SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2023 GMC truck opinions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 GMC truck opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
If you plan on keeping it for a while, find out if GMC still shoots foam between the outer and inner panels of the truck bed. Every damn GMC and Chevy truck I see now has rusted out just above the wheel well. My 2500HD Sierra is a 2008 and my dads a 2009, but have this problem. It CANNOT be permanently fixed without tearing the entire bed apart and removing the foam. We have been a GMC/Chevy family since I was in diapers 50+ years ago. I'm will be looking hard at alternatives including Ford's aluminum bodies. There is little reason for a vehicle to rust like this with today's coatings and technology.

Personally, since you are only looking at the 5.3L, I would seriously consider a Toyota or maybe even a Nissan. Wish Toyota would introduce a diesel option, but Nissan does or at least use to have a 5.0L diesel option.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I still want a GMT800 Suburban to turn into an overlanding rig though. That generation is near bulletproof (except for rusting rockers and quarterpanels) and cheap to fix what isn't.

My dad sold his 02 Silverado Z71 last year. 348k miles & the original engine. Trans replaced shortly before that, 2nd gear failed.
Former coworker of his has a 00 Tahoe with something like 365k on it. Again original drivetrain.

I prefer the look of the GMT400 & we've had a 87 Suburban since 1994, that's been relegated to ranch duty since about 2004 & was turned into a Suburbalanche a few years ago (chopped the top behind the back doors & made it a crew cab pickup).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I still want a GMT800 Suburban to turn into an overlanding rig though. That generation is near bulletproof (except for rusting rockers and quarterpanels) and cheap to fix what isn't.

My dad sold his 02 Silverado Z71 last year. 348k miles & the original engine. Trans replaced shortly before that, 2nd gear failed.
Former coworker of his has a 00 Tahoe with something like 365k on it. Again original drivetrain.

I prefer the look of the GMT400 & we've had a 87 Suburban since 1994, that's been relegated to ranch duty since about 2004 & was turned into a Suburbalanche a few years ago (chopped the top behind the back doors & made it a crew cab pickup).

Those were the good old days! My first truck was an 1989 Extended cab 2wd Silverado that my Grandfather gave my brother and I when he replaced it with a 2000.
Nothing outside of maintenance for that truck. With like 165k it went to a cousin that was always down on his luck and grandpa gave use the 2000 Z71.
The 89’s “motor blew” about six months after we gave it to the cousin. However I don’t believe that for the life of me. Maintenance was performed meticulously the entire life of the truck and drove perfectly. More likely was wrapped around a tree when he was drunk. I’d sure love to have that truck back.
2000 is still going strong with just over 100k miles.
Transfer case actuator, transfer case buttons on the dash, new brake lines, and full rockers from rust. Other than that it has been a beast for 23 years now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post