SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a way to store a patio umbrella horizontally on wooden fence when not in use.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a way to store a patio umbrella horizontally on wooden fence when not in use. Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd get a pair of these straps and you can use much smaller hooks to hang them by the handles than if the hooks are large enough hold the umbrella.
These come in different lengths.
Just be careful when you first open and handle the umbrella after storage as wasps seem to like them. Maybe a waterproof bag. I learned the hard way.

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Ca...y-Duty/dp/B07PGLDXJX

Posts: 9449 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a little while with a patio sun umbrella in middle Indiana, I realized that it was not really an umbrella.

It was a sail. Quite a good sail considering how much I had to chase after it.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Ha !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8633 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Build a couple of mounts out of the same wood as the fence, then it will look like it was designed to be part of the fence from the get go...

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are much appreciated.!!!!

This wasn't to store the umbrella outside after the season. It is to temporary store the umbrella while the car is in the space. Once the car is out and we with to use the space as a court yard to sit out or entertain, I can easily set it up.

I think will give the above a try. I just need to make the wood bracket deep enough to house the umbrella and not too wide. If need be, I can add straps to secure against wind.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knezz:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Build a couple of mounts out of the same wood as the fence, then it will look like it was designed to be part of the fence from the get go...

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are much appreciated.!!!!

This wasn't to store the umbrella outside after the season. It is to temporary store the umbrella while the car is in the space. Once the car is out and we wish to use the space as a court yard to sit out or entertain, I can easily set it up.

I think will give the above a try. I just need to make the wood bracket deep enough to house the umbrella and not too wide. If need be, I can add straps to secure against wind.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used, with great success, those galvanized steel “C” type books w/ the “rubberey” covers over the “C” part of the hooks for a couple years to hold our collapsed umbrella and our pool vacuum pole. I screwed them under our bedroom window which is a bay type window and extends from the house. It is the backyard a few steps from the pool and the deck where the umbrella is used. It is out of the way for mowing and yard work and is secured during midwest thunderstorms.

Posts: 4020 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside, my dad is still working in the sewage field…over the 4th I was there visiting and he told me the green PVC you see used for fresh water or sewage removal is $20 a foot. OUCH… plus it’s ruined by UV, so you would have to spray paint it.

Wood is the way to go.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post