SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am Login/Join 
posted
I spoke to my customers with Yes Sir.
I taught my sons to do the same. It's amazing to see a young eighteen year old man say
Yes Sir to an older gentleman. He hired him on the spot! Manners still mean something these days.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
I get called sir a lot by younger coworkers who are from India, and of course, people from the south, since I have been doing a project in North Carolina for the past couple years.

I always think of the Bob and Tom "I am not sir, I am El Conquistador" bit but I'm pretty sure most would not get the joke.

The thing I find odd is when I am a customer dealing with a service worker that calls me "boss". I'm not used to that. Not sure if I've been called "chief" or not, but probably.

I was hanging out with friend that was in the navy some years ago and we went through some of the base gates and they kept calling him "chief", but then I realized, that's his rank!

Posts: 4957 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a youngster I was taught to always say yessir/nosir as one word. Then I went into the Army and learned pretty quickly that drill sergeants don't like to be called Sir.

Now days the "sir"/"mam" is creeping back into my vocabulary but really have to be careful as sometimes it is hard to tell the gender and get it correct,

Phu Bai, Vietnam, 68-69
Baghdad, Iraq, 04-05

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I think the “boss” thing is Latin/Argentina.

The border, people used to call customers “jefe” at times.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Being born and raised in the South, it's an automatic thing. Every man is Sir, every woman is Miss or Ma'am.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
"I think once you stop hearin' sir and ma'am, the rest is soon to foller"

Cormac McCarthy - Sheriff Ed from No Country for Old Men

Posts: 7409 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

I was hanging out with friend that was in the navy some years ago and we went through some of the base gates and they kept calling him "chief", but then I realized, that's his rank!

Correct. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Correct. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Look at that mustache!!

Posts: 482 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Many times I've had women spin around with a look on their face of how dare you. Do you think I'm old? I explain I use the word Ma'am to convey respect. It's not an estimate of age.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I've been thanked a few times for calling a lady 'miss'.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Being born and raised in the South, it's an automatic thing. Every man is Sir, every woman is Miss or Ma'am.

In the mid 60’s at the age of 13, we moved to South Carolina after having spent most of my life in So. CA. It only took me a week or so to answer yes/no sir/ma’am after continually being corrected by teachers and other adults. It ended up being a very important life lesson. Even in my 70’s I still address folks that way.

Posts: 815 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

Boss is what prisoners cal the guards

Posts: 591 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I do the same, and it used to be easy, but these days it can get you in trouble. I made a traffic stop on a car once and when I walked up to the window, I started my usual spiel of "Good evening, sir, I'm officer X with the X police department and the reason I'm stopping you today is..."

The person behind the wheel responded "I'm a ma'am."

Eek

Posts: 9248 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

Boss is what prisoners cal the guards
A police lieutenant who flew my v-tail addressed the captain he worked for, as "boss."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31449 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 76, grew up with sir and ma'am and still call most women ma'am unless I'm on a first name basis with them, and sir for men. I call younger women, like preteens and up sir and ma'am as well.

It's just the way I talk or converse and it doesn't seem unusual or stilted to me. Never had any flak or questions or strange looks from anyone I addressed that way.

I would add, however, if someone, male or female, is being rowdy, obnoxious or just a WTR, I don't engage in any conversation with them at all and simply go my way.

Bob

Posts: 1678 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Well back in the day it would have been """Yes Drill Sgt or No Drill Sgt."" or all hell would break loose.. and now when called " Sir" my reply is "" Do not call me sir..I worked for a living""..... Growing up in the 50"s and 60"s it was Yes sir or yes Ma"am or you got the back side of a adults hand up the back side of your head (the Denozo slap) for disrespecting a older person................But I still adress men and women with respect.............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Exactly. If I am speaking with a 12 year old, this is how I address them. The same as I would address anyone of any other age.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8756 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

A police lieutenant who flew my v-tail addressed the captain he worked for, as "boss."

Calling your work superior Boss is much different then calling some random person Boss. One means you work for the person the other might mean you were a convict in prison.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

I always think of the Bob and Tom "I am not sir, I am El Conquistador" bit but I'm pretty sure most would not get the joke.

I thought Bob and Tom were funny but I just couldn't get used to the constant laughing.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I am addressed by many as sir. One guy at work calls me Chief a lot. Without getting into too much, I stood up for him with the owners. He started calling me Admiral after that. I asked him to stick with Chief, as it just “fits” better. I know he was doing out of respect, but it just felt weird.

I have had a few people call me boss. I don’t like it one bit. I usually reply with a smile, “yes, I am, and that’s the last time you’ll address me that way.” One guy does it a lot in a friendly way. We have worked together long enough that I know he isn’t trying to be a prick, and he is from Jersey so it’s kind of normal to him. Anytime he calls me boss, I simply say “what’s up employee?”

When we interview people we usually have hiring events. So a lot of people show up at once, and are in the queue to be interviewed by the department managers. It gives me a chance to be the “greeter” and chat with people and watch them interact with other strangers. People who use sir and ma’am are always looked at a little more positively.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post