SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apparently Chase finds it strange or does not like you paying your credit card in cash
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently Chase finds it strange or does not like you paying your credit card in cash Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have the Amazon Visa Card through Chase Bank because the rewards are quite nice. I put pretty much everything on the card as possible (expect places that add a fee) and I pay it off every month. I pay it off with CASH at the same branch every time. I have done this since I opened I got the card 3 years ago, never carried a balance, never been late.
I have no accounts with Chase aside from this CC because frankly their rates suck and the local Credit Union has great rates and service. However they do not have a credit card that has a rewards program that is worth anything, hence the reason I have the Amazon/Chase card.
I have had the card for over 3 years, never been late, always paid cash. Now if the amount owed is say 3,456.87 I will generally pay 3,460 so I am not dealing with singles and change. Again, done this for years and we are not talking very much money. Just our daily expenses and some bills.

I always go to the same branch everyone that works there knows me and expects to see me between the 10th and 14th for my monthly visit. They are all nice wonderful people.

I get a call today from a branch manager of a branch I have NEVER been to. She starts off very very accusatory. She says that she noticed that since February I have paid all my balances in cash. I said well if you keep going back you will see I have paid every single month I have had the card with cash.
She asked me if I owned a business, to which I responded that I do not. She then asked if I get paid in cash, to which I said I do not. She then asked where I get my money to pay my credit card. I responded from my wife and my paychecks.
She responded Ohh, that is all I needed to know.
It took all I had not to give this woman the what for and explain that where I get my money is none of her damn business!
It was very weird because we aren’t talking much money at all.

So when I go to pay the credit card next month in CASH and am going to have a talk with the branch manager at the location I go to and let them know about the rude lady they have working for them across town.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
She was probably red flagging you for possible criminal activity, for instance money laundering. That's why she asked if you run a business. I think they're even obligated to report cash activity above $10,000.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If Black is paying off a $10,000 balance every month, he's got a bigger problem.

Here's also something I assume, when she called you, did she asked to verify if you are you? When someone calls me and say they're from one of the companies I deal with and they ask me for information to verify who I am, I point out they're the ones that called me and I'm not giving out any information to anyone who calls me out of the blue.

Besides that, why is it any of her business? I personally find it strange that you would go in person every month and pay off your balance in cash but it's your money and your time. You're not asking me to stop by pick up your payment and bring it to the bank.

I wouldn't have humored her nosiness.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason I got my tiny town bank visa is because I could pay in cash.

But

I almost never go over $150.00

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason you do not link your credit union account to your Chase app for payment?

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I link my Chase Amazon card to my bank account and like the OP, use it only for the Amazon benefits. Pay it off several times a month via online transfer.
Beyond that, no desire to further my business with Chase. I would not have answered the woman's questions and would have hung up on her.
Pretty shitty business practice, there, Chase!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16390 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"From illegal drug sales and a prostitution ring."

I mean, what do they expect you to say?

"I'm funded by Hezbollah." ?

Posts: 21373 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have answered the damn call. Waste of time. You haven't violated any laws or any of their policies.

Q

Posts: 27602 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
She asked me if I owned a business

"Why? You interested in a couple of kilos?" I'd think they wouldn't give a damn how they get paid, so long as it happens.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If Black is paying off a $10,000 balance every month, he's got a bigger problem.

If he's charging AND paying that much, I'd say he's doing pretty damn well. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I would have said "nice try scammer" after her opening spiel and then hung up.

No way I’m answering questions like that on a call I didn’t initiate.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3903 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
SAR (Suspicious Activity Report) is required for ANY activity deemed suspicious.

Think if it like the "RED Law" for firearm related reports.

Anything can trigger an SAR, if Karen does not like it, Karen can report it.

The "$10,000 per day", thing went away with the Twin Towers.

It's mostly bullshit, because criminals are permitted all manner of crimes, and the guy or gal just trying to take liberty in life and pursue a little happiness, is a danger to the GDCs... (Commies/Cocksuckers is interchangeable)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44493 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
"From illegal drug sales and a prostitution ring."

I mean, what do they expect you to say?

"I'm funded by Hezbollah." ?

Maybe they think you're funded by "Hookers and Blow LLC."

Posts: 4567 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
The "$10,000 per day", thing went away with the Twin Towers.

They still use it to "frame" people for "structuring" if they have too many transactions just under $10k.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I have always advised friends never to pay mortgages, credit card bills, etc in cash. Red flag. Save that for personal stuff like home repair, auto repair, landscaping. The banks are not your friend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5938 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
The banks are not your friend.

This right here. I’m so close to dumping Wells Fargo like an ugly girlfriend.
The problem is, there’s no better place to go here in the middle of nowhere.

quote:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4364 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently Chase finds it strange or does not like you paying your credit card in cash

Well, maybe a little eccentric. It seems like an unneeded extra step.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Apparently Chase finds it strange or does not like you paying your credit card in cash

Now that you mention it..,
WTAF, Jeremy?

You get a paper check and cash it? Or you get direct deposit and take cash out to pay your CC bill? What a waste of time. Direct deposit. Pay online. Regain a bunch of time wasted on BS.

*unless you’re shaking down the drug dealers in Louisville and that’s where the cash appears from. Then by all means, pay cash. Wink

quote:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4364 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
quote:

WTAF, Jeremy?

You get a paper check and cash it? Or you get direct deposit and take cash out to pay your CC bill? What a waste of time. Direct deposit. Pay online. Regain a bunch of time wasted on BS.

*unless you’re shaking down the drug dealers in Louisville and that’s where the cash appears from. Then by all means, pay cash. Wink

That is pretty wild. I pay cash in real life for everything but monthly bills are done online and if a company doesn’t have online billing my bank will actually write them a check.

I can just imagine the bank lady mumbling “boomer” under her breath.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
As long as you can show the withdrawals from your Credit Union to pay your Visa card when you get audited, you should be fine.

Posts: 3473 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Is there a reason you do not link your credit union account to your Chase app for payment?

We have a HLOC at our credit union that we used to do some things around the house and my truck is on that as well since the interest rate was a point lower than I could get for a used vehicle at the time. So most of our money gets put to that to keep the balance as low as possible at all times which keeps the interest payment as low as possible. With the way pay days fall for my wife and I it saves us about 100 a month in interest. Will be nice when it is paid off but with the economy as it is that certainly won’t be as soon as I would like.
To access this money I can either get a cashiers check which cost $5 or transfer it to a checking account. Both of which have to be done inside the branch they won’t even let me use the drive thru for that.
And since I wait until a day or two to pay the CC before it is due So it’s just as easy to get cash while I am in there and then go across the street to Chase and pay the credit card instead of doing a couple of transfers. That can take a couple days to clear.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

If he's charging AND paying that much, I'd say he's doing pretty damn well. Smile[/QUOTE]

Not even close. The credit limit on the card is not even $10k.

quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I would have said "nice try scammer" after her opening spiel and then hung up.

No way I’m answering questions like that on a call I didn’t initiate.

She left a message. I verified her info and numbers through Chase before calling her back.

quote:
quote:
quote:

WTAF, Jeremy?

Direct deposit to my Credit Union and I go get cash from there.
Part of the daily job is business and bank checks going inside and getting to know folks in the area I work.
So, it’s not really any wasted time and actually am getting paid to do it.

Yeah, no shake downs involved.

Possibly a little eccentric. I don’t even use the ATM for $20 I go inside and get it from a teller.

quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
quote:
quote:

WTAF, Jeremy?

That is pretty wild. I pay cash in real life for everything but monthly bills are done online and if a company doesn’t have online billing my bank will actually write them a check.

I can just imagine the bank lady numbering “boomer” under her breath.

Used to do all possible transactions in cash but putting everything on this card with cash back gets me about $50 a month cash back that coupled with $100 in interest savings on my HLOC nets me about $150 a month.
So for $1800 a year or so I find my method worth it. Now when the HLOC is finally paid off then I likely won’t do it in this fashion.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post