SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    can your dog climb trees ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can your dog climb trees ? Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/heal...-definitely-not-cat/

A dog that found itself in an unusual situation got some much needed help from emergency crews on Wednesday.

“Well, definitely not a cat in a tree,” Idaho’s Caldwell Fire Department wrote in a social media post accompanied by photos of the canine looking down from its perch.

The department said firefighters and police officers responded to a call about a dog trapped in the branches of a tree and “After much coaxing, the canine was brought safely to the ground.”

“Perhaps, he will not be so persistent, next time, in chasing squirrels,”

One social media user who appeared to be the dog’s owner explained in the comments his name is Izzy and he is a mix of pit bull and husky.

“He was the runt of the litter. He did not learn his lesson. He’s been whining all morning trying to get out and get that squirrel,” she wrote.

Posts: 19605 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
That’s a dedicated dog. He got a long way up that tree.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
In looking for information about gray fox running speed, I found a video of gray foxes climbing right up the sides of large trees with just bark and no branches. Many just run right up climbing like a squirrel. I didnt know fox can climb.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a female pit that on command could run up a straight sided oak and pluck a deflated soccer ball off of a nail at about 8 feet. I watched her father do the same to almost 10 feet and latch on to a branch and keep pulling at it until it broke off. Then there’s the Michael Jordan of dogs, the malinois. They are simply amazing.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15624 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a preteen through teenager, my family had a German Shorthair Pointer who was the most hyper-energetic doc I've ever owned.

For one, she had a standing vertical jump of 6+ feet. She could stand flat-footed next to our 6 foot tall wooden privacy fence, leap straight up, and her feet would be above the level of the top of the fence. She did this frequently, though she never tried to jump over the fence... She was content to just pogo behind the fence in order to see what was happening on the other side of it.

Now, that wooden privacy fence made up two sides of her enclosure, which took up about 1/3 of our rather large backyard. The other two sides of the enclosure were mostly chain link fencing, but my dad had also incorporated the back of his ~8-9 foot tall wooden garden shed he had built, so the back of that shed made up a portion of the "fencing" at the north central portion of her enclosure.

This crazy dog would frequently get wound up and run her "racetrack", which involved running in an oval circuit (like a NASCAR track) as fast as she could from one end of her enclosure to the other. And just like NASCAR, it was always in the same counter-clockwise direction. As she picked up speed and reached the top of her circuit at the northern end of her enclosure, she'd leap and bounce off the back of the garden shed. With each lap, she'd gain speed, and leap a little higher off the back of the shed. Then once she had started reaching a few feet up the shed on each lap, she'd start scrabbling against the back of the shed to gain even more height. So she'd eventually reach a point where she was running 6-8 feet up and back down the back of the garden shed in an arc on each lap, and thus had expanded her "racetrack circuit" by that distance by adding vertical travel in addition to the ground distance inside her enclosure.

So if any of my dogs could climb a tree, it would have been her. You'd just have to plant that tree at one end of her enclosure, and she'd have incorporated the trunk into her crazy racetrack, and inevitably ended up at the top of that tree at some point.

(Amazingly, despite being easily able to do so whenever she wanted, she never - not once - escaped her enclosure. Not even the shorter 3'-4' chain link portion.)

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's common for gray foxes to climb trees.

Not my dog, but I have two friends that their dogs climb trees. One is a rat terrier mix. The other is a Jack Russell.

Both will get way ul there, and they both are going after Squirrels.

ARman

Posts: 3156 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Used to be able to bound up into the crotch of a tree, every bit of 8’ up. Climb a ladder, perch on the top edge of a wooden barrier wall, and low crawl through a 24” pipe. She’s 10 now and we don’t ask those sorts of things of her now.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post