SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eye appointments & dilation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye appointments & dilation Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I detest this. It always takes me nearly 48 hours to get over having my eyes dilated. So I’m effectively blind right now, and will still be having blurry vision (more so than usual) tomorrow. I sorely miss the decades of perfect vision I had....

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
When I get my annual eye exam I pay $20 extra and they take pictures and don't have to dilate. Worth it to me and the doc says it's more accurate.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell them to take it easy on the drops. I make sure I get the reversal drops, it helps a lot. They took the best stuff off the market, but most docs have pilocarpine available which does help.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Suck it up, buttercup! Smile

48 hours is a little long; typically 4 hours is the duration. Are you sure they’re not using a stronger dilating agent?

Even with advanced technology, IMNSHO nothing beats a dilated retinal view.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I pay an extra fee to have the exam without dilation and well worth it for me.
In seeing the pictures, though, I am curious how anything could be better.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I just had my eye exam this afternoon as well. But they do everything including taking the pictures and dilating the eyes and doing a manual investigation plus they do the peripheral vision test every time now and then they've got a check the eyeball pressure using the numbing drops.

From the time they called my name to the time I left to was probably 2 hours total

I only seem to take 6 or 8 hours to get over the dial a tion drops

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just had cataract surgery in both eyes done. The first one two weeks ago and the second one yesterday. So over the last month between exams and surgery I've been dilated probably a dozen times.

After the initial exams I was able to drive myself home. After surgery I had to be driven home because I was also mildly sedated. Don't know what my doc uses for drops but the dilation didn't seem that bad. When I got home from surgery and looked in the mirror my pupil was so big it looked like a shark eye!

Man what a difference though!! After one day after surgery I can read the lap top without glasses if I want. Glasses still help but my vision will improve even more in the coming weeks.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
My eye Dr started using the Optomap digital system a few years ago, allowing me to forgo the dilated eyes issue. I really like the fact she has a digital image to compare with the previous years images.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate it too as it takes me about 3 days to get over the dilation. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is some debate as to whether the Optomap is superior to dilated exam. You can bet if the eye doc has the machine he is going to use it. Here is the business side:

ACTION POINTS
CALCULATE BREAK-EVEN POINT: You will need to see 38 patients per month to meet your monthly lease payment.

CALCULATE ROI: Costs about $85,000 and can generate over $9,000 per month.

EDUCATE PATIENT IN EXAM ROOM. Explain why you’re taking the pictures, and e-mail images to the patient.

Retinal imaging technology is an investment that will pay off for both you and your patients. My practice, which uses Optos Daytona, has found the level of care we provide to patients enhanced, along with an increase in our revenues. Optos uses a scanning laser system to get a clearer, wider picture of the the retina, offering us incredibly in-depth images. With the instrument’s auto-luminance screening, you can see hemorrhaging and even more of the retina than a straight retinal camera can provide.

ROB BOTTOM LINE:
OPTOS RETINAL IMAGING CAMERA
Full Purchase Price: About $85,000

Leased: Approximately $1,700 per month with dollar buyout

Billed: $45 per image

Break-Even Point: 38 patients per month

Revenues: More than $9,000 per month on average

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I detest this. It always takes me nearly 48 hours to get over having my eyes dilated. So I’m effectively blind right now, and will still be having blurry vision (more so than usual) tomorrow. I sorely miss the decades of perfect vision I had....

Better temporary blindness than permanent. Btw, shouldn't this be in the What's Your Deal? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Better temporary blindness than permanent. Btw, shouldn't this be in the What's Your Deal? Big Grin

Told you I couldn’t see! Smile

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
30 years old, had glasses since first grade, and ive never had my eyes dilated. My sister did once, and said it was weird. As a kid, i was jealous she got to do something i didnt get to do. Now, im not so jealous Big Grin. Heres to hoping you Recover soon!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
If any irregularities are noticed with the enhanced digital exams, they may still dialate.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I just had cataract surgery in both eyes done. The first one two weeks ago and the second one yesterday. So over the last month between exams and surgery I've been dilated probably a dozen times.

After the initial exams I was able to drive myself home. After surgery I had to be driven home because I was also mildly sedated. Don't know what my doc uses for drops but the dilation didn't seem that bad. When I got home from surgery and looked in the mirror my pupil was so big it looked like a shark eye!

Man what a difference though!! After one day after surgery I can read the lap top without glasses if I want. Glasses still help but my vision will improve even more in the coming weeks.

I've had the same experience... dilation made zero difference to me after the surgery. I also noticed family pictures that I had not seen. Congrats on the excellent outcome! I was thrilled with mine. Dilation is a really big deal to some folks and it is a really big deal. My wife is one. She doesn't handle it well.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I don't understand. You are paying for something NOT to be done?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I don't understand. You are paying for something NOT to be done?

I do this also. You are paying a little extra for them to use a special device that can do the scan without the need for dilation.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 48 hours is way too long.

I've been having to go to my optometrist every 3-4 months to monitor an issue with one of my eyes. Every trip is a dilation.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I went in to get a new prescription for glasses. The technician kept harping about dilation. My only thought was that it was to increase the size of the bill. The bill was $75 for a less than 5 minute exercise. Wife AKA financial wizard tells me that our insurance will pay for it.

So, totaled up, those new glasses will cost me over $350. Don't know how much of that will be covered by insurance. Not my area of expertise anymore.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The OP said it well. I hate going to any doctor. They don't seem a bit concerned with my comfort. I tell my wife to not make any more appointments for me. But I give in and go and then hate it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post