SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big Change for iPhone buyers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Change for iPhone buyers Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Apple to switch from their Lightning connector to USB-C.

Apple to move from lightning charger to USB-C format for iPhones
By Aislinn Murphy FOXBusiness
Published September 8, 2023 1:10pm EDT

Apple will reportedly soon change how its next models of iPhones charge.

The California-based tech giant will pivot the upcoming iPhone 15 to the USB-C format, forgoing the Lightning port of past models, CNN Business and other outlets reported. iPhones have sported the Lightning charger since 2012. The change will apply to all the upcoming iPhone 15 models, according to some reports.

Apple isn’t a stranger to the USB-C port, with some devices put out by the company already utilizing it. Those include MacBooks and iPads.

The European Union’s parliament announced in late 2022 it had passed a law mandating the incorporation of a USB-C charging port for "all mobile phones, tablets and cameras sold in the EU." Companies will have to comply with that measure by 2024’s year-end, it said. Under the regulation, laptops in the EU will also become subject to the USB-C requirement in 2026.

The reports of Apple adding the USB-C format to its iPhone 15 comes ahead of the California-based company’s "Wonderlust" event on September 12. Many predict that the iPhone 15, as of yet not officially announced, will get its introduction then.

Fox Business

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16385 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's about damn time!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Finally!!

They also need to get with the program on their other cables.

Last year I got the wife a 13" MacBook Air. This summer, I replaced my old laptop and got another 13" MacBook Air. A few days after getting it, I went to charge it and grabbed the wife's cable which was nearby. To my surprise, it was different and not compatible with mine. WTF!? Mad

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Sounds like the old 30-pin flat connector vs. the more compact Lightning connector. And now that's changing. Hard to keep up, isn't it?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16385 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
People are happy about cables being obsoleted?

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Get with the program.... want to use our products then when we change something then you will have to follow suit.. If not get left behind or change to a different company/format....Computers are going to be the ruination of us all and we cannot stop it. ....... drill sgt.

Posts: 2022 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In the medium to long term it’s much better to need fewer connectors. I will not miss the Lightning connector. Lint in pocket gets in the socket. I will be happy to only need USB-C cables.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
In this case: Yeah.

Most of the rest of the mobile device world has gone to USB-C. It's mainly been only Apple that's been the odd man out. And, even then, a couple of Apple's newer products have gone to USB-C.

So, yeah: While I'm not exactly pleased by having to replace all my cables when we eventually upgrade to new iThings, it will be nice to have one cable for everything--two, at the most. (Some stuff still uses a micro-USB connector.)

As it currently stands: When my wife and I go on a trip we have to have Lightning, USB-C, and Micro-USB cables.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
In the medium to long term it’s much better to need fewer connectors. I will not miss the Lightning connector. Lint in pocket gets in the socket. I will be happy to only need USB-C cables.

Re: “Lint in pocket gets in the socket.”
I don’t see why a USB-C socket would be better in that regard than a Lightning socket. What am I missing?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

I don’t see why a USB-C socket would be better in that regard than a Lightning socket. What am I missing?

The lightning cable pocket is notorious for compiling lint and causing charging issues with the fragile by comparison charging strips. They are also far more prone to cable wear and failure at the phone plug side.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15617 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So Yurp says the USB-C is required. That'll really help with innovation.

Do people still use cables for charging? Seems induction coils can be used/installed anywhere. I have one in the dash of my '88 Suburban.

quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

You'll be missing the part where you can wipe any moisture/debris off of the lightning cable connectors before inserting it in to the device.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The lightning cable pocket is notorious for compiling lint ...
I can attest to that.

I don't recall ever having had that problem with prior phones that used micro-USB connections.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
My iPhone 5, X, and 12 had/have the Lightning port. Also, two AirPods cases. I’ve never had ANY port problem with any of them. Maybe clean living. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I like the FireWire. It plugs in either way and I’ve never had a single issue with them ever.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
So Yurp says the USB-C is required. That'll really help with innovation.

Do people still use cables for charging? Seems induction coils can be used/installed anywhere. I have one in the dash of my '88 Suburban.

It's not just charging. Lightning is stuck at USB 2.0 speeds which is still faster than AirDrop or WiFi. Folks that shoot 4K video (much less ProRes) or folks like me that move a lot of music or movies have wanted at least USB 3.0 speeds for the last 10 years. It seems like this year the Pro models will at least get Thunderbolt 3/USB 4 data transfer speeds which is a long time coming.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have done this five years ago.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Every other charger in my house is USB-C. This is a welcome change for us, even though most of us use air chargers anyway.

I have a sweet little 3-in-1 unit on my nightstand that does my phone, my watch, and my headphones.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just another case of politicians sticking their noses where it does not belong.

In general, it stifles innovation.

Some dumb fk telling a company they are better at engineering than the engineers.

Let the market decide.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I went to Qi wireless charging, even though I hate most things that are wireless

I’ve not seen my lightning cable in a while but I think it’s in the glovebox in the car.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
While I think it's an improvement, it's hardly a major improvement in the mobile device world to me.
Must be a slow week in the tech writers business. They are making this like somebody just invented the wheel and all of humanity will make a leap forward.
Hopefully the new phones will have more than this going for them.

Posts: 9539 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post