SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a way to store a patio umbrella horizontally on wooden fence when not in use.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a way to store a patio umbrella horizontally on wooden fence when not in use. Login/Join 
Picture of Knezz
posted
Greetings,

I'm in need of ideas on ways of storing my patio umbrella when not in use. I live in the city. Parking has become impossible. I was force to convert my modest courtyard into a car pad. I need to storm my patio umbrella horizontally on a wood fence when the car in parked in the space.

Your Google search "Kung Fu" is probably greater than mine. I just can't find much - to my surprise.

I was thinking of stainless steel hooks but haven't found any that look decent. I don't wish the use basic galvanized hooks that are at the box stores. They are mostly the lag type hooks. I'm in need of something that can be bolted on with lock washer and nuts to keep the secure over time. The umbrella will only be outside during the warmer months.

I'm open other ideas and hooks.

Thank you all in advance for any help and ideas.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although they are not things of great beauty, bicycle hanger hooks would work. Look better than the galvanized stuff, anyway.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Since an umbrella is pretty lightweight, one option is to cut a pair of J shaped hooks out of a wood fence picket that matches the fence. Drill a couple of holes in the long end and attach with stainless bolts. I made a double pair of these for hanging pool cleaning poles a few years ago, they have held up fine.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Or just get 2 straps, and suspend it horizontal hanging on 2 screws in the fence.

If it were me, I'd probably use something similar to these
https://www.amazon.com/Garage-...s%2C135&sr=8-38&th=1

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
What about the large hooks used to store skimmers, hoses, vacuums, etc poolside...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8967 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Or just get 2 straps, and suspend it horizontal hanging on 2 screws in the fence.

If it were me, I'd probably use something similar to these
https://www.amazon.com/Garage-...s%2C135&sr=8-38&th=1

I have used something like these to store our 2 kayaks and have held up great plus they take up very little space when not being used..

https://www.amazon.com/Storage...p%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-16

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Go to the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowes and get the straps used to hang 4 inch pipe. One option is this:pipe strap

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Go a step further and buy a section of that 4" PVC and secure it with galvanized straps and keep the umbrella in there, protected from the sun and rain. Scuffed and painted to match the fence, it would probably look better aesthetically too.

Edit: galvenized and zinc may react with the fence and cause streaking of the wood. Maybe just drill a 1/2" hole, then a 1/4" and secure the pipe with a staiess cap allen bolt on either end.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The straps are a good idea and will be easier to use with a slight tilt without OCD inducing uneven hooks mounted.

Based on my experience you’ll want some drop towards umbrella bottom or it will hold water from rain.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12457 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out door umbrella storage is forbidden .

Unless it's washed with fresh water first dryed indoors and then closed and slid inside a 10 inch dia. cylinder.

The elements are torture on umbrellas canvas and wood.

Salt ,acid rain and sun are cancer to most patio furniture.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54715 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
8" PVC pipe for protection from UV and elements? Attached to wall (or stood in corner of closet)?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Go a step further and buy a section of that 4" PVC and secure it with galvanized straps and keep the umbrella in there, protected from the sun and rain. Scuffed and painted to match the fence, it would probably look better aesthetically too.

Edit: galvenized and zinc may react with the fence and cause streaking of the wood. Maybe just drill a 1/2" hole, then a 1/4" and secure the pipe with a staiess cap allen bolt on either end.

I like the PVC tube idea, cap one end & slide the umbrella in. Out of the elements & won't move with an errant gust of wind.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15397 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I store my ladder on large coated hooks, but that PVC tube idea is even better-out of sight

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The eight or ten inch PVC tube idea sounds like a great idea, but as someone who has purchased PVC pipe relatively recently, I shudder to think what a ten foot length of 8” or 10” PVC would cost, even if you didn’t buy a couple of caps.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
The eight or ten inch PVC tube idea sounds like a great idea, but as someone who has purchased PVC pipe relatively recently, I shudder to think what a ten foot length of 8” or 10” PVC would cost, even if you didn’t buy a couple of caps.

Wow, you got my interest and a very quick search shows 10 foot schedule 40 8" at around $250. Insane!!

I didn't look at DWV pipe for prices. Or maybe the flimsy stuff used for yard drainage.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Wow, you got my interest and a very quick search shows 10 foot schedule 40 8" at around $250. Insane!!

I didn't look at DWV pipe for prices. Or maybe the flimsy stuff used for yard drainage.

Yeah, SDR 35 would probably be a little better (if you can get less than 20’ sticks), and if you’re painting it the green color wouldn’t matter. You probably wouldn’t want to go to the hen-skinned crap that some landscapers use that cracks if you get a shovel within six inches of it because if you do something is bound to bump (and shatter) it.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Quickfist

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Build a couple of mounts out of the same wood as the fence, then it will look like it was designed to be part of the fence from the get go...

Posts: 23598 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Build a couple of mounts out of the same wood as the fence, then it will look like it was designed to be part of the fence from the get go...

This works too.
Our new house had a couple angles wood blocks on the fence that were perfectly spaced & stuck out far enough to hold my 28' extension ladder.

Cheap & effective, and inconspicuous when not in use.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15397 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Get the pipe, leave the ends open to allow air movement. Maybe some sort of screen for birds and bugs. Sunlight will fade it unevenly and it’ll look like ass in one season.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post