SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Judging a book by its cover - Shame on me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judging a book by its cover - Shame on me Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I get the sentiment and it's admirable for sure, but think about it from another perspective. If this young man did have less noble intentions, would he have approached you any differently? Or would a practiced, career criminal approach you as happened here - in a non-threatening, seemingly helpful manner - in order to relax you and get you to lower your guard.

It's a sad commentary on the state of the world today, but having situational awareness and being mentally ready to deal with whatever comes is just smart living.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also be as alert as Q as well and as gracious afterwards.. better be safe than sorry.

My ex-wife used to work at a large bank in Chicago area as a commercial teller. She had frequently told me of classy ladies dressed in fur and other expensive garbs, come in and beg for extension to their mortgage payments to avoid foreclosures, and of Mexicans, still sweaty and dusty from the field work, come in to deposit monies into their $500K+ accounts.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cannot berate yourself for "bad thoughts," only bad acts. Profiling is a defensive measure developed over many years for survival.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My 2 young boys are cub scouts. This is popcorn selling season right now. My boys don't really like selling popcorn, but I tell them we need to raise money for activities, and it's for the "good of the Pack". One of my favorite spots is downtown Denver outside of Union Station. We try to intercept people as they head from the Light Rail train station to the entrance of Coors field. I try to teach my boys to "engage" the potential customers or else they won't get any sales.

They are so young they don't have an predispositions about who is more likely to purchase our over-priced popcorn. They engage everyone equally as they spot them. We've been told "no" by people dressed in expensive suits, and have people who looked very poor buy a $20 bag.

A few weeks ago a group of about 3 or 4 young black men came walking past us. My 7 YO gave them his normal pitch. One of the young men had his pants hanging off his ass and long dreadlocks. Looked like a rapper or something. I was thinking to myself, no way they are going to buy anything. I was partially right, the young man took out a $20 bill and gave it to my boy. He didn't want any popcorn, but gave him the $20 and walked away. I was surprised and humbled to say the least.

My 2 boys and I are just over $3,000 in popcorn sales and donations in the past month. That's about $1,300 that will go directly to our Pack, just from us.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its very easy to do ,when you get to be our age.

We were taught that when we left the house in the morning , people would be judging how we looked , what are hair looked like,
how we smelled , how we spoke, how we acted around women and kids,

We were judged our posture our diction , our deportment ,our penmanship and even the way we behaved with cats and dogs !

there was a time when stuff made a difference .

there is a part of my little mind that still jumps to conclusions of the 60's and 70's,
But it is now connected to another part of my brain that filters what I act upon or say .

( the majority of the time )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post