SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite or most reliable hotel chains?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite or most reliable hotel chains? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Hilton hands down

I’ve been consistently disappointed in Choice and Wyndham properties.

We've been extremely disappointed in Wyndham/La Quinta - all the properties we've stayed in this year have been pretty run-down.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hilton, in particular the Hampton Inn line.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I'm a Bonvoy (Marriott) member. When I travel for business, I stay with them. They are all good. Some properties are a little dated, but they are clean and kept up well.

For personal travel, I generally stay at Wyndham properties. They are hit and miss. My strategy is to look at the Google reviews. Location seems to make a difference - more ghetto areas have crappier properties (and clientele). I went to Huntsville AL a couple of weeks ago to visit the Rocket Center. The Wyndham properties near the Rocket Center had terrible reviews (and the area wasn't the best). I ended up staying about 45 minutes south in a La Quinta which was excellent.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I often travel with my dog so I have been using dog friendly LaQuinta for years. The chain was acquired by Wyndham a couple years ago and although some of the older LaQunitas are shopworn, Wyndham is building some new ones and upgrading the older ones. The last few LaQuintas we stayed in were nearly new.

Absolutely- I’ve never had a bad experience with them, and they are pet-friendly without adding any additional charges.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Marriott and their rewards program

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Marriott is a management company with high standards. I have had good luck at every hotel chain that they manage.

They didn't appear to have much in the way of standards at all with respect to the Sheraton I stayed at many times.

And I was a Bon Voy member for many years. That didn't help either. Marriot told the management of the sheraton I was at to resolve it with me. Sheraton talked to me and refused to resolve it.

I told Marriott they'd refused to resolve it and so Marriott decided to quit talking to me and that was the end of it.

Interesting because my stay at Sheraton in Toronto airport was awesome ( 2 weeks ago). I’ve never had to complain about a Marriott so I can’t speak to their customer service.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hilton. I am Diamond for a long time and working on lifetime Diamond. Outside the US they are the most consistent about honoring status and providing upgrades, lounge access, and other perks.

Mariott. I have been Gold for a Decade due to complimentary status from United Airlines. Overall, they are the same as Hilton for the same level in the chain. JW is great, kind of in between Hilton and Conrad.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Hilton, in particular the Hampton Inn line.

Not so much lately but in my bigger business travel days (8ish a month), I was a Hampton guy when I could. Another good one is Hyatt Place.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We haven't done any travelling in a couple years, but we always stayed at Hampton Inns where possible.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
We have used IHG for almost all of our business and leisure traveling for years. We mainly stay at Holliday Inn Express, but have used the other IHG affiliates when they weren’t available. So far, we are happy customers.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Michigan:
Marriott.

Sign up for their points program, BonVoy (I know, stupid name) and get free stays. We do.

Yep, have their credit card too

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Hilton as a brand. I ihave been Diamond longer that I care to admit...

Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn for budget stays.

Marriott is good too but once you have status at one, it is tough to go to the other...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hilton, Marriott and IHG depending on location and visit purpose.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Marriott is a management company with high standards. I have had good luck at every hotel chain that they manage.

They didn't appear to have much in the way of standards at all with respect to the Sheraton I stayed at many times.

And I was a Bon Voy member for many years. That didn't help either. Marriot told the management of the sheraton I was at to resolve it with me. Sheraton talked to me and refused to resolve it.

I told Marriott they'd refused to resolve it and so Marriott decided to quit talking to me and that was the end of it.

Interesting because my stay at Sheraton in Toronto airport was awesome ( 2 weeks ago). I’ve never had to complain about a Marriott so I can’t speak to their customer service.

A small update here. They sold that particular Sheraton around a year ago. I guess they found that it couldn't be fixed. It's now owned by the Outrigger chain...and still mismanaged as they kept the same management. I know all this as I had a talk with one of their head Valet guys who had become a friend over the years.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Family used to own a Best Western franchaise and stayed at those exclusively because of deeply discounted fellow owner rates. Now the bottom tier ones I avoid; middle tier are usually fine and never tried top tier.

Look at Rocket Miles if you don't want to be tied to one chain's frequency program.

quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
We've had good luck with Drury Inn.

The only time I ever stayed in one was midweek nearly 20 years in the Missouri bootheel. After completing the check in process, the front desk lady handed my wife and I three free drink coupons each for "Happy Hour" which ended at 7:00. It was after 6:30. We dumped our bags in our room and hurried to the bar. Bartender said, "It's almost seven, do you want all three of your drinks now?" We said, 'sure" and took a tray full to our table.

Never had a chance to stay at another but certainly wanted to. I'd be surprised if they still do that.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I haven't had good experiences w/ Marriot but do stay at Courtyards.

I'm partial to Hyatt but they aren't always in destination locations. Next is Hilton family.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I average 50-60 hotel nights per year for the last 10 years (mainly work related but some personal use too).

Mariott by far for me, Hilton comes in 2nd place.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
+1 for Hiltons, then switching to Marriott, and avoiding Sheratons.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post