SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am Login/Join 
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Yes. no. thank you Sir/Ma'am to just about everyone I come into contact with. Just courtesy and respect to me and I think I picked it up in boot camp.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now days they want to charge you with a crime of " Misgendering " . Choose wisely ..

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Raised mostly in the south in the 60s and 70s, sir and ma’am are part of me. If they’re older of if I don’t know them, they’re “ma’am” or “sir” until they do something to prove otherwise. I sometimes use “Miss” with young ladies after one giggled when I used ma’am for her.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Had a Yankee friend tell me it was insulting to imply his wife was a madam and ask me not to use it.
Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in Commiefornia it seems Ma’am is as likely to offend as be seen as a sign of respect. I tend to use “young lady” instead. It always seems gets a smile out of the older women.

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I was raised by very southern parents, yes mam'am and no sir were simply part of the family dialog. I've carried that the rest of my working and social life, it simply comes naturally. I even open doors for women, admittedly I get some strange looks, but most ladies will smile and some even say thank you.

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the hell out of opening doors at the restaurant or anywhere else for the old gals. I always step in front of them open the door and say allow me ladies. They just love it. I did that for two old gals at our favorite place awhile back and they both just giggled. One looked at me and said I guess chivalry is not dead. As they walked away the other said and he's so handsome too! Haha!! Try it sometime it puts a smile on everyone's face.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post