SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home golf simulator questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home golf simulator questions Login/Join 
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Just poking fun at you golfers...
but I was in a 2 day Church Safety seminar a few years back and the guy speaking on day two made the comment that a golf course is a waste of a good rifle range..... his point being instead of playing golf you guys should be out practicing your shooting...

so, how about a good shooting simulation bay in the barn or even a real one?

My neighbor has a nice shooting range with a berm and steel plates. And he likes golf, so we have a mutually beneficial arrangement

Posts: 4454 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
For the golf simulator, I am leaning toward the Uneekor Eye XO
Has anyone had experience with this simulator?

I haven't seen the Uneekor in my neck of the woods.

A buddy has a budget-conscious garage simulator based on the Garmin R10. It works fairly well, using E6 Connect as the software. I don't think Garmin is all that accurate with ball spin -- it under estimates both back and side spin.

The nearby PGA Superstore started with Foresight GC2 monitors in the public bays, with the additional units to measure spin in the fitting bays. These worked pretty well, and had only a few mis-reads. They later picked up a couple of GC Quads for the custom fitting bays. The GC Quad is very accurate. With the dots on the club face, it measures strike location and club path very accurately.

Not all that long ago, PGA Superstore upgraded all the public hitting bays to GCHawk overhead units, and installed TrackMan in the 3 custom fitting bays. GCHawk is great for bouncing between right and left handed players -- the weakness with GC2 and GC Quad. The GCHawk doesn't do as good of job picking up club face dots like the GC Quad, and thus the club metrics aren't as good for the overhead units. But GCHawk has virtually no mis-reads. They use FSX2020 software -- maybe not the highest graphics quality, but it's fast and plays well.

I've been on TrackMan less often than Foresight's systems. A bigger room is necessary for TrackMan, and it's best to use ProV1 RCT balls to accurately pick up spin. Trackman does have some delay in showing ball flight -- it's not instantaneous like Foresight and FXS2020. Trackman doesn't always pick up strike location on the club face, both for woods and irons. Earlier this week I was fitted for new irons with Trackman, and it caught strike locations on the 7-iron faces quite intermittently. The fitter often had to rely on my feedback of where the strikes occurred. PGA has big bays for the custom fitting and there were hardly any mis-reads with ball spin.

Get a good mat and be prepared to replace/move/rotate it. I have a definite downward attack angle, and thus worn-out mats punish my wrists and middle & ring fingers. If you have a shallow/sweeper attack angle this isn't so critical.

Don't scrimp on the projection screen. Go for durability over uber-high resolution. Your ball impacts will stretch and dent the screen, causing the impact area to sag. Understand that beefier screens will also wear out the ball's cover faster. Between my tendency to shave the ball cover with short irons and the projection screen, my ProV1s look pretty trashed after 6-8 sim rounds.

Posts: 7879 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I was in a 2 day Church Safety seminar a few years back and the guy speaking on day two made the comment that a golf course is a waste of a good rifle range..... his point being instead of playing golf you guys should be out practicing your shooting...

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of land planning knows that in order for a golf course to survive financially, it must be in an urban, suburban, or resort area. Outdoor rifle ranges -- especially those with targets distances of many hundreds of yards -- don't fly in urban/suburban/resort areas. Rifle ranges are almost always in rural areas -- locations which are very difficult for golf courses to be viable.

My shooting instructors have consistently noted that practice is nice for fundamentals, but shooting competitions are where one really understands his opportunities to improve. Matches put us outside our comfort zones, reveal our weaknesses, and present how other shooters address challenges.

so, how do you compete with firearms?

Posts: 7879 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guy I knew in Vegas worked for a company that manufactured self contained shooting ranges. Bullets were captured by channelling them into a collection container. The larger problem as I remember it was controlling air quality.
They were well thought out set ups but NOT cheap. The engineering on the bullet containment was kind of cool.
Their primary market was for LEO departments.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
For the golf simulator, I am leaning toward the Uneekor Eye XO
Has anyone had experience with this simulator?

I haven't seen the Uneekor in my neck of the woods.

A buddy has a budget-conscious garage simulator based on the Garmin R10. It works fairly well, using E6 Connect as the software. I don't think Garmin is all that accurate with ball spin -- it under estimates both back and side spin.

The nearby PGA Superstore started with Foresight GC2 monitors in the public bays, with the additional units to measure spin in the fitting bays. These worked pretty well, and had only a few mis-reads. They later picked up a couple of GC Quads for the custom fitting bays. The GC Quad is very accurate. With the dots on the club face, it measures strike location and club path very accurately.

Not all that long ago, PGA Superstore upgraded all the public hitting bays to GCHawk overhead units, and installed TrackMan in the 3 custom fitting bays. GCHawk is great for bouncing between right and left handed players -- the weakness with GC2 and GC Quad. The GCHawk doesn't do as good of job picking up club face dots like the GC Quad, and thus the club metrics aren't as good for the overhead units. But GCHawk has virtually no mis-reads. They use FSX2020 software -- maybe not the highest graphics quality, but it's fast and plays well.

I've been on TrackMan less often than Foresight's systems. A bigger room is necessary for TrackMan, and it's best to use ProV1 RCT balls to accurately pick up spin. Trackman does have some delay in showing ball flight -- it's not instantaneous like Foresight and FXS2020. Trackman doesn't always pick up strike location on the club face, both for woods and irons. Earlier this week I was fitted for new irons with Trackman, and it caught strike locations on the 7-iron faces quite intermittently. The fitter often had to rely on my feedback of where the strikes occurred. PGA has big bays for the custom fitting and there were hardly any mis-reads with ball spin.

Get a good mat and be prepared to replace/move/rotate it. I have a definite downward attack angle, and thus worn-out mats punish my wrists and middle & ring fingers. If you have a shallow/sweeper attack angle this isn't so critical.

Don't scrimp on the projection screen. Go for durability over uber-high resolution. Your ball impacts will stretch and dent the screen, causing the impact area to sag. Understand that beefier screens will also wear out the ball's cover faster. Between my tendency to shave the ball cover with short irons and the projection screen, my ProV1s look pretty trashed after 6-8 sim rounds.

Great advice, Fritz! Much appreciated!

Posts: 4454 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Update: The barn is pretty much done. Just waiting on the grass seeds to sprout. And the simulator room is up and running! This is the Uneekor Eye XO system with TGC2019 software. It's pretty sweet! I need to move the projector a few feet back to maximize the image size though. I drywall finished the walls, insulated with spray foam, and installed a mini split which maintains a constant temperature year round. I appreciate all the advice from everyone here along the way.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty damn nice...Inside AND out! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is top notch.
Congratulations!

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
That looks pretty damn nice...Inside AND out! Cool

Thank you!

Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
That is top notch.
Congratulations!

Thank you!