SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For the Love of mother earth! Coal has Gotta Go!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the Love of mother earth! Coal has Gotta Go! Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
How many coal-fired power plants are there in the world today

The EU has 468 - building 27 more... Total of 495

Turkey has 56 - building 93 more... Total 149

South Africa has 79 - building 24 more... Total 103

India has 589 - building 446 more... Total 1035

The Philippines has 19 - building 60 more... Total 79

South Korea has 58 - building 26 more... Total of 84

Japan has 90 - building 45 more... Total 135

China has 2,363 - building 1,171 more... Total = 3,534

That’s 5,615 projected coal-powered plants in just 8 countries.

USA has 15 - building 0 more...Total = 15

And Democrat politicians with their "green new deal” want to brainwash us and shut down those 15 plants in order to "save” the planet.

This is EXCELLENT! I knew a rough idea about the number of coal plants but had not yet seen actual numbers until now.

This makes the point. Whatever the USA does or doesn’t do won’t make a Tinker’s Damn regarding CO2 unless the rest of the world, especially China and India reduce their coal-fired power plants as well.

The whole “global warming” and “climate change” gambits by Democrats are to create a *supposedly* sound, scientific basis to justify a federal government power grab and the passage of MORE laws to increase taxes and increased control of the privately-owned power industry and its distribution. Never forget the *main* motivation they have!

“We will SAVE the planet!!”

https://ecbpublishing.com/how-...please-look-at-this/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Using modern techniques, Burning coal is a lot cleaner (less pollution) than 100 years ago. This point seems to be lost on many people.

That said, I'm almost certain there are more than 15 in the USA. that number seems very low.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that number for USA is a joke. The US has around 250 last time I heard.

Funny how the world only worries about western pollution and not commie pollution.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I am old enough to remember the no nukes push in the late 70's and 80's. Those marxists wanted the West to give up their nukes first!.

The new Green marxists want us to give up our western economies, liberties and self sufficiency first! now.

Our Democrat party is infiltrated with Marxists, but more are no longer hiding it now!

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
What is your source for those numbers? Not saying they are wrong, I’d just like to take a look.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Would also like to complement with the damage being done to the earth mining for materials used to make batteries (powerwalls, EV, etc). Not sure the pics were real or representative, but the ones I saw seemed devastating. Thousands of tons of earth mining to yield 1 battery?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's the problem with posts like that, "USA has 15" I know there are over 200 in the US. Therefore I have to assume the other numbers are bogus as well.

One thing I'm not sure of is how are coal plants that have changed over to burn natural gas counted? Are they updated to be classified as natural gas fired plants now?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
What is your source for those numbers? Not saying they are wrong, I’d just like to take a look.

- Bret

I'll say they're wrong.Those numbers for the U S. are wrong. As has already been pointed out there are hundreds. I can think of a few just within an hour or so of where I live.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
The whole “global warming” and “climate change” gambits by Democrats are to create a *supposedly* sound, scientific basis to justify a federal government power grab and the passage of MORE laws to increase taxes and increased control of the privately-owned power industry and its distribution. Never forget the *main* motivation they have!

No, the "climate change" agenda is merely the vehicle they are using to usher in the Great Reset.

Their motivation is communism.

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There's 7 left in Florida. Most have converted to natural gas.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
230 coal fired power stations in USA

Link

This is a list of the 230 operational coal-fired power stations in the United States.

Coal generated 23% of United States electricity in 2021,[1] an amount of electricity similar to that from renewable energy or nuclear power[2][3] but about half of the amount generated by natural gas plants. Coal was 19% of generating capacity.[4]

Between 2010 and May 2019, 290 coal power plants, or 40% of the US's coal generating capacity, closed. This was mainly due to competition from other generating sources, primarily cheaper and cleaner natural gas, as a result of the fracking boom, which has replaced so many coal plants that natural gas in 2019 accounted for 40% of the US's total electricity generation, as well as the decrease in the cost of renewables.[5] However, some coal plants remain profitable because costs to other people due to the health and environmental impact of the coal industry (estimated to average 5 cents per kWh[6][7]) is not priced into the cost of generation. Some coal plants are considering only operating during periods of higher electricity demand, from December to February and from June to August.[8]

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Democrat politicians with their "green new deal” want to brainwash us and shut down those 15 plants in order to "save” the planet.
The same people who couldn't order a group lunch without totally F'ing it up are telling us how they'll save the planet. Anyone notice a bit of arrogance and insanity in that statement. These people need to be told to STFU and go away. The sooner, the better.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, NG is much cheaper these days, but I think coal may the best source for “standby” power stations.

(The TX grid can go up to 100% wind powered some days - and I think averages around 40%. Coal power stations may the only ones which can handle being idled.)

I know very old, and very large, plants had coal powered generating stations.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
(The TX grid can go up to 100% wind powered some days - and I think averages around 40%.

I doubt those numbers. I'd bet it's not anywhere near 40%.

One of the windiest places I've ever lived is Great Falls, MT. If the wind ever stopped blowing there, everyone would fall over. They have a few huge windmills west of town and on a good day one of them will be turning.

Windmill power is inefficient and, frankly, they are eyesores. Worthless.

One of my favorite places is the Tug Hill region in NY. Some years ago they thought it'd be a good idea to put a few hundred windmills up there. It ruined the scenery and has contributed a negligible amount of energy...at what cost?

Wind power on a large scale cannot work for the cost. On an individual level, if you live in a windy enough area, it might keep a few batteries charged. Beyond that? Nope.

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“The TX grid can go up to 100% wind powered some days - and I think averages around 40%.”

I’d be interested in the source of this information.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Coal fired plants do not like being varied a lot and especially shut down then started back up. (Gas is a little better at this.) Doing so is very hard on the equipment. And now electricity from gas fired plants is produced more efficiently and for less cost than coal.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
ND has 5. One of wich my SonIL worked at. He left to go to a gasification plant. Saw the writing on the wall..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...in_the_United_States

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The resistance to effective energy production is symptomatic of the Leftist perspective that humans are a parasitic stain on nature. No energy source but wind, wave and solar is legitimate. Not coincidentally, wind/wave/solar are dramatically inefficient. Relying on them would yield a pre-industrial age standard of living for all but the elite.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The resistance to effective energy production is symptomatic of the Leftist perspective that humans are a parasitic stain on nature. No energy source but wind, wave and solar is legitimate. Not coincidentally, wind/wave/solar are dramatically inefficient. Relying on them would yield a pre-industrial age standard of living for all but the elite.

The people buy into it for the normal reasons, hype about climate change, global warming, man killing the planet.

Its easily done, just label people for renewables as smart, scientific, enlightened, malign others as ignorant, deniers, highlighted in the movie The Day After Tomorrow that was on last night.

The believers of science hunkered down inside and burned books, the others, uninformed shunned the believers advice and thus died in the storm.

Politicians want it for control, funding, political power.

If big oil and coal started funding only D politicians with billions the narrative would probably change regarding power generation.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Six in Michigan alone.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post