SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Having cataract surgery soon, what type of lens ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having cataract surgery soon, what type of lens ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
What is your vision like now-i.e. nearsighted, farsighted, astigmatic? Do you know Chan you share here) your habitual spectacle Rx?

I don't know, but everything is blurry at all distances, reading, intermediate, and distance, I can't see anything clearly. I THINK I heard that my eyesight is 20-25, but I have no idea what that means. My understanding is that most or all of my blurriness is caused by the clouding lens, aka cataracts, and the glaucoma is messing with my side or peripheral vision. So I use different diopters of "reading" glasses for varous distances, ie reading a pill bottle, reading a book, looking at shelves of merchandise in walmart, and my prescription computer glasses (full time IT), etc. I don't mind switching glasses all the time, I just want to see clearly without all the constant bluriness and headlight starbursts during night driving.

What you describe here is exactly what my eyes were like before surgery, absent the glaucoma. I disbelieve your notion that all or most of your blurriness is caused by the cataracts; I think they have more to do with dimness, yellowing, or cloudiness of what you see, and the nighttime starburst effect, more than how sharp the image is; could be wrong on that.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes coming on two years ago. The choices in lenses were correcting for distance, close-up, or multi- distance. Each has advantages and disadvantages and should be easy to determine based upon your most important needs and preferences. I will say that my understanding is that either single-focus choice is simpler and has better chance of success than does multi-focal (see armored's post). I have never heard of what your diabetes doctor suggests. I would run that by your surgeon.

As I said, my eyes were not sharp at any distance, and I switched cheaters around for whatever I tried to see, and none of it was good. I went with distance correction for all the obvious reasons. I am now 20/20 at distance and wear much lighter correction cheaters for computer work and for regular reading. Everything is clear and bright, and though my vision is not perfect, it is plenty good enough. I am very satisfied and very happy.

A further note I would add is that your surgeon is the critical element in how happy you will be with the results. He is not only the one doing the work, but is the one making judgements as to what will work best for you, helping you make decisions as to lenses and other correction needs (armored's post speaks to this as well) I had astigmatism in one eye, and he decided to do the correction with the laser rather than with a lens that corrected it. My results suggest it was a good choice, and it came about from his knowledge and experience. I came by him through reputation and referrals from people I know who used him.

Good luck with yours. It is very common surgery, and most go well.

Posts: 2706 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Have had two done in last 5 years.

First one I went straight lens 100 distance. Discussed multi focal but didn’t want the chance I would see halos or other issues a percentage seem to have. My reading got worse but I am 100% happy.

Fast forward to a month ago for the other eye. Again, did not want multi focal. Doc suggested 25% reading 75% distance fixed focal so I have a chance reading my phone. Was concerned about the percentage so we went with light sensitive adjustable lenses. Over two weeks I took a long drive and could not stand the lack of sharp distance vision. After two appointments where they zap my lense with UV to alter the prescription and my distance vision is almost as good as my other eye. One more treatment and they can lock them in. You do have to wear fugly I’ve glasses indoors or out whenever the sun is up until they lock in the lense.

Personal wants are the biggest thing now with all the options out there.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had my cataracts removed on both eyes this past Jan and PanOptix trifocal lenses installed in each eye. I had mild astigmatism and did not want to wear glasses at all.

I'm thrilled with the results. I can read tiny print on a medicine bottle and I can read street signs and house numbers from distance a couple hundred feet away.

Yes, there are some night driving halos, led headlights are the worst and reading in very dim light, like a laptop in an otherwise dark room, is a strain but I consider those minor annoyances compared to having to wear glasses. I hated wearing glasses and would make the same choice again.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Wife and I both chose simple distant vision implants with our cataract surgeries.

We use glasses for reading and desk work, not needed for driving. I am now able to pass the vision test for FAA medical certificate without glasses.

That is impressive.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was grossly near-sighted. I had inter oculars that corrected for both the vision and astigmatism. They were $1,000 premium each. My left eye had 1 diopter taken out for monovision. I couldn’t be happier with the results. That was in July of 2018.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4271 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your diabetic Doctor is confused - listen to your Ophthalmologist. I would set both eyes for distance and then use some type of reading glasses for things up close.

Your vision should not change much after cataract surgery - ever. It doesn’t matter if you’re diabetic, as long as your eye stays healthy ( no macular degeneration, severe glaucoma, diabetic complications, etc …).

Optometrist here - I consult on these all the time. Good luck. Easy procedure.

MDS

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Harleysbluff. Great confirmation of my understanding--as I posted earlier that is what my wife is getting.
"Some type of reading glasses" includes her plan--apparently very common--to get progressive lenses with a plano top and magnifier under.

Posts: 18337 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:
Your diabetic Doctor is confused - listen to your Ophthalmologist. I would set both eyes for distance and then use some type of reading glasses for things up close.

Your vision should not change much after cataract surgery - ever. It doesn’t matter if you’re diabetic, as long as your eye stays healthy ( no macular degeneration, severe glaucoma, diabetic complications, etc …).

Optometrist here - I consult on these all the time. Good luck. Easy procedure.

MDS

Thanks Doc. Very much.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post