SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home monitoring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home monitoring Login/Join 
posted
We are traveling more and I’ve been concerned with leaving my house in the winter. Looking for an inexpensive device to let me know if I have water in the basement or the temp drops significantly. Anything out there without signing up with a monthly fee?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good neighbor??

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You have several options here.

1) Wifi cameras. Some wifi cameras include temperature sensors. So this would allow you to pull up a camera at any time and get a visual of whatever areas you have cameras in, plus a temp reading. Some will allow you to set up temperature alerts if it gets below a certain temp. Some camera systems have a monthly fee, but others do no. (For example, I use Blink cameras, which you can use without a monthly fee unless you want to pay to use their cloud video storage service, and some of their camera models have temp sensors and temp alerts.)

2) Wifi thermostat. This would let you pull up your home thermostat on your phone at any time to check the current house temp and HVAC status, and make adjustments if needed.

3) Wifi water sensors. Put these in areas where you want to monitor for water, and get an alert on your phone if they detect water. Sort of a high tech version of the older style water sensors that just make noise when water is present.

4) Wifi thermometer. You could place these in areas away from the central thermostat where you want to monitor temperatures, like in the basement. You could pull it up on your phone at any time to get a reading, and set up alerts if the temp gets below a certain point.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We use the Ecobee thermostats as well as their wifi camera and door sensorr and are happy and no subscription if you don't want.
Also if you are going to got out of town for more than a day or two just shut off your main water valve

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Simplisafe. water monitor. cameras. have used system for a few years. generally like it.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Reolink cameras, both inside and out take care of my place just fine.

I would do a water monitor but then I thought it through and realized I turn off the water to the inside of the house just before I leave each time so there's absolutely no reason for a water monitor.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We spent 6 winters in the south. We were away from 5-6 months each year. We had 5 Amcrest IP cameras both outside and inside the home. They were Wi-Fi requiring only a router and power to the cameras. On the exterior cameras we used the Christmas light outlets in the eves.

On the inside we had a few motion sensors and 2 water sensors in the basement. We used a SmartThings hub to connect these z-wave devices. We did, however, turn off our water (we were on a private well) and drain the system, adding RV antifreeze to the traps.

From anywhere on the planet we could look at the cameras and monitor inside conditions. We probably had less than $1,000 invested with monthly fees. Worth it for peace of mind.

Guess what the first thing I installed in our new house?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Simplisafe. water monitor. cameras. have used system for a few years. generally like it.

Second on Simplisafe. Our cabin is 4 hours away and we have a SimpliSafe alarm system with three cameras so I can check in on things. We don’t have a water sensor because we shut the water off at the main when we leave. We also have an ecobee thermostat so we can turn the heat up prior to our arrival so it’s nice and warm.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions! Thanks guys. I have baseboard heat. If it’s above freezing out I do shut the well pump off. But below freezing the system may call for water.
I already have two older Blink cameras outside, so I guess it’s time to research all your suggestions, and my guess is my wife would be thrilled to be able to turn the heat up remotely.

Thanks again,

Terry

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post