SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Ice Cream Man
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ice Cream Man Login/Join 
posted
So back in the day, what was your favorite ice cream choice once you begged your mom for a quarter and chased the ice cream truck down? Mine was a Toasted Almond from the Good Humor man.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We had "the snow cone lady" who peddled them out of the back of her hatchback and rang a bell on her roof. I was usually the flagger who ran and stopped her while my brother went to find quarters. One flavor, rainbow (three flavors I think), or around the world (everything).

This was mid-1980s.

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Push ups !
They were orange sherbet. So much better than the sherbet nowadays !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original Bomb Pops, not the crappy little ones they sell now!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
Push ups !
They were orange sherbet. So much better than the sherbet nowadays !

We called them Torpedoes in Tulsa & OKC....and you're absolutely correct, the orange sherbet rocked.

Edit: And we called him the popsicle man.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Hmmm, think that it would have been the one that was colored red, white, and blue and shaped like a rocket.

For buying at the store, Baskin Robbin's German Chocolate Cake was tops.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6003 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Nutty Buddy

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21148 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always lived in the country, even as a child growing up. Therefore we never had ice cream trucks around.

Posts: 471 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A creamsicle…...or choco taco.....

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Drumsticks....vanilla ice cream in a sugar cone dipped in chocolate with nuts on top.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Bomb pops were great. But I'd have to say a lemon Marinos Italian Ice. Loved the ice crystals on the bottom. They have them in some supermarkets now.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Strawberry Shortcake ice cream. Yum.

Posts: 1900 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
...Mine was a Toasted Almond from the Good Humor man.

I spent the summers after high school and my first year of college driving a Good Humor truck, and got to sample everything. Twice.

Toasted Almond was good, but I'm betting you forgot about the Dreamsicle -- orange sherbet over vanilla ice cream!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Oh yeah, man. Lovvvvved those. Man, that brings back memories.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding? Growing up here in Central Florida we were more than thankful for whatever he had left on the truck when he made it to our house. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Mr.Softee vanilla cone with sprinkles or shots Wink

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Man, we used to hear that rack of bells coming a 1/4 mile away and run for the corner he stopped on. None of that silly electronic music they pump out now...like having Santa’s sleigh come by every day.

As to my choice, pretty much everything on a rotation, although bomb pops were probably my favorite.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Humor Toasted Almond. Occasionally, after enjoying one, my cousin and I would decide to run down the side street to catch the same truck for a second round. But, only on the days when we had a fresh quarter in our pockets from mowing the family lawn. I wish I could move half that fast now.

Posts: 290 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Growing up in NYC we had the white suited Good Humor carts/trucks, Mr. Softie with the jingle, and the shaved ice carts. So in order my favorites were chocolate eclair, soft vanilla dipped in chocolate, and root beer.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post