SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    general bug out question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

general bug out question Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
There's lots of material on the net regarding matching contents of a BOB to the specific situation and anticipated environment, but my question that people don't seem to talk about very much is, what are some example circumstances one would be wise to leave their home ? I don't get that. I got it when it comes to hurricane or a regional emergency of some sort, but what are more common scenarios, so to speak, that one would want to need to bug out ? When is your castle NOT the best place to be in an emergency ? When you're at home, if your're organized, you already have most everything you might need to various emergencies. Also, has anyone you've even known actually leave their home to save their lives, short of a hurricane ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, I live 2 blocks from the San Francisco Bay, so if I hears tsunami sirens, I'm outa here.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While living in L.A.,
Some got out when the Northridge quake hit,
Others lit out when The Rodney King riots started,
others waited till the o.j. riots

I imagine some went when the mud slides and fires surprised them.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know where you live, but what happens if your services go down? Electric out, water out, sewer out? What are you gonna do?

You have to think about things that don't usually happen, but could.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Locally, and it may apply to a large number of members, is if the local nuclear plant experiences an uncontrolled meltdown. Probably my first concern outside of weather related is that. Enough so I store iodine pills.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Good question.

I was just pondering the other post about what one would do with $400K.

Giving my position and other factors in life, I think I'd get a bug out location and stock it.

Nothing elaborate, nothing fancy, just remote enough to work.

YMWV You Mileage WILL Vary.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You're completely correct that your first inclination should be to hunker down in your own abode. But of course there's sitations that could force you to abandon the castle.

Your building is destroyed/compromised by earthquake. I remember in the '89 Loma Prieta residents of compromised structures were allowed 15 minutes to gather whatever they could, then no further re-entries.

You're in the middle of a hot zone. Nuclear fallout from an attack, or a plant meltdown, or a toxic cloud release, or a massive fire.

Red Dawn. The ChiComs have landed, and they're going door-to-door. Far-fetched? Given recent history, nothing's off the table.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Locally, and it may apply to a large number of members, is if the local nuclear plant experiences an uncontrolled meltdown. Probably my first concern outside of weather related is that. Enough so I store iodine pills.

I live around 3 miles from the Nuclear Power Plant in town. Even decommissioned, it is of concern.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Buggin' out is a state of mind.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
NEO - Non-combatant evacuation operations

Where in an emergency dependents are evacuated, which likely means sitting 3-7 days at a base before appropriate transportation is avaiable.

While that may never apply to anyone in the US, a while back we had a rail car turnover near the house and it was carrying lots of some chemical. So they were ordering folks near us to evacuate.

CLO2 explosion at the paper mill across the street would warrant the same or perhaps a stay indoors order depending on the circumstances.

Many emergencies caused by random accidents that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

In my experience, while a bug out bag is a great way to prepare for emergencies, I think a Car bag is MUCH more important and practical, We traveled an hour away once and a storm came and the water covered the only bridge back into town and we had to camp overnight in the car at a gas station.

In Hawaii if ANYTHING happens on H1 you can be in traffic for 3-8 hours. It's hot and sunny so water food and sun block are just some of the things that make a Car bag necessary.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Depending on where one lives I can think of many situations where leaving your residence in an emergency scenario could happen. Best to be prepared.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What's happening in Three Gorges can happen many other places. A good number of people live in flood plains. Big water can happen from a dam break, or the overflowing of a large river, or torrential rainfall. Seems to happen somewhere every year.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Run in with the drug cartel.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
There's lots of material on the net regarding matching contents of a BOB to the specific situation and anticipated environment, but my question that people don't seem to talk about very much is, what are some example circumstances one would be wise to leave their home ? I don't get that. I got it when it comes to hurricane or a regional emergency of some sort, but what are more common scenarios, so to speak, that one would want to need to bug out ? When is your castle NOT the best place to be in an emergency ? When you're at home, if your're organized, you already have most everything you might need to various emergencies. Also, has anyone you've even known actually leave their home to save their lives, short of a hurricane ?

I was of the same mindset until a wildfire blew up about a month ago when I was out of town. The wife was loading the daughter and the dogs to evacuate, having grabbed a few things, when the wind shifted and the fire went the other way. We had some damage to some equipment near the barn, our steel targets got an interesting pink splatter paint job (phos-chek or similar), and the coastal side of the ridge looks like a nuclear wasteland, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse without the windshift and the efforts of a LOT of firefighters.

We had talked about having a bug out bag and plan, but it has definitely been bumped up the priority list.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It depends where you live & what’s going on. Yes, one could bug out for weather, earthquake or other disaster.

Say one had a family & lived one block from the ‘CHOP Zone’, could be a place they don’t want to be?

It could be a variation of that ‘go bag’ in your vehicle.

Me, I don’t have any reason to move one inch, here is just fine.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
When I lived in the city, I had a BOB to get away from civil unrest, and out to a friend's place in the rural area.

Now that I live in a more rural area myself, my BOB has changed to more of a Natural Disaster (wildfire, hurricane) scenario.

Different situations, different setups.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We have a BOB for the unlikely event of having to leave the neighborhood due to some clown barricaded in a home nearby and the cops give us five minutes to leave. This is the most likely event I can figure.
If the dam breaks at Lake Belton, we are not in the way.
Nuke strike at Ft Hood, we won’t survive.
Hurricane, we are 3 hours away from Houston/beach by car...not to worried about hurricane.
Tornado, we get them occasionally in the area...haven’t figured out a place to go for shelter

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For the vast majority of people in most situations, hunkering down at home is undoubtedly better. Bugging out should be limited to:

A) When you have no choice because a looming natural disaster that will kill you or level your house is forcing your evacuation - hurricane, tsunami, wildfire, chemical spill, etc.

and/or

B) When you have a known alternate location that you have preplanned and prestocked to be a better option for hunkering down during a situation than your current house, like that retrofitted missile silo you bought and turned into a doomsday bunker, or your brother's ranch out in the boonies that you've coordinated as the family meet-up and hunker down spot, etc.

I spent a little bit of time on a couple prepper forums back in the day, and the sheer number of people there who think that if there's some huge societal collapse they're just going to grab a Bug Out Bag, load themselves down with weapons, and wander off in a random direction to go "live in the woods" boggled my mind. That disconnect from reality, along with many others, is why I don't frequent prepper forums any more.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
My home is 200 yards from a rail line and just a few hundred yards more from two intersecting bridges. Derailment concerns was one of the major reasons I started a bug-out bag and checklist.

The second is I live 1.5 and 3 miles, respectively, from large fuel storage tanks and the associated pipelines.
(I actually used to live a LOT closer and was the original genesis for creating the bag/checklist.)

Most other realistic situations, I'm bugging in.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
As most have pointed about above, there are very legit reasons for people to be at least somewhat prepped for a 'bug out,' relocate situation. If you live downwind from chemical plant (explosion) or lowland water area (tsunami), a BoB probably isn't a bad idea. The recent CA wildfires show how rapidly things can go south with a shift in the wind. Situational awareness is key in these types of events.

Frankly, if it got that bad, our 'Bag' would be our full size 4WD vehicle up to garage, hatch open, family, dog, phones, laptops, passports, whatever cash on hand we have, essential gear, food, camping equipment (maybe), and some sentimental items (photo albums), and we're outta here. ~10-15 minutes. Scanning important docs to your computer and/or a flash drive probably isn't a bad idea.

If its more truly dire than that, its probably family in the vehicle and we're driving/racing for our lives...along with everyone else in the area, which probably isn't going to end well...

The one 'prepping' thing I see that makes me thing 'ugh, no' would be trying to truly 'bug out' with an infant(s)/young children. That would be truly dire, worst case scenario...how far do you think you're going to get in the woods with a Pack'N'Play and cases of Pampers? Wink. In all seriousness...unless you have some place to go or looking a very short term situation, one would be hard pressed to abandon their home with little one(s).

A much more viable 'bag' situation is the 'get home bag.' A decent waterproof small/med. backpack or duffle with a 1-2 extra pairs of clothes, waterproof jacket, gloves, toothbrush, deodorant, some cash and maybe a spare cell phone along with a good pair of boots in your daily vehicle is a not a bad idea at all.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post