SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2023 GMC truck opinions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 GMC truck opinions? Login/Join 
posted
I might start truck shopping in a few days. Looking for opinions on a 2023 1500 GMC with a 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. I'm not worried about gas mileage, so other than that is there anything else wrong with this truck/engine? I don't really tow anything anymore, so I'm not to concerned about that either (but the truck dies have a tow package)

Thanks

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
All I got is the new GMC is just too handsome. It is indeed one beautiful truck.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
After this 2015 Suburban I doubt I will ever buy a non Toyota ever again.
I have been a Chevy and Ford Guy for a long time and love them, minus this 2015 Suburban which has been the worst vehicle I have owned by a long shot.
After 2 Chevy trucks and 2 Ford trucks and now a Tundra Tundras are the way to go.
3 Toyotas total now and life is so much easier on repairs since they are very few and far between.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I think GMC makes some of the best looking trucks now. My SIL bought a new 2021 1500 Elevation 4x4 with the 5.3 V8, 10-speed, and now at 2 1/2 years hasn't had any problems with it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I don't drive a pickup, but...

You (or anyone 'in the market for a New to newer 3/4-1 ton' Pickup) should definitely look at/test drive the Dodge Ram before you purchase! Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8893 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've run into quite a few YouTube videos on the 5.3 and it's had some minor issues.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have been a Chevy and Ford Guy for a long time and love them, minus this 2015 Suburban which has been the worst vehicle I have owned by a long shot.
After 2 Chevy trucks and 2 Ford trucks and now a Tundra Tundras are the way to go.
3 Toyotas total now and life is so much easier on repairs since they are very few and far between.
You have one of the real Tundras. Owners are keeping those trucks. Not sure what I think of the new models. The new GMC is a looker.

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:

Torque converter issues?

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
You have one of the real Tundras. Owners are keeping those trucks. Not sure what I think of the new models. The new GMC is a looker.

Father in Law has a 2022 Tundra 1794 Edition with every option possible.
It’s a really nice truck. Not as good looking as mine, and the front seats slightly less comfortable since it has cooled seats but a super nice truck.
I prefer a far less outfitted one while I far prefer the 5.7, I’ll take Toyota V6TT over the GM 5.3 any day of the week.
Though I am pretty sure that GM has gotten rid of the Active Fuel Management/Cylinder deactivation garbage which is a huge step in the right direction.

————————————————

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The GMC looks significantly better than the Silverado.
Our CEO has a AT4 Duramax, maybe 2 years old, very comfortable truck on the highway.

I'd probably still lean a bit more on the F150, I'd I were shopping new full size trucks.
GMC would probably be my #2
My boss' Ram is a nice truck as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:

Torque converter issues?

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!
Not yet and have the thermal bypass to install whenever it is not balls cold to hopefully keep this tranny alive for 2 more years.

However, I have done 3 seat heaters, A/C compressor, condenser, all 4 corners of the Magnaride suspension, rear wiper motor, water pump, TC case is loud when in 4x4 auto and have to change the fluid every 5k to get it to shut up, 2 shark fin antennas, windshield replaced due to the factory seal going bad.
And the damn thing does not even have 100k miles.

I deactivated the Active Fuel Managment System the week after we bought it.

————————————————

Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
We recently purchased a 2023 Yukon XL with the 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Replaced a 2021 Toyota Highlander. We needed more space for traveling. Great truck so far with a few thousand miles. Solid 21 miles per gallon/highway which is much better than my 2016 Toyota 4Runner. Awesome looking SUV and great ride on the highway.
The 5.3 engines had significant engine (valve lifter) issues in 2021. It seems they fixed it and have not heard of problems with the 2023 models.
Will be glad to answer any particular questions you have

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sauer Kraut,

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
My neighbor seems to think the management system might be the problem with the torque converters. They caught theirs before it took out the tranny, 2017 suburban with 120k miles. My 2014 Sierra not so lucky 151k miles. 2 ac condensers also. Probably my last GM product as well.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
My neighbor seems to think the management system might be the problem with the torque converters. They caught theirs before it took out the tranny, 2017 suburban with 120k miles. My 2014 Sierra not so lucky 151k miles. 2 ac condensers also. Probably my last GM product as well.

The ridiculously high transmission fluid temps don’t help either thanks to the way the factory thermal bypass works. I bought this $40 20 minute install kit and folks are seeing 25-40 degree drops in transmission temps.

WIT WHATEVER IT TAKES TRANSMISSION PARTS, INC 6L80 6L90 8L90 Sure Cool System Upgrade STL010 https://a.co/d/ctc0hVI

Going to swap the filter and tranny fluid here soon here, hence the reason I asked about the fluid extractor in another thread so I can drain the pan before I drop it since these numbnuts did not put a drain plug on the pan.

We have 93k and I really really want to get 2 more years out of it. We do 15k a year give or take.
Then we will likely get a Grand Highlander. They come out this summer but I prefer to buy used.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I installed the thermal bypass on my 2018 Chevy truck. In warm weather I could see temps around 195 without towing anything. Now, it sits around 175 in the same conditions. If it's in the 70s it rarely gets over 145. I wish that I had known about it sooner.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'll keep buying them until they make me not buy them. I did have AFM/lifter issues with my last one at 190k miles. Traded it in on a Yukon. That had had a torque converter issue but trans was fixed and under warranty.

I don't but them new though. I've driven 6 GM trucks and have gotten very good service from all of them. Kept all til high mileage. 255k on one. 273k on another. I'm comfortable with them... love the way they drive. 145k on my current Yukon. Really enjoy driving it.

Until the engine in the last one it was just random electronics, maybe a water pump or O2 sensor, and one fuel pump.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 Sierra with a 5.3L. It replaced a 2005 Silverado with a 5.3L. I usually get a new truck every 10 years, and unless they really go to hell in the next two years, I'll probably get another GMC.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
In August I traded my 2012 Silverado with the 5.3L in on a 2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 6.6L gas engine. So far, I love it. But I’ve only put 6,999 miles on it. I never had any trouble with my 5.3L, and it had around 160K miles on it.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad has started having a rough idle, lifters, on his 12 Denali XL [Suburban]
He's already pulling the parts together for an AFM delete & it'll get a mild cam upgrade while it's apart.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Our 2017 Suburban had the AC Condenser go out at 61,000, just past the extended coverage on that and the tranny left the chat around 90,000 miles. $5,500 to rebuild the tranny with all the upgrades and a billet torque convertor. I started running a Range AFM disabler but we traded it before the AFM could explode the engine or the rebuilt tranny went out of warranty. Other than a deer setting off the side airbags and doing 5 figures of damage in its first year, my mother in law backing into it and me backing into our garage door with it, we had no problems and it was a good rig.

The 2022 Z71 Suburban we traded it for is at 3,000 miles and is a huge upgrade, now that we learned and came to terms with what the Infotainment can and can't do.

I still want a GMT800 Suburban to turn into an overlanding rig though. That generation is near bulletproof (except for rusting rockers and quarterpanels) and cheap to fix what isn't.

Posts: 2518 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post