SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AC questopm on an early Honda pilot/ridgeline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AC questopm on an early Honda pilot/ridgeline Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
On my 07' Ridgeline the AC blows good and cold. But it seems like the compressor fan runs continuously. That does not seem right. I am not familiar with the Honda system of this vintage as this is the first summer I have owned it. How is it supposed to work. Earlier this summer it was not as hot obviously. But I do not remember it running non stop as it does in the extreme heat of peak summer. Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Compressor fan? Do you mean condenser fan? This has two fans, one with a deeper shroud and larger or more blades than the other. The larger one is the radiator fan, the smaller the condenser. With the AC on, both fans should run when the compressor clutch is engaged and shut off when it is not. With the AC off and high coolant temperature, only the radiator fan should run. No fans should run with the ignition shut off. Hope this helps.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks E. Probably the condensor fan. Does not run with the ignition turned off. It is pretty loud. It seems AC related. Would the radiator fan only while the AC is on?
When does the radiator fan run in general?
Does the compressor run all the time the AC is on. If so does the condensor fan run non stop when the AC is on? Would both fans run non stop with ac on?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The radiator fan is supposed to run when coolant hits 200 degrees F.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the compressor run all the time the AC is on.

No. Provided it has sufficient charge in it, a thermo-switch in the evaporator turns off the compressor clutch when the evaporator temperature gets low. This is to keep the evaporator from freezing up. How often the clutch cycles also depends on the temperature outside; the harder the AC has to work, the less it cycles.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post