SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BATFE rules on Forced Reset Triggers (FRT)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BATFE rules on Forced Reset Triggers (FRT) Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I got this info in an email from the ATF the other day. Which threw me because I don’t recall ever giving the ATF my email. Confused

They sent it to all FFLs. Do you have a FFL?

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
Their wording is still wrong if you want to take it literally. "ATF’s position is that any FRT that allows a firearm to automatically expel more than one shot with a single, continuous pull of the trigger is a “machinegun”,". They say nothing about releasing the trigger (which is not a continuous pull of the trigger). So, I would argue that if I keep a "continuous pull" on the trigger it will only fire 1 single round.

I believe you might be conflating forced reset triggers with binary triggers.

With a FRT, you cannot "pin" the trigger to the rear to only fire one round, like you can with a standard trigger or a binary trigger.

This deals with forced reset triggers. With these, the gun fires when the trigger is pulled, then the trigger forces itself forward during cycling. With a FRT, you can pull rearward on the trigger once, maintain that continuous rearward pressure, and empty the magazine as the trigger rapidly mechanically resets and fires despite your constant rearward trigger pressure. ATF's position is that with one continuous rearward pull by the finger but multiple bullets fired, it becomes a machine gun.

You may be envisioning binary triggers, where the finger pulls the trigger back to fire one bullet, and then the finger releases it to fire one bullet again. Those would not be affected here.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm unaware of these. From what I'm understanding from your post, it is a trigger with a really long trigger pull, that as you KEEP pulling it rearward it resets on it's own and fires additional rounds as the trigger is continually moved rearward (as if firing)?

If I'm wrong please correct me, as I have never heard of these.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
Their wording is still wrong if you want to take it literally. "ATF’s position is that any FRT that allows a firearm to automatically expel more than one shot with a single, continuous pull of the trigger is a “machinegun”,". They say nothing about releasing the trigger (which is not a continuous pull of the trigger). So, I would argue that if I keep a "continuous pull" on the trigger it will only fire 1 single round.

I believe you might be conflating forced reset triggers with binary triggers.

With a FRT, you cannot "pin" the trigger to the rear to only fire one round, like you can with a standard trigger or a binary trigger.

This deals with forced reset triggers. With these, the gun fires when the trigger is pulled, then the trigger forces itself forward during cycling. With a FRT, you can pull rearward on the trigger once, maintain that continuous rearward pressure, and empty the magazine as the trigger rapidly mechanically resets and fires despite your constant rearward trigger pressure. ATF's position is that with one continuous rearward pull by the finger but multiple bullets fired, it becomes a machine gun.

You may be envisioning binary triggers, where the finger pulls the trigger back to fire one bullet, and then the finger releases it to fire one bullet again. Those would not be affected here.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm unaware of these. From what I'm understanding from your post, it is a trigger with a really long trigger pull, that as you KEEP pulling it rearward it resets on it's own and fires additional rounds as the trigger is continually moved rearward (as if firing)?

If I'm wrong please correct me, as I have never heard of these.

Kevin

Think bump trigger. As the gun cycles it forces the trigger forward and makes contact with your trigger finger causing it to fire another round and so on.

Posts: 7739 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I’m going to pasted for this but I think they might be right on this one. Legally they are wrong because of the definition of machine gun individual trigger pull, but if I apply the intention of the word I come to a different conclusion.

So by strict legalese, it’s not a machine gun. In reality it is, pull the trigger once and it keeps firing. I get that in reality the “forced reset” part is just a bunch of pulls strung together but I think that’s a reach. This in reality produces a gun that fires full auto-ish with no loss of control or accuracy. In any arena besides the legal one, this is a machine gun. If a German in a trench in Verdun was shooting this at you you wouldn’t question it was a machine gun.

I get the defending every hill idea but this is pretty obviously close enough to manufacturing a machine gun as you can get without an auto sear.

If we are arguing that we should fight to make machine guns legal I get that, but this is a loophole that was ingeniously exploited. Not sure what side of that I want to be on.

Fire away. (I might be wrong on this but so far the fuck the atf is the strongest argument so I’m not sure what is correct). (I also know the atf is pushing on braces and they seem way off base there so I understand fighting them on everything)

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
I think with the RB and WOT versions, you cannot keep the trigger depressed. Seems like the mechanism forces the trigger to move forward, and that’s what resets it. I am curious if one can even hold the trigger back firmly enough to defeat the forced reset?

If you hold the trigger back on the WOT trigger it will hold the bolt back until you release it. It looks like the last round bolt hold open has been engaged.

I'm pretty sure the RB is the same way from the videos I've seen.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
I think with the RB and WOT versions, you cannot keep the trigger depressed. Seems like the mechanism forces the trigger to move forward, and that’s what resets it. I am curious if one can even hold the trigger back firmly enough to defeat the forced reset?
Yep. Pulling the trigger all the way back jams it.

If you hold the trigger back on the WOT trigger it will hold the bolt back until you release it. It looks like the last round bolt hold open has been engaged.

I'm pretty sure the RB is the same way from the videos I've seen.

Posts: 7739 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I want ATF to tell me exactly which models of Rare Breed Triggers are machineguns, because, per the Open Letter:

quote:
... “forced reset triggers” (FRTs) and has determined that some of them are “firearms” and “machineguns” ...

Which one(s)? "Some" is not a model designation for any Rare Breed Trigger I am aware of, thus this letter is impossible to comply with, save for having never possessed one.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31986 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Is the trigger reset forced or assisted?

Since no one gave an answer I'm going to assume if the trigger forces a reset no matter how hard the trigger is pulled then it's no different than a fully auto mechanism. If it's assisted and the shooting stops with enough pull weight then the ATF can piss right off.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy had one. It was fun to shoot but didn't run real well until he upgraded his buffer tube. It was fun to shoot, but I like the control better with the Franklin, which is what I decide on. The select fire is a bonus.

https://freedomgear.org/produc...-kit-ships-for-free/

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 30, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen you tube videos of folks using a rubber band attempting to do the same thing. Damn rubber bands are evil now. Geez...

Posts: 392 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harleyman1974:
My buddy had one. It was fun to shoot but didn't run real well until he upgraded his buffer tube. It was fun to shoot, but I like the control better with the Franklin, which is what I decide on. The select fire is a bonus.

ATF honeypots popping up all over the internet in the gun circles and you bump a thread telling where to buy a forced reset trigger when ATF is going door to door saying "we know you bought one" in a thread that hasn't been posted in for five months for your first post.

Now, I'm not saying you're glowing, but this is rather ardent support for buying a forced reset trigger. Smile

Hey guys? You know how we got, like, scammers in the Classifieds? If you're gonna buy a forced reset trigger, maybe don't go to Brand New Guy's link to do it lol.

Posts: 17614 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Walks like one. Quacks like one.

Q

Posts: 27498 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

ATF honeypots popping up all over the internet in the gun circles and you bump a thread telling where to buy a forced reset trigger when ATF is going door to door saying "we know you bought one" in a thread that hasn't been posted in for five months for your first post.

Now, I'm not saying you're glowing, but this is rather ardent support for buying a forced reset trigger. Smile

Hey guys? You know how we got, like, scammers in the Classifieds? If you're gonna buy a forced reset trigger, maybe don't go to Brand New Guy's link to do it lol.

Maybe he can tell us where to get some short barreled shotguns, without all the messy paperwork?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17084 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I know I’m going to pasted for this but I think they might be right on this one....

I tend to agree. If I saw the posted video without context, the weapon behaved like a machinegun. Push the envelope far enough and the envelope tears.

FWIW, I own braced ARs so I do appreciate pushing the limits.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:

but didn't run real well until he upgraded his buffer tube.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
harleyman, speak up

Posts: 109016 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I know I’m going to pasted for this but I think they might be right on this one.
Legally they are wrong because of the definition of machine gun individual trigger pull , but if I apply the intention of the word I come to a different conclusion.

So by strict legalese, it’s not a machine gun. In reality .......

It is legal or not.
When we apply our feeling and interpretations over the law then that is wrong and clearly what the criminal division of the ATF has done.
This is what liberal judges do to promote their agenda.

This is done to intimidate us not apply the law.

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Didn’t we rule against the ATF awhile back?

Posts: 53777 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Technically, now every gun shooter has a machine gun, many people have 2. ATF is now saying your finger has to release & then pull, or you have a machine gun. If I do it right, the 2nd shot fires without my finger completely releasing the trigger.

At least it's not the middle finger, or I'd be in jail for brandishing often. Here's 2 for the ATF cocksuckers.

*ETA - now I see the thread is old & suspiciously bumped. Is there anything to this or did it go away?

Posts: 3325 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post