SIGforum
What do locals call tourists in your town?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7240040394

June 29, 2022, 06:26 PM
nosticks
What do locals call tourists in your town?
hemorrhoids.

Awake not woke
June 29, 2022, 06:31 PM
schrack
Pennsylvania Navy.
June 29, 2022, 06:31 PM
.38supersig
Shitty drivers.

Usually plugging up the left lane.

We just look for the Florida plates.

June 29, 2022, 07:48 PM
tatortodd
Road hazards

I lived in Anchorage, AK, for 5 years and mid-May until Labor Day was tourist season. I could drive across town in a winter storm faster than I could during tourist season. It sucked for locals if your favorite restaurant made a guide book as a place with a normal 5 or 10 minute wait 9 months a year went up to a 1.5 hour wait in tourist season.

The RV rental places were the worst as they'd put an inexperienced driver on the road in a 30' motorhome an hour after landing at the airport. An hour after that they could be driving it through a mountain pass.

It also made me sick when they acted like the economy ran on tourism (reality was ~10%). The Anchorage and Fairbanks economies ran on oil & gas which was a 12 month a year revenue stream (direct and indirect). There wouldn't be 15 story hotels and dozens of restaurants in Anchorage for 3 month a year economy. The more remote burgs that actually ran on tourism had all in ones (lodges/gas stations/restaurants) and were only open 3 months a year.

My favorite t-shirt in Anchorage said:
In moose season the bag limit is 1
In halibut season the bag limit is 2
What is the bag limit in tourist season?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
June 29, 2022, 08:06 PM
2Adefender
Interlopers.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.
June 29, 2022, 08:12 PM
monoblok
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Californians

Yup. Same here in WA.

-MG
June 29, 2022, 08:17 PM
RB211
In Atlanta? Victims....
June 29, 2022, 08:18 PM
ElKabong
When my dad and I lived in Myrtle Beach he called them “Tour-ons “
Half tourist - half moron

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--
June 29, 2022, 08:24 PM
scratchy
gapers from the open mouth expressions looking at the mountains while stopped at a green light.

June 29, 2022, 08:51 PM
Blackmore
Flatlanders or Massholes as already stated.

quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I am a long-time ski patroller at a local ski area and although they are not ‘tourists’ in the traditional definition, we often refer to clueless, unprepared and usually non-athletic first time skiers as SPORS -

Stupid People On Rental Skis.

Definitely a patroller's term. When snowboarding started we added "SPOTS" - Stupid People On TrayS

Truth: The New Hate Speech
June 29, 2022, 08:54 PM
Bassamatic
Tourism is pretty big in these parts. We call them tourists.

They are a royal pain in the ass but they are also a big part of our economy. We don't hate them, we are just not that crazy about them. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
June 29, 2022, 09:17 PM
YooperSigs
They are referred to as Trolls or Flatlanders. Its amazing to me to see the number of high $$$ motorhomes and pickup towed trailer rigs that invade the Yoop every summer. For the amount of money spent, you could stay at a hotel. With way less man eating Yooper Skeeters! It must be for the "experience".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
June 30, 2022, 12:13 AM
Pal
Fudgees, because they all go home with fudge. they are a nessesary evil.

Jim
June 30, 2022, 01:30 AM
911Boss
Well my actual “town” isn’t much of a tourist draw, but the most accurate term for tourists in the greater Seattle area is “victim” these days…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

June 30, 2022, 05:47 AM
downtownv
Bennys

https://www.teampython.com

June 30, 2022, 06:25 AM
Hay2bale
Pennsyltuckians.

Most come for the fishing. They make dandy shoal markers, too. They actually expect the channel to be by the channel markers, but the locals know that the channel changes with every significant storm.

We love them!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass
June 30, 2022, 08:15 AM
rtquig
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There are very few tourists in Houston, and all six of them are at NASA.

I've been to Texas once for a week. You are right, it was to NASA in Houston. It was HOT as hell.

Living the Dream
June 30, 2022, 08:29 AM
PHPaul
Same as Cow Hampshah - Massholes or Flatlanders.

Unless I'm behind one in a 40 foot, grossly underpowered, Prius towing motor home being driven by a superannuated blue haired old lady peering between the top of the steering wheel and the dash.

Then things get MUCH more colorful and include a lot of hyphens.

Not too bad here in East Overshoe, but getting to/through Ellsworth (Gateway to Bah Hahbah) is a freakin' nightmare from May to December.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
June 30, 2022, 09:37 AM
ggile
Foreigners, even if they're just from North Dakota. Smile

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin
June 30, 2022, 09:59 AM
tacfoley
Unless you have a deep and earnest need to see where Great Britain's only president was born [Oliver Cromwell, BTW] there is absolutely zero reason to visit here at all.