SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Senate backs bill to crack down on robocalls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senate backs bill to crack down on robocalls Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Let’s hope this helps! A lot of ‘em come from foreign countries though.

“The US Senate has passed a new bill that could help spell the end of robocall misery.

In a nearly unanimous vote, they voted to pass the Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act, which threatens to slap scammers with heavy fines for each robocall they make.

The move comes as legislators, government agencies and consumer advocacy groups have ramped up calls to bring an end to the scourge of unwanted calls that affect millions of consumers every year…”

https://mol.im/a/7068337

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
While I like the idea, I don't see how they will actually enforce this and doubt anyone in government will follow through.
Let's hope for the best but not get our hopes up too much.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have a shiny new nickel, and I'm willing to bet that if the carriers / service providers were held accountable, backed up by fines, there would be some amazing technological solutions deployed very quickly.

It should not be that difficult to authenticate the origin of a call.

Pipe Smoker notes that many of these robocalls originate offshore. Certainly, those offshore calls that carry U.S. Caller ID numbers, clearly non-legitimate calls, could be filtered and trapped before ever reaching a subscriber.

We have (or could develop) the technology.

I say this as one of the engineering team that worked on development of ANI (Automatic Number Identification, for call origination) system at Bell Telephone Laboratories, starting in 1960. ANI was a predecessor of Caller ID.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see them fined per call, and the carrier fined for not cutting them off.

On the downside, I'm match V-tail's shiny new nickel and bet politicians exclude themselves so they can robocall/robotext to campaign. The Beto O'Rourke '16 Senate campaign was ridiculous with the robotexts.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I hope this helps,that new set of phones I bought in December is about to get all full up in the block call department.
That anominous phone bank has over two dozen numbers and I have at least twenty blocked.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've heard it all before.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't answer calls I don't recognize. They go to voicemail that tells them to text me

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I don't answer calls I don't recognize. If they leave a message they get blocked. At work I leave my phone on my bench so I don't hear it most of the time.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m sure it will work twice as better as the do not call registry.

Then the congress-critters will all pat themselves on the back while saying look what we did for you..

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charge 10 cents a call and it would stop.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charge 10 cents a call and it would stop.

I had a similar thought awhile back. Everybody with a phone has money on deposit with their provider. When you call somebody they have the option to charge you for the call or not. All charged calls are credited to your phone bill.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have a shiny new nickel, and I'm willing to bet that if the carriers / service providers were held accountable, backed up by fines, there would be some amazing technological solutions deployed very quickly.

Of course there would.

A couple months or so ago FCC Chairman Ajit Pai told the carriers "Fix this problem or we'll fix it for you." Obviously the carriers believed him no more than did I.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
We have (or could develop) the technology.

Of course we have (or could).

It's a mirror of the email spam problem. The cause is the same (a weak protocol not designed with abuse in mind) and the people obstructing the changes necessary to fix it are the same (carriers/ISPs and marketers).

Congress isn't going to fix it because Congress is thoroughly disfunctional--half of it is too busy trying to reverse the last Presidential election and the other half has no chutzpah. The FCC under the current Chairman, and most of the rest of the Board, isn't going to fix it because their interests do not align with those of consumers.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I don't answer calls I don't recognize. They go to voicemail that tells them to text me

That's all you can really do.

The fact that having to do that seriously degrades the utility of having a phone (same with email) one would think would cause our government to act.

Well, you'd think that unless you understand our government is thoroughly broken, corrupt, or both.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
These asshats don't use no stinken' phone; they use a computer, VOIP. The consumers carrier will have to block them. And they should, cause we're the one's payin' them for the privilege of being robo called. If a carrier would deploy blocking, they would be inundated with customers switching carriers.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
oh great, more government.

yay.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
hunt them down and let a SEAL team dispose of them

do that two or three times and the problem will fix itself

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
hunt them down and let a SEAL team dispose of them

do that two or three times and the problem will fix itself

After being awakened, interrupted, and just plain aggravated by robocallers and phone solicitors I think this is an excellent idea.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post