SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sisters, aged 5 and 8, who went missing two days ago, have been found
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sisters, aged 5 and 8, who went missing two days ago, have been found Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Cheery news…

“California police have confirmed that two young sisters who were missing for two days have been found.

Eight-year-old Leia Carrico and her five-year-old sister Caroline Carrico were last seen outside their home in Benbow, north west of Sacramento, on Friday at 2.30pm.

Authorities said the sisters vanished after walking off into a wooded area near their home.

Honsal said the girls were trained in outdoor survival through their local 4-H club and that authorities believed that helped them…”

https://mol.im/a/6766795

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8992 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
That is good news.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Praise God!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19222 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I am happy that they were found safe, but I'm very skeptical of their "survival training".

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
am happy that they were found safe, but I'm very skeptical of their "survival training".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah me too. Perhaps finding your way back home and use of a compass were in the next chapter.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I am happy that they were found safe, but I'm very skeptical of their "survival training".

Don't panic.

Stay put.

Stay warm.

What else is there to do?

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
stay together. find shelter out of the wind, rain. Listen for help. etc. An eight year old could have had some schooling on the basic's or slightly above.
Providing for someone else raises ones natural instinct for survival as well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19222 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Even if it just helped them stay calm, it helped.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Story wrap-up:

“The miraculous story of young California sisters who survived two nights in the woods after getting lost during a walk has made headlines across the country. 

And now Leia and Caroline Carrico, aged eight and five, are revealing just how they stayed safe for 44 hours in near-freezing temperatures before rescuers found them.

Caroline and Leia had been looking for adventure when they decided to go for a walk in the wooded area outside their home in Benbow on Friday at 2.30pm. 
'Leia wanted a little tiny adventure, but I wanted more,' Caroline told NBC Bay Area.

The girls had already asked their mother Misty Carrico if they could go for a walk. She said no, but they grabbed some granola bars and wandered off.

'It was starting to drizzle, so I knew we had to find shelter fast,' Leia said.

'We found shelter, a tree branch close to the ground, and we had my sister's rain jacket to keep us warm.' …”

https://mol.im/a/6773123

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8992 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Story wrap-up:

“The miraculous story of young California sisters who survived two nights in the woods after getting lost during a walk has made headlines across the country. 

And now Leia and Caroline Carrico, aged eight and five, are revealing just how they stayed safe for 44 hours in near-freezing temperatures before rescuers found them.

Caroline and Leia had been looking for adventure when they decided to go for a walk in the wooded area outside their home in Benbow on Friday at 2.30pm. 
'Leia wanted a little tiny adventure, but I wanted more,' Caroline told NBC Bay Area.

The girls had already asked their mother Misty Carrico if they could go for a walk. She said no, but they grabbed some granola bars and wandered off.

'It was starting to drizzle, so I knew we had to find shelter fast,' Leia said.

'We found shelter, a tree branch close to the ground, and we had my sister's rain jacket to keep us warm.' …”

https://mol.im/a/6773123

I saw them on the TV. The older girl was very self-possessed. She had the right mindset.

It was funny when she said that her younger sister cried all during the night. The littler girl showed a little flash of anger about being outed as a "crybaby." (I would probably cry now if stuck out all night in freezing weather with only a granola bar.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I saw them on the TV. The older girl was very self-possessed. She had the right mindset...

I saw that as well, and had a similar reaction.

I hope every parent hears this story and learns the value of their training. Scouting or 4-H or something similar should be part of every childhood.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9164 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post