SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the SF WIFI router of choice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the SF WIFI router of choice? Login/Join 
posted
I have been suspecting an issue with my old Apple Airport WIFI and found this morning it is the reason my iWatch is having update issues.

What is the hives recommendation for a replacement? Since I know I will get many different options, what features should I look for to somewhat future proof it, at least for a while...

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I use pfsense and an Engenius WAP.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There are many threads with dozens of posts on your question. I recognize you are seeking current info, but believe you will find sufficient info on the older threads.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...320090884#7320090884

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5061 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ Like what mark123 said.

A router as described by most consumers is a device that is:
*modem
*router
*switch
*wifi AP

However, we in IT will separate by use so if you concern is better Wi-Fi as I suspect then address that with a proper installation using an AP as mentioned above.

So perhaps include some additional information of use, reason for the request, etc.

It is not just a particular model/brand but the complete installation and circumstances that will matter.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have this EnGenius EWS377AP

mounted in the ceiling pretty much dead-center of our 1300+ sqft. ranch.

As a connectivity test I just fired-up the camera on my iPhone and the Camera Remote on my Apple Watch, left the phone sitting on a window sill in one corner of the home, went into opposite corner of the home's basement, and snapped a photo. Walked out into the attached garage--again to the opposite corner, and did the same.

Doing walk-around tests I get pretty much full signal strength throughout the entire home, incl. to the corners of the basement.

Sitting in our family room the other day I fired-up an iperf app on my new iPad Air. Was getting over 450Mb/s to the AP on a 5GHz connection.

You don't need a router unless you want to isolate the WiFi network from the rest of your network.

Plus what smschulz said.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
FWIW the EWS377AP is my go-to AP and I believe mark123's as well.

However, I would never recommend anything without the whole installation picture.
It is a great AP though.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yes. EWS377AP is what I’m using. It’s most excellent. However, it’s not something you can generally pick up at Costco or Walmart.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We have been very satisfied with our EERO wifi. The EERO connects to our Surfboard cable modem via ethernet, and that modem is attached to the cable tv cable. The EERO ethernets to our ethernet hub to serve the house ethernet system. So the EERO handles wifi and ethernet traffic to the modem. We have a second EERO to extend the wifi. It happens to be on the ethernet but could also mesh with the original EERO via wifi.

Idk if these are "the best" but they were super easy to set up and they have worked flawlessly for us.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using this and it is working great.

ASUS RT-AX88U

It is configurable enough for me and I keep the firmware updated, so I do not have any great security concerns with it.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1533 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Depending on how deep you want to go, checkout Restore Privacy - Best VPN Routers Comparison and Easy Setup Instructions. Probably some of the best information you will find for us common folks.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I used to have two WAPs to cover our 2500 sq/ft ranch. Since replacing our EWS360AP with an EWS377AP over a year ago, we don’t need the second WAP and our kids haven’t complained once about the WiFi even with their doors closed. Before the EWS377AP, my oldest’s room only 15’ from the EWS360AP was a dead zone. I don’t know what specifuc features the EWS377AP has that make it work so much better. Could be the extra radio and antenna on each band, the Tx beamforming, the SU and MU MIMO, or something else, but it just works. A quick check on my iPhone 12 Pro from 40’ away through four walls says 85mbps on 2.4 and 50 on 5.

If you really want to or just like saying “mesh”, it has that capability as well. The WAF, wife approval factor, is fairly good as well as opposed to a black all in one box with a bunch of external antennas sticking out all over.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Is it POE-enabled?

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have an TP-Link Archer A7 and it’s been great, it’s a mesh router and has great coverage.

Looks like the latest (Sold by Amazon) is this:

TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A8) -High Speed MU-MIMO Wireless Router, Dual Band Router for Wireless Internet, Gigabit, Supports Guest WiFi https://a.co/d/eEGy7QH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Is it POE-enabled?
Yes. That's how I'm powering ours.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Just a personal experience here, but I would NOT recommend a Netgear Orbi system if you use Apple wireless devices. I’ve experienced issues with roaming between multiple nodes, but only with Apple devices like iPhones and iPads. It has been an issue across multiple generations of both Apple and Netgear hardware.

- Bret

Posts: 2467 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Netgear RAX78-100NAS Nighthawk Tri-Band AX8 8-Stream AX6200 WiFi 6 Router

My buddy has this one, and he’s happy with his WiFi on his property, and he doesn’t have to use an extender anymore.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
FWIW the EWS377AP is my go-to AP and I believe mark123's as well.

However, I would never recommend anything without the whole installation picture.
It is a great AP though.

We've recently had fiber optics service become available. The company provides the modem with installation and I was considering buying an EWS377AP but it seems that it is no longer available. The company's website instead shows a model designated as EWS377FIT. I was wondering if this new model would be a suitable replacement for streaming, WiFi for cell phones, printers, security system, etc.?

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

We've recently had fiber optics service become available. The company provides the modem with installation and I was considering buying an EWS377AP but it seems that it is no longer available. The company's website instead shows a model designated as EWS377FIT . I was wondering if this new model would be a suitable replacement for streaming, WiFi for cell phones, printers, security system, etc.?

They are the same AP with the difference is in way of configuring multiple AP's in the same environment.
A single AP or multiple AP's manually (individually) configured would be no difference.

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Thanks, smschulz!

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I run a Netgear Nighthawk Mesh 3 Node system behind the ATT Fiber modem, seems to work very well, we have more coverage than the old Orbi (2 node) system. Connectivity with apple, android, printers, windows laptops etc. have been seamless.

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/mk83/

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post