SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Minimalist Plate Carrier
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimalist Plate Carrier Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Those of you with rifle plates, what do you like for a minimalist plate carrier?

I'm wanting to add some Level III+ plates to my active shooter kit, and am looking for a plate carrier.

I'm not on any sort of high-speed team, so I don't need a full-blown carrier with a huge cummerbund and loads of pouches. I also don't want to drop $500+ on a Gucci plate carrier, since this will spend the majority of its time riding around in a vehicle or gear bag,

Instead, I'm looking more for something simple, slim, and quick/easy to don over my existing uniform, with front and back ID panels plus the ability to carry a TQ, IFAK, and a couple rifle mags.

Something more like this:

or this:

Quick adjustment of the straps would be nice too. There are times that I work in plainclothes, so being able to grab this and quickly cinch it down to fit, regardless of whether I'm in uniform with soft armor or in plainclothes, is handy.

Plates will likely be 10x12. I've got a broad chest, and am kinda on the borderline between 10x12 and 11x14, but I think 10s will still be sufficient coverage while being significantly lighter.

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What plates are you thinking of getting? Keep in mind the steel ones are very heavy.

I have a banshee carrier with ar500 plates that I used to use. It’s nice enough, but heavy.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
cummerbund

?

I know what one is, but I associate it with a tuxedo, not body armor.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barsad0:
What plates are you thinking of getting? Keep in mind the steel ones are very heavy.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards something like AR500Armor's lightweight III+:

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar5...-asc-body-armor.html

Or Spartan Armor's Armaply III+:

https://www.spartanarmorsystem...-armor-single-plate/

A couple pounds lighter than typical steel plates, thought not as light as ceramic. I can't swing the $1k+ for a set of ceramic plates, plus I'm concerned that with them bouncing around in a vehicle and getting tossed around all the time, steel would hold up better than ceramic anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
cummerbund

?

I know what one is, but I associate it with a tuxedo, not body armor.

Similar, in that it's basically a broad waist strap/sash.

On armor, it's a wide strap that connects the back panel to the front panel. Unlike the webbing connector on the smaller plate carrier examples I posted above, the cummerbund is wider and more rigid, and usually has MOLLE, so you can mount additional pouches or even side armor plates.

The downside is that it's bulkier and takes longer to don, plus it can make accessing items on your belt tough. Better for SWAT guys, who have extra time to gear up with full-blown armor and put on their drop/offset or thigh holsters. Not so good for someone who wants to quickly don plates over your existing uniform and still use your belt gear.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Your second pic is similar to my carrier. It works. But there is nothing inside adjustment strap wise on my carrier. I think Condor made it. Make sure your carrier has something so you can adjust the plates to where you want them.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
They have many carriers, are well built, and some are just the minimalistic design you’re looking for.

https://www.511tactical.com/ta...e-plate-carrier.html

https://www.511tactical.com/ta...plate-carrier-s.html

They even have shirts that will hold a plate, but I don’t think I personally would want my plates in a shirt. I think it would pull oddly and feel funny.

https://www.511tactical.com/un...carrier-class-b.html

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Paraclete armor too. I have no idea what it costs, but that’s what was issued to me and they are pretty light.

As far as the carrier, the simpler the better.

I wish we were closer, I have 4 different sets that I’d let you mess around with.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as the carrier, the simpler the better.

Yep.

That's why I'm looking for something simple like this (only not Multicam). 2 plates. Four straps. A couple Velcro panels. And some MOLLE for a few pouches.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at Paraclete armor too. I have no idea what it costs, but that’s what was issued to me and they are pretty light.

'Bout $900 for the pair. Wink

As mentioned, ceramic armor plates are lighter than steel, but cost a lot more.

~5ish pounds vs ~9ish pounds
~$400+ vs. ~$150+

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.tacticaltailor.com...ecarriermodular.aspx

It’s hard to recommend when a full blown AWS costs the same. https://www.awsin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=52813

Check on Hesco LVL 4 plates. I picked some up during a 4th of July sale reasonably.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as the plates, I ordered a set of the Spartan steel plates. They have sales often if you check their site a couple times of week. Their swimmers cut and the curve option are nice touches. Oh, they shipped fast too.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Blackhawk carrier that fits the minimalist bill perfectly. I got it for well under $100 and it holds up very well with the plates I have in it.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Remember there is a trade off in carrier design, versus the style plates you go with. If you go with lighter plates, you can get away with less padding in the shoulders.

If you go with heavier plates, you'll need to really look at a carrier with great padding in the shoulders, or adding one of the removable padding options after the fact.

Remember, thin straps+heavy plates= misery after you have been on a scene for a couple of hours. The straps will cut into your shoulders and you will find it hard to pay attention to what is going on.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://tacticalscorpiongear.c...mor-10x12-plate.html

https://tacticalscorpiongear.c...mor-10-12-plate.html

https://tacticalscorpiongear.c...t-vest-multicam.html

I got the third one, steel. Fairly lightweight for steel, and covers the threats I believe I would ever face in a SHTF type of event.

It came as a package with a very basic carrier, I would like to upgrade it to something better than it but still basic.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I will post my set up later tonight.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I went the opposite way. I wanted a comfortable weight vest for working out. Comfort was more important than price, as my old weight vest was very uncomfortable.

I got a 5.11 TacTek plate carrier, (military) discounted for ~$120. My son started using it, so I got the same one for him. At that point I wanted contoured plates (for comfort), so I got CATI Level IIIA steel plates. Since we use these for working out, I wanted them to weigh roughly 20lbs.

That being said, they are extremely comfortable, you don’t really even notice you are wearing it, even after being covered in sweat. Once you set them up for your individual fit, it is basically 2 cummerbund velcro straps, with a third velcro flap to secure it. Takes about 5 seconds to put on, and it stays in place until you take it off.

I have no plans in actually needing it for it’s intended use, but it’s a very well built carrier, and I’ve beaten the hell out of it the last 3 years. Still going strong.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10557 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I ended up buying one of their new lightweight rifle plates, and just wear it on the front of my regular vest under a jumpsuit. It’s a little thicker than the “trauma plate” I used to have, but I figure this way, As long as they are polite enough to only use a rifle while I’m looking at them, I’m as covered as you get.

Plus, you get the smile factor when some idiot tries punching you.... right in the plate.

Bill R

Posts: 1138 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think I may end up buying a buddy's used Shellback Banshee.

Not the latest or greatest plate carrier, but it's simple, has a solid reputation, and the price is right.

I also found some options for affordable Level IV ceramic plates from companies like Hesco and RMA at ~$150 each. Slightly less expensive and slightly lighter than steel, and none of the spall or ricochet concerns of steel. Plus they're NIJ certified, unlike many of the steel plates companies I've found, whose plates are "tested to NIJ standards" but not actually NIJ certified.

(But they still weight in at about 7.5 pounds each since they're Level IV, so not that much lighter.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I will post my set up later tonight.

Bump for Kevin's (or other) input.