SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For the Love of mother earth! Coal has Gotta Go!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the Love of mother earth! Coal has Gotta Go! Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Have one great big one 4 miles from my house. Only time you can see anything going up the stack is on really cold days.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Found a list of coal field power plants
https://www.statista.com/stati...r-plants-by-country/

Comparing the OP. List

The EU has 468 - building 27 more... Total of 495

Turkey has 56 - building 93 more... Total 149. 34

South Africa has 79 - building 24 more... Total 103. 19

India has 589 - building 446 more... Total 1035. 256

The Philippines has 19 - building 60 more... Total 79. 24

South Korea has 58 - building 26 more... Total of 84. 23

Japan has 90 - building 45 more... Total 135. 91

China has 2,363 - building 1,171 more... Total = 3,534. 1,110

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Shut the ones in California and New York down now please.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The number for South Africa is totally bogus. The country has fewer than 20 coal-fired power stations with effectively one under construction and one recently completed. The construction of both has been bungled beyond belief btw.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when you post something you received in an email.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Whatever the total number of coal-fired plants in the US, it's one less this week.

One of our local plants, originally started as a coal-fired plant almost a hundred years ago but was converted to natural gas only a few years ago, was just shut down this week. The plant wasn't scheduled to shut down for another ten years, but local government pushed the closure up. They currently have contractors dismantling the plant equipment and are considering leasing/ selling space to be used by businesses.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
“The TX grid can go up to 100% wind powered some days - and I think averages around 40%.”

I’d be interested in the source of this information.

According to the Iowa Utilities Board in 2019 Iowa lead the nation in wind generation with 41.9% (up to 55% by 2021) of our power coming from wind. Texas was well back at 17%.

However, in actual megawatt capacity,TX is far and away #1, with Iowa a distant second Link

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Shutting down all of the coal fired plants in Michigan in an effort to save the planet is like establishing a 5' No Peeing section in a public pool.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
AFAIK, NG is much cheaper these days, but I think coal may the best source for “standby” power stations.

(The TX grid can go up to 100% wind powered some days - and I think averages around 40%. Coal power stations may the only ones which can handle being idled.)

I know very old, and very large, plants had coal powered generating stations.

ERCOT manages the grid in TX. Graph with solar/wind production is here: ERCOT

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
the "climate change" agenda is merely the vehicle they are using to usher in the Great Reset.

Their motivation is communism.
I think the motivation is far more dire than that, that communism is just a means to their desired end, that being the mass annihilation of most of the population of the earth (white people first, of course). Billions of deaths around the world, this is what they are fighting for (whether they admit it or not), and the inevitable end result of adopting anti-climate change proposals.

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
At first I followed the science and could not find anything, then, I followed the money and that's when I found the science.

Next time they have their meeting in Davos, they should hold it in China. That would be a hoot.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
wow, the last coal power plant in Oregon was imploded this week It was in Boardman. We have a member there as I recall.

I didn't realize this, but Washington only one Coal power plant left, in Centralia.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Man, I tell ya', these people are fucking brilliant. They shut down these power plants in a rush while at the same time hoping that renewables and "short term" contracts with other generators can eventually pick up the slack.

How about ensuring that you can cover the power demand before sealing your fate to these unreliable power sources? If we're not talking about replacing these coal powered plants with Nuclear, then you can just go ahead and shove that green energy talk straight up your ass.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Man, I tell ya', these people are fucking brilliant. They shut down these power plants in a rush while at the same time hoping that renewables and "short term" contracts with other generators can eventually pick up the slack.

How about ensuring that you can cover the power demand before sealing your fate to these unreliable power sources? If we're not taking about replacing these coal powered plants with Nuclear, than you can just go ahead and shove that green energy talk straight up your ass.

Follow the money.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post