SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm a Floridian!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm a Floridian! Login/Join 
Lost, but making
good time
posted
Mrs Blindref retired early so it was time to make the move from Pennsylvania to Florida to be close to our son and his family. Her Nana clock has been ticking hard so we moved 20 minutes away from them to be close to our 6 year old granddaughter, and 4 year old twin grandsons. It's pretty awesome to be treated like a rock star when they see me. They actually like me.

We moved to St Augustine and are about 30 minutes from the beaches. The weather has been perfect, but I know we are in for hot and humid starting in a few weeks.

We are also about 15 minutes away from Top Gun Supply St Augustine. It's been a while since I ordered from them having worked at a gun shop and range in PA and being able to get what I needed through work. I'm looking forward to stopping in their store and checking it out. Sooner or later I need to get a job so maybe Tom and Michelle are hiring??

Florida government is much more efficient than PA. It only took 55 minutes to get my drivers license, register my truck, register to vote, and get my LTCF. The people down here are also much more friendly and helpful. Go to Home Depot and usually no less than 3 or 4 employees ask you if you need help, when in PA their motto seems to be "don't make eye contact".

Life has been crazy and busy these last few years. Moving from a house you've lived in for almost 35 years isn't easy. Especially when your significant other can't throw stuff away, but we're finally settled in and have some time to enjoy life for a minute.

Hopefully I'll also have the opportunity to spend more time here again on the Forum.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you decided on an alligator load for your favorite CC yet? Cool

Congratulations! I want Texas, but haven't convinced my SO yet.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Florida.

Yes the state government is way more efficient. I learned that when we moved here from New Jersey almost 25 years ago and we are a lot more friendly to the 2nd amendment.

When we moved I was amazed at how much stuff we accumulated when we live in New Jersey and how much we donated after we got here to get rid of it.

Yes it is going to get very hot in the next few months however one thing you need to be prepared for is Hurricane season.
Starts in June and runs till the end of November. Just make sure you are not scrambling at the last minute for supplies. Our first big hurricane back in 2004 caught me a little off guard.
P.S. it is not just during hurricane season we can get bad storms so always keep an eye on the weather.

Try to be as prepaid as possible in the beginning of the season, it creates a lot less stress if and when a hurricane is coming.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, sounds like a great move, a good life-changing decision.
quote:
Originally posted by blindref
Life has been crazy and busy these last few years. Moving from a house you've lived in for almost 35 years isn't easy.

Yes, when we moved from CA to TX 7 years ago, it was perhaps the most difficult project we ever took on. State to state ain't easy. But worth every minute.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
My folks are there 1/2 time, have been for about 30 years, but haven’t experienced the speed of the government..
Glad you’re loving it!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5325 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing better than spoiling the grandkids.
Enjoy!

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the move! St. Augustine is a really nice place to retire. My wife & I visited there 2 October dates in a row. We were never without something new to do or explore! Being northeners, (NH) the weather was perfect for us! We stayed at a place at St, Augustine Beach. Hope you enjoy retirement!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
St Augustine is nice. We are down in Ormond Beach. You would have to put a gun to my head to convince me me move back north.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
and get my LTCF.

Sucks about the long-term care facility, but welcome to Florida besides that. Have you looked into getting a concealed weapons license (CWL)?

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Glad to have you here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
and get my LTCF.

Sucks about the long-term care facility, but welcome to Florida besides that. Have you looked into getting a concealed weapons license (CWL)?

Big Grin - back in PA it was a License To Carry a Firearm.
Lots of new terminology I need to learn. Yes Sir, I got my CWL all in one shot.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome! we are up in Orange Park, approx. 20 miles from you. Don't worry about the heat and humidity, you'll get used to it. Here's a short list of things to get:
Generator (with extended fuel tank) to keep the refer, lights and comms up. recommend Honda eu2200i.
Gas cans (at least 6) 5 gallon size
Propane tanks for the grill and emergency cooking
Several 20x30 tarps
if you have trees get a chain saw
a couple of spare small box fans
a good yard guy, your yard will get away from you quickly.
a plat map of your local area to see where the water accumulates. its not unusual to get 20+ inches of rain in a few days time.
a couple of sturdy garden hoses, the sun will kill a normal hose in 1 or 2 seasons.
Do not use ethanol gas in your equipment use ethanol free (marine grade). also use stabil in all the small gas engines.

If you have any questions just post up there are multiple sigforum members in this area, I would be happy to help .

ETA: learn and bookmark Weather.gov keep it on your phone and desktop get into the habit of checking it daily to learn the local weather patterns.
also you are just minutes away from Greg Cote LLC. so magazines arrive quickly! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ltz400,

Posts: 196 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Congratutlations on the move, and welcome to the South!

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the move from the cold north to the wet heat... And just remember grandparents duties include spoiling the grand kids and filling them up with plenty of sugar items before sending them home to their parents..................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Welcome from Central Florida!

St. Augustine area is beautiful.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see our members moving to Florida. Welcome.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

You are really going to miss digging out from these PA winters right…LOL

We were in Orlando last February and it was just so disorienting to step outside and it’s 89° as I walked to the pool, back home it’s 3 feet of snow and 20°.

I’m sure you’ll get used to it!

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Paradise. The weather is generally wonderful, but was a little chilly this winter.

We have about a month of Spring, then our Summer which generally lasts till around the 1st part of December.

If you like warm, you'll love it here and, IMO, there's just nothing better than coming in from outside in the Summer and feeling the cool A/C in your house. A cold Sweet Tea (you may prefer something stronger) and, later, burgers or hot dogs on the grill (maybe air fryer if you prefer). That's what we did yesterday.

I hope you love this place as much as we do.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
During hurricane season, stock up
Water
Beer
Generator
Bring in the window screens
Chainsaw
Food
Batteries
Gasoline
Propane

You can cut plywood and paint it for the windows and it’s a once time payment. Bring in the screens so they don’t get damaged, after the storm moves off you will be able to keep the skeeters out.

Power usually isn’t out for more than a week at most

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I’d like to be a snowbird. We usually visit St Augustine when we go to Daytona in October.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post