SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite or most reliable hotel chains?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite or most reliable hotel chains? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I average 2 nights in hotels in the summer months and it’s always an adventure. Most are ok to good, I had to bail once or twice as they were not at all as advertised.

Realizing most are only as good as the individual management teams or franchisees but some do better as a whole.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Residence Inn has always been good for me.

I stayed in the Sheraton a couple of weeks a year every year for around 20 years.

Then they decided it was too much work to actually do a little something extra and give me the type of room I reserved almost a year in advance, so I dumped them after they did it 3 years in a row and in a conference with me essentially told me it was too much work to give me what I reserved.

Apparently they don't need the $6K I spent there every year.

Now I do VRBO and I get what I want.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We've had good luck with Drury Inn.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years I would seek out Hilton properties, mainly because of Hampton Inn for work. At the time, one of the few value hotels that used comforters instead of foam blankets, had available outlets in functional locations and were clean.

After no traveling in '20-21, I hit the road again this year and Hilton properties seemed to have taken a step-down in their overall quality. Some properties did some capitol improvements but, generally, they all were underwhelming if not disappointing and this was across their properties so, I switched to Marriott.

I usually end up staying at a Courtyard, Fairfield or, Springfield Suites, all are clean, nicely appointed and for what it's worth, a much better TV-system than Hilton. So, now I have a boat-load of Hilton points, and looking at some vacation destinations I can spend them.

Keep in mind, that not all hotel properties are owned by the company on the sign out front, my understanding is about 2/3rds of hotels in the US are owned/operated by a franchisee or, hospitality company, and they only have to meet minimum standards as set by the company they are representing. Location and upkeep is also key, I know Sheraton is listed as an upscale property however, I know several that have seen better days and would be better off getting torn-down and rebuilt.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Marriott.

Sign up for their points program, BonVoy (I know, stupid name) and get free stays. We do.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Marriott brands - in Particular ResInn.

Sheraton seems to have a chip on their shoulder after takeover by Marriott - never receive a warm welcome or perks due to my status - if not for the Marriott-points to earn I would not even bother with Sheraton these days.............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Marriott brands or Hilton Brands. Both have been great in the west coast states.

Least Favorite that I sometimes end up at: Holiday inn, however they seem to be improving.

Motel-6: Dropped them years ago after I was scared to death at their I-5 Redding Motel.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I spend much more time in hotel beds than my own bed. I stick with IHG Brand (Holiday Inn) and Hilton. Hilton Garden Inns are consistently good. Sometimes you can get good pricing on Residence Inn or Staybridge suites. Both have great rewards programs also. Make sure you sign up for the loyalty programs! Status matters, I just spent 10 days at Hilton Taipei Taiwan and they treated me like a king.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Michigan:
Marriott.

Sign up for their points program, BonVoy (I know, stupid name) and get free stays. We do.

2nd this
Our company has had our annual Christmas party at the JW in downtown Houston, quite nice.
Wife & I stayed at the Marquis for our anniversary this summer, I'd put it a bit above the JW, but was pricey.

Traveling for work, Hilton Garden Inn is usually a safe bet.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Michigan:
Marriott.

2nd this

3rd this.

I was a Hilton fan for years until I saw the same drop in quality mentioned previously. Switched over to Marriotts since ‘21 and have been very happy. 22+ nights for work in the last 15 months and have yet to have a bad experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I am an IHG member but probably don’t stay enough to matter.

Thanks! Marriot will be my next try.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Marriott is a management company with high standards. I have had good luck at every hotel chain that they manage.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Marriott is a management company with high standards. I have had good luck at every hotel chain that they manage.

They didn't appear to have much in the way of standards at all with respect to the Sheraton I stayed at many times.

And I was a Bon Voy member for many years. That didn't help either. Marriot told the management of the sheraton I was at to resolve it with me. Sheraton talked to me and refused to resolve it.

I told Marriott they'd refused to resolve it and so Marriott decided to quit talking to me and that was the end of it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I often travel with my dog so I have been using dog friendly LaQuinta for years. The chain was acquired by Wyndham a couple years ago and although some of the older LaQunitas are shopworn, Wyndham is building some new ones and upgrading the older ones. The last few LaQuintas we stayed in were nearly new.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'll pretty much stay at any of them as long as their doors open into a hallway and not directly outside. While we mostly think of the direct to exterior openings as motels, I have seen hotels open directly outside. When I had my pit and boxer, it was fine by me but the pit has passed on.

We liked Red Roof Inn (mostly) when we were traveling with multiple dogs.

I like Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn (though they seem hit or miss these days), Hampton Inn and (though my experience has only been at 2 different locations) Comfort Inn. I stayed at the Best Western in Gulfport, MS and it was quite nice.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I average 2 nights in hotels in the summer months and it’s always an adventure. Most are ok to good, I had to bail once or twice as they were not at all as advertised.

Realizing most are only as good as the individual management teams or franchisees but some do better as a whole.

After retiring from the Army I went in to the private contracting world. 10 years on the road and hundreds of different hotels.

The best hotel company/establishment has been Wyndham by Wingate Hotels. Zero issues with management, customer service, cleanliness, or staff.

I stayed at the Wyndham in Aberdeen MD for roughly 3 years while on a job. Other than asshole guesses, the hotel was awesome.

One of the plus sides to hotel living has been the points. My wife and I just used the last of our hotel points this last year for vacation. 2 vacations a year, zero money out of pocket for the rooms, for the last 8 years. We stayed in some really nice hotels too. The Dream in NYC was one of the nicest places I’ve ever stayed. We would have never been able for afford the cost of the room out of pocket.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an old road warrior. I have spent an average of 150 nites a year in hotels since 1980. Thats a lot of nights. While I have stayed at almost all of the major brands for the last 15 years its been all Hilton/Hampton.

I am semi retired now but still will hit 100 nites this year. I have used and gifted nights from the award program all over the world.

Love Hilton.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I've had my best stays at Hilton and Marriott properties.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites are a decent step up from the motel lodge places. Especially if you find a new or newly remodeled one. On par with a Hampton. They seem to have lots of locations and also serve the less populous areas. The points program is simple and easy. The rates are generally very competitive.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 330 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Hilton hands down

I’ve been consistently disappointed in Choice and Wydham properties.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post