SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snake gets up close and personal with Georgia doorbell camera in hair-raising video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake gets up close and personal with Georgia doorbell camera in hair-raising video Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
As they say, context is king. I'm not normally afraid of snakes but a big one climbing the side of my house would be a big nope for me.
quote:
Snake gets up close and personal with Georgia doorbell camera in hair-raising video

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhENOoyx9fo

A Georgia woman recently caught an unwanted guest of the reptile variety taking a close look at her doorbell camera, and the camera's footage of the snake's visit has got folks feeling pretty squeamish.

Regina Kirkland said she nearly had a heart attack when she saw a snake slowly slithered its way in front of the Ring camera near her front door on Nov. 4, 2019. The snake, on the other hand, was totally unbothered by the situation and continued to dangle from the camera.

"I am terrified of snakes," Kirkland told Storyful, reports Yahoo.com. "I still open the door and look up and down and everywhere before I even think about opening the screen door."

Thanks to the visual of the sneaky snake's head, tongue flicking, coming into frame before its long body continues to drape across the lens, there's a good chance anyone who watches Kirkland's video will be checking for snakes every time they open their front door too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Some snakes can easily climb brickwork. Somewhere I have a still pic of a black rat snake climbing up our house's bricks.

With the mortar and bricks being fairly high friction surfaces and the spaces between bricks being a good place for them to grip, brick walls are probably easier for them to climb than some trees.

We occasionally have to have pest folks come in and go into the attic after the rodents - they have noted now and then that, along with rodent droppings, 'There are shed snake skins up there, too' and we probably surprise them when we respond 'Good thing!' Wink

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that should stop those pesky door to door solicitations!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

Any resident snakeologists care to gander the type of snake? Perhaps someone's missing "pet" boa?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Harmless corn snake. I did see this recently & It's the stuff of nightmares.

A Mississippi hunter was taking the last of his dog pack back to a truck on Wednesday evening when he encountered a flooded ditch. He found a narrow spot where he could jump across. When he leaned forward to jump, he felt a severe pain on the left side of his head.

Tyler Hardy of Philadelphia, Mississippi, said the burning and swelling caused by the copperhead snake bite on his head Jan. 15, 2020, began spreading within minutes of the bite.
Tyler Hardy of Philadelphia, Mississippi, said the burning and swelling caused by the copperhead snake bite on his head Jan. 15, 2020, began spreading within minutes of the bite. (Photo: Special to Clarion Ledger)
"As soon as I leaned forward it was, 'Bam,'" said Tyler Hardy of Philadelphia. "As soon as it hit me I thought it was some sort of massive impact he struck me so hard.

"I thought somebody had shot me or hit me with an axe. It knocked the fire out of me. I just could not believe the force the snake had when it hit me."

Hardy had no idea what had hit him at the moment, but when he shined his light on a branch near his head he saw something he never expected.

"I backed up and shined my light to see what was in the tree and I saw the snake coiled up on a limb," Hardy said. "It struck at me again and fell out of the tree that time."

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I will shovel snow until I'm too crippled to move before I'll ever live in poisonous snake country again.

I don't mind snakes as long as I don't have to worry about getting bit. We have garter snakes and some sort of larger snakes (rat snakes or something of that nature) and I welcome them for their pest control virtues.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Good sized boy.
Wonder height of camera off ground.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Going into Youtube to watch the video kicks off a bit of a doorbell camera snake thread. The next video is interesting. Maybe a Burmese Python?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/JUPVjFtOK1A

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have seen black snakes climb my porch posts and trees to get to the nesting birds. Since they will go after rodents and copperhead snakes they are a friend and were welcome around the house, not so much copperheads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4838 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
We have family get togethers, and rent cabins in remote WV. Since they are only occasionally occupied, they turn the heat down when they aren’t being rented.

After a few days at a rental, I needed to do some laundry, so I picked up a pile of clothes and an unexpected 4ft corn snake. My family still laughs at me, they had never heard me scream like that, but in my defense, I also threw out my complete library of curse words.

And I’m not afraid of snakes. I had a Ball Python and a Boa Constrictor as pets. But if you aren’t expecting it, any snake will scare the crap out of you.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago in the middle of the night, I was in a horse stall with a mare that had just foaled. I looked up and hanging from the rafter was a pretty good sized blacksnake. I was afraid it might drop on the mare or foal so I drove a fence staple into the end of a 10 foot 1" by 2" board and threaded a loop of bailing twine through it. I gently roped the snake by the neck and brought him down to the ground. I was in a t-shirt and I grabbed him right behind the head and he took several hitches around my bare arm. He was pretty docile and we got along just fine. I walked him out to our west property fence and let him go. I hoped he didn't beat me back to the barn.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
The first video wasn't too bad.

The second one in this thread had me thinking Shotgun! Or maybe flame thrower!!!

Damn Snakes!

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I had a rat or corn snake surprise the shat out of me one night. I went outside to smoke just outside the front door and it came dangling down beside me from the overhang. I have to admit it made me jump and reach for my holster at first. With it being night time, I wasn’t sure what kind of snake it was until I used my flashlight.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back to the rules of life: The only good snake is a dead snake. Its your choice, tolerate them if you wish. I'll just killify them on sight.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's not like they can knock.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
LOL!!!!! Big Grin

True, but they likely could ring the bell...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Some snakes can easily climb brickwork. Somewhere I have a still pic of a black rat snake climbing up our house's bricks.

Took awhile, but I found it. Well, he's climbing down, but....

Anyway, for those who may wonder, "Just how do snakes climb bricks?", I give you:

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The only thing close I have to deal with is a wayward eel in a crab trap.
I do not like slithering things, period.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8360 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post