SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quality button down shirts?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality button down shirts? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Wanted to look nicer for the holiday season and bought a couple of new shirts from Kohl's. After one wash they look like they've been waded up in the bottom of my wife's purse for three months. Ironing helps but they still don't look to my satisfaction. What is a decent non wrinkle shirt? If they last and look good doing it I'll spend a little more.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had luck with Jos A Bank Traveler's shirts. Machine wash and pull out of dryer and hang before they cool and you can usually skip ironing, unless you are one of those guys who needs the super starched look.

Buy them on sale 3/$99. Only retards pay full price at Jos A Bank.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 877 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
LL Bean sells no iron shirts that look really good after washing.

Posts: 9795 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I like Magellan from Academy Sports.

https://www.academy.com/shop/p...hing-shirt-109383201

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
I've had luck with Jos A Bank Traveler's shirts.
+1. Wear one practically every work day. Almost as nice as Brooks Brothers shirts for a lot less money.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once the Mens Wearhouse bought out Jos A Bank, sale prices went up and interesting patterns went by the wayside. Will check out the LL Bean and Magellan/Academy Sports mentioned above.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had luck with Jos A Bank Traveler's shirts. Machine wash and pull out of dryer and hang before they cool and you can usually skip ironing, unless you are one of those guys who needs the super starched look.

Agree as to Travelers, though I have found that button-down models are less plentiful in stores - or at least the last time I reluctantly went to a store.

Count me as a retard as I rarely can match a pressing need with an ongoing sale. Also, many of their promotions work best when you buy more than you need. If I’m saving by buying 3 discounted blazers when I just needed 1 new blazer...

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Brooks Brothers. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. They occasionally do have sales if you can wait.

Posts: 6566 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try UNTUCKED. All types of shirts.
Bought 2 flannels and they are really well made, fit well, but not cheap.

Posts: 1690 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
+1. Wear one practically every work day. Almost as nice as Brooks Brothers shirts for a lot less money.

My office mate has had the opposite experience with Brooks Brothers shirts. I don't know which specific collection he was buying, but he was constantly ripping through elbows on relatively new shirts. Maybe he has sharp elbows. Since going to Travelers, no issues.

As far as my pricing comment, regular price on these shirts is $89 (not worth that IMO). With planning, and waiting for the sales that they seem to have multiple times a year, how does it not make sense to buy three shirts for basically the regular price of one?

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 877 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My office mate has had the opposite experience with Brooks Brothers shirts. I don't know which specific collection he was buying, but he was constantly ripping through elbows on relatively new shirts. Maybe he has sharp elbows. Since going to Travelers, no issues.

As far as my pricing comment, regular price on these shirts is $89 (not worth that IMO). With planning, and waiting for the sales that they seem to have multiple times a year, how does it not make sense to buy three shirts for basically the regular price of one?

I had the same experience with Brooks Brothers regarding quality. They also leaned more towards ‘classic fit’, ie supper baggy and straight cut torso, Travelers just fit my body type much better and last. I wash mine at home and hang immediately (still run an iron over them in the morning).

Wait for the sales...

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Costco Kirkland brand dress shirts.

A great bargain for price alone, very good quality to wear.

Our dearly departed JAllen was a huge fan and promoter of these.

Dillard’s, I think they’re in your area, has good quality clothing.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of Haggar, Izod, and U.S. Polo button down short sleeved shirts I wear untucked and they don’t wrinkle.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8740 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
L.L. Bean

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12919 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts (www.ctshirts.com)

3 types of body fits
Exact neck and Sleeve lengths
French or Button cuffs
3 types of collars including button down
Many colors, patterns and material to choose from.
(Breast pockets are extra cost)

A very high quality shirt in my opinion. Internet ordering and shipped directly to your door.
They often run new customer discounts

I have lots and lots of their shirts. Please note that I only buy the classic collar.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 519 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All chaps, no jeans
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
For everyday wear, the best bang for your buck is Banana Republic. Very good (non-baggy) cut, which is especially challenging to find if you’re on the skinnier side. Quality stitch/fabric relative to what you’ll get at that price point. I’ve got shirts more than 5 years old that still look good; the key to making them last is not throwing them in the washer; dry cleaning only. Check their clearance section at the back of the store for really nice scores.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I changed jobs recently and went from business casual to wearing a suit every day. I stocked up on these exact shirts and really like the quality and price. Watch the sales and you can get some good deals.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Rajawongse Clothier- Jesse and Victor

There's an initial minimum order, but they last forever and are custom sewn to your measurements/style/fabrics.

Almost a mandatory visit for any USG employees TDY in Bangkok...

Posts: 2521 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'll 2nd the Untuckit shirts and yeah...they're expensive.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Exactly this...

JB

quote:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post