SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Old False Billing/Remote Access Scam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Old False Billing/Remote Access Scam Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I just posted an explanation on Nextdoor of how this now widespread scam works. Thought I might as well paste it here as well in case anyone finds it useful. (There are a few threads on scams already, but perhaps it's useful to have an easy reference.)

It all starts with an apparent invoice from PayPal or the like for a product or service you never authorized...

quote:

1. The bill from PayPal is real, but it means nothing. Anyone can send an invoice to anyone else with an email. It doesn't mean you have to pay it. Just ignore it.

2. If you call the number they provided, they will instigate the real scam.

3. They say you need to download an app like AnyDesk to process an immediate refund. What they really want is remote control of your computer.

4. They will ask you to type in your refund amount into some kind of c: prompt, let's say 500 dollars.

5. As you type the amount, they will change the amount from their side. For example they'll add an extra zero to make it 5000 (sometimes more).

6. They will yell at you for typing wrong, and that you accidentally refunded yourself $4500, and there's no way to reverse it now.

7. They will say you need to send them the extra funds or that poor rep will lose their job and it's all your fault.

8. They will instruct you to drive to your nearest big store like Target or Walmart and purchase $4500 worth of gift cards.

9. They will ask you to read the number codes to them so they can deposit the gift cards, or simply mail them the cards directly.

10. You'll think you just saved someone's job, but in reality you're just out $4500 and possibly whatever private data they just stole from your own computer.

These crooks are literally scalping billions of dollars with this complex scheme.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
why can't the NSA hunt these people down and then send in a SEAL team to eradicate them

you only need to do that 2 or 3 times before the other scammers will take note and find a new line of work

but it could also be a continuous source of training exercises for the teams - they might like it

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I'm all for that. In the meantime, how some of these online bandits get their comeuppance...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
There is a guy on Youtube I watch called Scammer Payback.
It is fun to watch him go after the scammers and in some cases give them some of what they are doing to people.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
...In the meantime, how some of these online bandits get their comeuppance......

Kitboga is a hoot! Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
It is fun to watch him go after the scammers and in some cases give them some of what they are doing to people.

SP is another good one!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's easy to verify ~ just check you CC's if they say they are going to charge it.
If it is just a bill then ignore it.
The first sign of trouble is when they want control of your desktop with AnyDesk.
Also never respond to any provided links.
Always go to your account directly your self and verify any bills (if you have an account).
Bottom line is trust no one.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

Pirogi is hilarious. Especially when he calls back after they figure him out and hang up on him the first time.

NSA isn't needed. This guy can locate the building and floor, and show it on Google Earth. A lot of things can be done to screw with these thieves without needing a SEAL team.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post