SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    general bug out question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

general bug out question Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Very recent example...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
thought about the BOB for me and the missus but never really took the time to set one up,

if we have time, we can pack a quick bag if needed ( I have several used backpacks etc )

biggest worry would be how to pack the cats,, since she would not leave w/o them,,,,,

my bug out to location is ~4 miles driving from my house, so not a long walk, esp if we cut thru the woods instead of staying on the roads,

have put some thought into a GHB , (get home bag) but not packed one for the car yet,

probably be a good idea

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
When I lived in the city, I had a BOB to get away from civil unrest, and out to a friend's place in the rural area.
Now that I live in a more rural area myself, my BOB has changed to more of a Natural Disaster (wildfire, hurricane) scenario.
Different situations, different setups.

That sounds wise.
Fight or flight?
The answer depends on the situation.
Still, if you have to flee you are not going to have much advance notice. So it's not a bad idea to have a bag prepared ahead of time.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had to evacuate during the Oakland forrest fires, stayed with in laws for a week.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
What's happening in Three Gorges can happen many other places.

Does anyone know what the largest, most dangerous dams in America are, if they burst?

I can think of Hoover Dam and Lake Mead of the top of my head.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The only time I would consider leaving my house is if SRHTF. I live on the very outskirts of city limits, and would not want to deal with hordes of less than favorable people coming from the center. It would make sense to pack up and get to my parents which is in the country, on a lake, with clean springs. Otherwise, I'm fairly content hunkering down for anything short term.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
We "bugged out" one night when we lost power on a 100+ degree day. That really wasn't that hard, just what we needed / wanted for an overnight stay at a local hotel.

We've had two wildfires this season that mandated evacuations in our town. We weren't in the first one, but we were in the second. Of course my wife and I (and the dog) were out of town and we had to give directions for our adult son as what to grab and go.

Needless to say, we now have a set BOB list of items and where they are in the house.

Since I've had vehicles break down in the middle of nowhere before, I always have minor repair tools, water, hats, walking shoes, and my usual EDC with me in the car.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Reading through this thread, it occurs to me that I'm IN my bug-out place.

Generator, well, septic and wood stove so services aren't a problem (until the generator runs out of propane).

65 miles from a town big enough to boast a 5 digit population.

No nukes in the state since Maine Yankee closed down. No operational railroads within 25 miles, trucking route about 5 miles away.

About the only thing I can envision is a direct hit from a hurricane. Not impossible, but given location, prevailing winds and history, highly unlikely.

The only other thing I feel is needful to prepare for is an EMP. For this reason, I carry any time I'm off my own property. I should probably put together a Get Home Bag for the car and truck tho. I do dress for the weather and when traveling in the Winter either wear, or have in the vehicle, enough clothing to weather anything short of an Ice Age.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live on top of the Hayward Fault in a 100 year old shack that sits on piers. There are a string of large and often dry regional parks about a mile from my shack. Fire often follows earthquakes. Wildfires happen. Staying put may not be an option for me and fleeing after a quake will be more difficult due to fallen trees, buckled, roads, and the narrow streets in my 'hood.

My in-laws evac'd twice due to wildfires in San Diego. Health issues made it imperative though neither time was required. One time the mandatory evac zone ended a block away.

Friends parents retired to Paradise and fled the wildfire with only the clothes on their backs with flames licking at their heels. They aren't the type to dilly dally or play dumb. It happened that fast.

Friends evac'd from the Oakland Hills fire in '91. Some as a precautionary measure as the event unfolded. One on foot carrying an elderly neighbor as the flames roared down the hill towards them. There's news footage of a classmate running down the street barefoot because traffic was bottle-necked and the flames were fast approaching.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Wow!
Well, if I lived in the Peoples Republic of Berkeley, CA I'd consider more than temporary evacuation.
I know... it's easier said than done.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the Seattle area. Traffics bad here on a normal day. There's limited routes "Out". If any quantity of people chose to "Bug Out" there'd be a traffic jam the entire length of the state- North, South and East. You'd be stuck in traffic with lots of angry people. You couldn't go forward and you couldn't go back.

Seeing how crazy people got when we lost power in Redmond for an afternoon- I'm staying home.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
If it comes to bugging out (which is a last case situation for me) I’ll go via the motorhome.
It stay loaded (minus firearms & perishable food) 7 months out of the year. I always fuel it up before parking it upon our return so it’s ready to go.
If it’s a utility outage situation we’ve walked out of the house and into the motorhome.
Fired up the onboard generator and finished our movie with the A/C on. Wink

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
THE ultimate BOB right there !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My place is my primary refuge. If it’s a run to the hills scenario I have multiple fall back locations with friends in WV. If I can drive I can throw a good bit of ammo, hardware, clothing and water in the truck in short order. If I can’t drive I’ve got water purification options, a firearm or two and a couple hundred rounds of ammo ready.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

I’m with Grumpy

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Bug Out Buses!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post