SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Houston mayor vs Houston Fire Fighters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houston mayor vs Houston Fire Fighters Login/Join 
posted
To implement Proposition B in Houston as ordered by a court, Sylvester Turner and the majority(10-6) of the Houston city council voted to layoff 220 fire fighters. Prop B would pay Houston fire fighters equally with HPD officers of equal time and rank. Another big city pushing aside public safety to afford social programs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...KL0N?ocid=spartanntp

https://abc13.com/houstons-prop-b-what-now/5093886/

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have a very strong opinion on this topic.

There are only a few services that a city MUST provide it's citizens
- Police Protection
- Fire Protection
- City works (streets, water, lighting etc)
- Finance (to collect and distribute money for above)
- Leadership (to guide city resources)

That is it. Parks, social programs, beautification, community outreach are nice, but luxuries. If the basic 5 services noted fail, the rest is just icing on a shit cupcake.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
City of Houston keeps electing these whackjobs as mayor who waste money. Case in point, the day after the layoff notices went out to 200 firefighters:
quote:
More HFD Layoffs Yesterday While The Mayor Touts New Taxpayer Funded Poet

Yesterday while the city sent out layoff notices to more than 200 firefighters, Mayor Turner’s office sent out a press release announcing the city has selected it’s 4th official “Poet Laureate”.

The city’s poet laureate receives $20,000 for the two year term through tax money collected through the city’s Hotel Occupancy Tax dedicated to the arts.

According to the press release, the Mayor says “Contreras Schwartz will work closely with the Houston Public Library and the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs to carry out her community outreach project focusing on outreach to people with mental illness and mental health workers. She will also conduct eight workshops in partnership with Houston Public Library and mentor the Houston Youth Poet Laureate.”

Turner says “the appointment speaks to the great work that this poet has done and will do as an ambassador of the City though poetry.”

News of the city’s latest poet laureate came as more than 200 Houston Firefighters received layoff notices.

ABC 13 spoke to one of the firefighters who received a layoff notice, telling them “it's a gut punch." They report that the military vet and father of a young family moved to Houston to be a part of what he called "the best fire department in the country."

That firefighter hits Mayor Turner for his behavior, saying “he's going to double down and give us the worst deal possible.And he's going to make everyone suffer for not bending a knee to him."

Turner claims the city cannot balance the budget without these layoffs yet we’ve got an official City of Houston Poet Laureates being hired at taxpayer expense.How many other wasteful items, programs and people could we eliminate instead of Firefighters.

In a written statement, firefighter union president Marty Lancton wrote, "From the city's founding to the Great Depression, to two world wars and deep downturns of the energy industry, no fire chief had taken this course of action until today. Chief Peña now is alone among all Houston fire chiefs in that dubious distinction... The fire chief is carrying out Sylvester Turner's slash-and-burn plan for HFD."
That is the 4th Houston poet laureate at $20 k per year plus they have a youth poet laureate. I'd rather have 1 fire fighter than 4 poet laureates. One of the myriad of reasons why I don't live in Houston city limits.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This whole firefighter situation is a shitshow.

How whether firefighter pay should be equal to police pay is a voter/referendum issue is something I don't understand. And why the voters think that fireman are the same as the police and that there should be a strict equality of pay is also a mystery to me.

But given that the referendum passed mandating equality, the mayor is stuck with it, like it or not. How he is handling it is atrocious.

We can only hope it costs him reelection.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
It's more complicated than you think. The firefighters union as turned down pay raises in the past just to generate "negative" press. They even killed a mediation a few years ago because they could tell it was not going their way and wanted to exit before a public ruling was made.

The firefighter's union does not have clean hands in the fight at all. They have refused to work with the City Of Houston at all levels for years.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The city I grew up in (and worked for) had a City Manager that decided one day that if Fire Fighters were going to be on duty for a 24 hour shift, they should be working that full 24 hours not sleeping after 10pm. They should instead be out doing hydrant inspections, business inspections Roll Eyes, training, and performing other community services.

That was a short lived demand once the IAFF got wind of it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I have a very strong opinion on this topic.

There are only a few services that a city MUST provide it's citizens
- Police Protection
- Fire Protection
- City works (streets, water, lighting etc)
- Finance (to collect and distribute money for above)
- Leadership (to guide city resources)

That is it. Parks, social programs, beautification, community outreach are nice, but luxuries. If the basic 5 services noted fail, the rest is just icing on a shit cupcake.

100%. Should be law that funding for these is touched last. You must wipe out every other facet of the government before reducing funding for these basic and essential functions. I'm not even so sure about securing leadership, since they are idiots who get into these messes in the first place.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if you can get by without 220 firefighters, perhaps they can get by without a mayor and all the 'deputies' and entourage that go with the mayor...after all, he's more expendable

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
It's more complicated than you think. The firefighters union as turned down pay raises in the past just to generate "negative" press. They even killed a mediation a few years ago because they could tell it was not going their way and wanted to exit before a public ruling was made.

The firefighter's union does not have clean hands in the fight at all. They have refused to work with the City Of Houston at all levels for years.

The firefighter pension which was both separate and well run was the reason that they turned down pay raises. However after the mayor screwed HFD over and lumped their pension in with the other ones that were poorly managed the firefighters wanted to get the pay raises to replace the lost benefits.

As far as pay parity some cities have it and it works well. Don’t believe all the BS about firefighters not working as hard as cops etc. Cops do a job that I wouldn’t want to do and deserve every penny they get however the fire service works hard for their citizens as well.

The modern American fire service is highly skilled, highly trained, well educated, and responds to and mitigates all hazards from Haz Mat, to technical rescue,to EMS, to community paramedic one, to arson, to EOD, to fire prevention, to childhood fire education, to hydrant maintenance, to equipment maintenance, to welfare checks, to changing tires for citizens, to swift water rescue, to extrication and many other roles.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
None of this will matter to the libtard residents of Houston until the number of typical firefighter calls start to outweigh manpower and houses start burning and cats stay stuck in trees. Until then, they’ll applaud their nice shiny parks filled with illegals and homeless people.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
The modern American fire service is highly skilled, highly trained, well educated, and responds to and mitigates all hazards from Haz Mat, to technical rescue,to EMS, to community paramedic one, to arson, to EOD, to fire prevention, to childhood fire education, to hydrant maintenance, to equipment maintenance, to welfare checks, to changing tires for citizens, to swift water rescue, to extrication...

... to chili cooking, to Xbox playing, to Sportscenter watching, to couch sitting, to pole polishing, and many other roles. Big Grin

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
None of this will matter to the libtard residents of Houston until the number of typical firefighter calls start to outweigh manpower and houses start burning and cats stay stuck in trees. Until then, they’ll applaud their nice shiny parks filled with illegals and homeless people.

I think the police handle EOD, not the fire department.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:

As I said, a shitshow on all sides.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Libtards? I assume you don't mean all of us.

There are less well-off urban citizens who are all in favor of lots of government handouts, but even they aren't really full-fledged libtards, in the sense you probably mean. I bet a fair number of WV Dem voters are of this sort - in favor of government largesse, but not really social lefties.

We have a few actual libtards, but probably not all that many.

Most of the more prosperous citizens of Houston are downright conservatives. They get outvoted by the urban poor, alas.

But, more to the point, those national politics have almost nothing to do with this very local and personal dispute over fireman pay. That is a very local, small politics dispute between City Hall, the firemen, and (to some degree) the police. Left and right doesn't have hardly anything to do with it. Thanks for dragging national politics into everything.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] That is the 4th Houston poet laureate at $20 k per year plus they have a youth poet laureate. I'd rather have 1 fire fighter than 4 poet laureates. One of the myriad of reasons why I don't live in Houston city limits.[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying trust me but in thier defense the State of Texas severely limits how Hotel Occupancy taxes (HOT) can be spent. If I remember correctly it can only be spent on facilities or services that facilitate bringing visitors to a city such as convention visitor bureau operations, art centers, etc.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is all a big mess. My wife works for one of the institutions mentioned here (not being specific for obvious reasons) and her specific department is down several people yet she is still getting guff for not keeping up. Furthermore she is only there because she was moved for dubious reasons. Needless to say private sector options are being explored.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
.[/QUOTE]
... to chili cooking, to Xbox playing, to Sportscenter watching, to couch sitting, to pole polishing, and many other roles. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Of course. Don’t forget washing our personal vehicles.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] I think the police handle EOD, not the fire department.[/QUOTE]

Admittedly I’m not sure about Houston however fire departments can and do handle EOD including mine.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It’s a common tactic, while wasting $$$ on whatever senseless program they turn to cutbacks & layoffs where it gets the most attention.

Schools do the same, then ask for tax increases.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Just asking bc I don't know the particulars but was the city overstaffed by 220 firefighters?

In my neck of the woods our fire departments play call-out games to justify more firefighters, raises and equipment.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post