problem as I use the same prescription all day every day.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Neel
    posted Hide Post
    I brought a 'blue gun' to the glass store and had them mark the 'near' part of the lens correction done while looking at the front sight of my blue gun.

I got a few strange looks but it worked out for handgun shooting, it wasn't much good for anything else though.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned for
    showing his ass
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Hope this helps.
    Andew

I did the same here ... however with contact lenses. Really worked well for me.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    You're going to feel
    a little pressure...
    posted Hide Post
    Tacticalrx.com
    Pricey, but the best solution I have found is their "Almost" lens. It's for when you can "almost see the front sight".
    They place an upside down bifocal in the dominant eye lens. They have you measure the distance to your front sight and adjust the Rx to focus there.
    They also send a set of mock lenses in the frame plus a sticker. You place the sticker where you want the bifocal based on your head position when you are pointed in. Move the sticker around until it's right.
    My setup was about $500 before discounts and took about 4 weeks.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diablo Blanco
    Picture of dking271
    posted Hide Post
    I too have custom glasses specifically for shooting that have prescriptions specific to what I wanted to accomplish. I can and do practice sometimes with my normal progressive lenses and without prescription lenses and can function just fine. I can’t read anything small print with my shooting glasses on however. One thing we will tweak on the next go around is correcting the astigmatism better for my RMRs on my dominant eye. My doc is cool about having me bring in my gear to get it all worked out.

My doc did something similar as RNshooter’s system. It wasn’t cheap but I am extremely happy with the results.

DK

Posts: 2988 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    El Cid said it very well. That’s what works for me. Put the glasses on about an hour before shooting. Once I wore them all afternoon and evening because I just got used to it.

Posts: 105 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Main Thing Is
    Not To Get Excited
    posted Hide Post
    This solution sounds workable but I'm going to check out Calcutrax from above also.

This is very helpful for me, thanks. When I asked the question I had asked a couple of friends and didn't gt anywhere, so as usual, Sig Forum for all your needs.

Picture of SPWAMike0317
    posted Hide Post
    My experience is the same as El Cid.

With the possible exception that both my optometrist and optician were both intrigued and excited about the concept. YMMV

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 724 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fourth line skater
    Picture of goose5
    posted Hide Post
    I used to pride myself on open site rifle marksmanship. Tossed it up to my should a few years ago and found out that's not going to work anymore. Tri focals will help me with pistol, but rifle I need to buy a scope.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Main Thing Is
    Not To Get Excited
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by goose5:
    I used to pride myself on open site rifle marksmanship. Tossed it up to my should a few years ago and found out that's not going to work anymore. Tri focals will help me with pistol, but rifle I need to buy a scope.

scopes rock.besides that with a rifle you get to lay down a lot. Cool

posted Hide Post
    I believe this company used to be a member her numerous years ago. I will caveat this with I have not used them but they do specialize in shooting eyewear.

https://www.tacticalrx.com/

Jd

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's all part of
    the adventure...
    posted Hide Post
    As others have already mentioned, my setup (bifocal shooting glasses) is the same — dominant eye top is set for mid-range (front sight distance) and non-dominant eye set for distance, both over reading strength (so I can read headstamps). I went into trifocals a few years ago and although I “can” shoot with them, it’s kind of a PITA to either try to get the front sight into the narrow mid-range zone, or use the distance zone and see a fuzzy front sight. Years ago I tried progressives and didn’t care for them.

My local optometrist has a guy that has made these for numerous folks, including many LEOs. When you first put them on, it’s a little weird for a few minutes, but your brain adjusts pretty quickly. In my case, I feel it was worth the out-of-pocket expense. If I were a smarter man, I would’ve acted until the next calendar year so my vision insurance would have paid for them. Still and all, money well spent when I shoot.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
    SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1684 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post