SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for wire strippers ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for wire strippers ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I hung two ceiling fans yesterday, and I was using a dinky manual hand job or questionable quality. It's no fun wrestling with a wire stripper at the top of a ladder.

My purpose would be just for around home and car, occasional use. I see them in Amazon for 6-15$, which is the pos I think I was using, then at the high end over $200, obviously for an electrical pro. I wasn't seeing much in-between, which I thought was a little weird.

So what do you guys like for wire strippers ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Single edged razor blade.

Been doing aircraft electrical work for more than 30 years and they seem to be the best and easiest to use.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Klein make good hand tools for electrical work and they should fit in your price range.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I have these at work, and I miss them when I need some at home. Best ones I've used yet.

I've seen them branded as both Paladin and Greenlee, FWIW.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always used my pocket knife, multipurpose tool.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Wire stripper?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
Klein make good hand tools for electrical work and they should fit in your price range.

Klein. They make a set for different gauge wires that look like the cheap $8 set you have, but work really well. I've had 2 sets for a few years now and most of their strippers are less than $30. (Much cheaper than the ones in Las Vegas and they last a heck of a lot longer!!!!)

I like These since I do a lot of crimping of butt connectors, but they make all different styles.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kle...-Tool-1001/100647872

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm in oil & gas, and we have had to outlaw pocket knives, box cutters, razor blades, etc. as impromptu wire strippers for electrical maintenance and construction due to the staggering amount of injuries. During the incident (typically stitches on cut hand, cut fingers, cut legs, cut abdomens, etc) investigation, the #1 reason for using an impromptu tool instead of a wire stripper is, "been doing it that way forever, and I've never cut myself before."

All of my personal wire strippers are old, but I have both the style like Vtoky as well as the jaw type. $15 to $30 spent now will last decades and is much cheaper than a trip to the ER for stitches.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 590 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I only like simple dedicated Crimpers (like these), and simple dedicated Strippers.

The strippers have to be this style, I can't stand ones like this or like this.

(former mobile and home audio and studio installer, fwiw. I've stripped and crimped eleventy kabillion connections over the years)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have an older set of these. wire strippers

I've also used end cutters to stripe wire. end cutters

Used linesmen pliers in a pinch but really find them to be a PIA to use over other options.

I suggest you use real wire strippers for a couple of reasons.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barley:
These are by far my favorite.

http://www.kleintools.com/cata...-wire-strippercutter

+1

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Klein is good.

But this Milwaukee pair is my favorite.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
lineman shears or a dedicated tool, the klein's are nice but over kill.

I have a couple like the Milwaukee pair buy they are never around when you need them.

normally I use whatever knife I am carrying with a set of flat dikes.

background, been in telecom for 24 years

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've always used a pair of these.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
yup...those....loved the knife that came in the kit as well....you could put a razors edge on it

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I am a master electrician and use these every single day, so far the best pair of strippers I have ever found. They will also cut 6-32 and 8-32 screws as well, which are the most common screws for outlets and lights.

Ideal T-Stripper

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I like the Klein curves, tried other and keep coming back to these.

https://www.kleintools.com/cat...rcutter-closing-lock

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1748 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by barley:
These are by far my favorite.

http://www.kleintools.com/cata...-wire-strippercutter

Yes, I have and like that style of stripper. Mine is not Klein, but very similar. You can choose from 1mm increments of stripping

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first started out in the low voltage industry, my boss was a master electrician. He taught me to use my dyke (diagonal cutting pliers) to strip wires. I can do that for 28ga up to 12ga. Anything larger I will use my utility knife. I can strip up to 6 22ga at the same time to all the same length and leave the stripped insulation barely on to help twisting the strands.

He also showed me how to break in my tools correctly like my pliers. I got my preference for Klein tool from him. Those were all I saw in his bag and those were what I brought.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post