SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My oldest is going to drive! Suggestions, hints and help!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My oldest is going to drive! Suggestions, hints and help! Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
We are looking at pre-owned 4Runner, RAV4, Tacoma...but he wants me to consider a Ford Bronco.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Probably all solid choices for 4WD/AWD vehicles. The only thing about Tacomas is they are one of those vehicles that are very expensive to buy used because they hold their resale so well.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Not sure what kind of advice you're looking for here, Dave.

New driver advice? Vehicle advice?

Does your new driver really need a 4WD? It's added weight/expense (lower MPG, higher insurance premiums). Do they need a truck? You can spend a lot of money on used Toyotas (I literally have 5 Toyotas right now).

Two Tundras, a Sequoia, a Corolla, and a Camry.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I have no advice but would like to offer my condolences. My kids are pushing 50 but I remember the driving lessons like they were yesterday. Yikes!

Posts: 785 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Smaller cheaper but with good safety rating. Many new teenagers wreck or at least damage their first car or a boy/girl friend does it! I would highly consider a Rav-4. Nothing fast!

Tell them to drive like everyone else on the road is out to get them.

Blind spots Blind spots Blind spots.
Don't forget to watch them and don’t drive in anyone else's.

Teach them routine maintenance and have them keep a log. Regardless of if they do it or have it done.

For bonus points…
teach them to drive a standard shift! That has come in handy for my daughter more than once.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tell him mirrors can only tell you no.

Posts: 577 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Buy something cheap that you don't mind getting bent...because it'll get bent. Consider it basically disposable. If it breaks down that's just fine, they'll be motivated to learn to wrench on it

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bronco or Bronco Sport, big difference in price and vehicles. RAV4 is the outlier being a SUV, probably lower insurance costs and less fuel costs to operate.

Be a good idea to talk with your insurance agent to compare the costs of the four choices, depending on location, amount driven, his discounts from schools etc it can be quite surprising what one vehicle costs over another.

Right now insurance rates are way up, with the costs to repair the newer vehicles because of all the accident avoidance, auto drive, cameras and add in the cost of EV's are driving everyone's rates up.

All of those have decent reliability, I'd be in the Bronco camp, since it's cooler than any of the Toyotas (sorry toy boys Razz) and much of the pre-release early high prices have come down although they are still popular.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Buy something cheap that you don't mind getting bent...because it'll get bent. Consider it basically disposable. If it breaks down that's just fine, they'll be motivated to learn to wrench on it

Price out your insurance on whatever you want to buy before you buy it. I recommend something old, cheap, and liability only. A standard cab pickup is a good choice, no backseat for "extracurricular activities" and multiple distracting passengers. Yes, there is a bed for "activities"...but at least make sure there is no topper on it. Get a weak one so its less likely to do burnouts.

Of your choices Dave, I would vote an old Tacoma. Even better...a Hilux with a technical mounted in it to take up room for "activities."

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Way way back in the day I started my boys on Dodge Darts with slant six engines. They learned to maintain them which translated into pride of ownership and safe driving. Sadly cars these days are overly complicated.

And yes, regardless of what you equip them with makes an effort to teach them manual transmissions.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put as much weight, volume and airbags around them as you can, kids do stupid shit, even the good ones.

Make it count

Posts: 1431 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put as much weight, volume and airbags around them as you can, kids do stupid shit, even the good ones.

This!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4344 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Bronco? I hope your son doesn't know who Johnathan Ward is. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
A standard cab pickup is a good choice, no backseat for "extracurricular activities" and multiple distracting passengers.

Bench seats and floor mounted shifters have never got in the way of teenagers at the submarine races Big Grin

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
A standard cab pickup is a good choice, no backseat for "extracurricular activities" and multiple distracting passengers.

Bench seats and floor mounted shifters have never got in the way of teenagers at the submarine races Big Grin

Good thing a pickup truck doesn't have anywhere else for such things. Wait...

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Pray???

Seriously, I would only buy a car that if it was damaged I would not worry about getting fixed. Let Jr. buy the car they want when they have their own money. Your only concerns are whether it's reliable and safe. If that means an '98 Oldsmobile Cutlass, well, it runs.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
A standard cab pickup is a good choice

My oldest just turned 16 and has had his permit for 6 months. He bought a '99 S10 for $2500. We changed all the fluids, belts, and hoses, brakes, transmission crossmember (rusted out), an alternator, and a drive shaft. I helped him some, but he did most of the work himself.

He put it into a snow bank on one particularly icy day and destroyed the front grille. I took him to the junk yard, got a replacement for $20, and he installed it.

It was cheap to buy, cheap to drive, cheap to fix, and cheap to insure. Eventually he'll want something bigger and nicer, but for now it's perfect.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Since you are in Cali, there always seems to be lots of good, low mileage used vehicles. I would pick the Tacoma or Rav4 and stick with a 4 cylinder. Better mileage and discourages them from getting to stupid with it.

I have 2 4Runners and they are great but I think the other two would be better for a young man. I Have owned two Tacomas and they are good too but a bit too small for me. Like others said, check insurance before buying.

When my daughter started driving I told her that the first accident or ticket she gets that was her fault, she would not be driving until she could pay for her car and insurance. She knew I was serious and got neither. I also taught her how to maintain it and the basics of how an engine works.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Have him put some "skin in the game". That worked out well with my step son. I sold him my old car for about a third of book value. Great deal for him, and he also paid for it, giving him a better sense of "ownership". I didn't care about the money, I just wanted him to be vested in it.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Time and distance; two consumables you are using at all times, and can never get back. Learn it.

Oh, you meant cars.....

I agree with something that won't create strife if it gets dented or wrecked. And is relatively safe and cheap.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post